Safety recall on crap bikes

Old October 13th 04, 09:50 PM
flyingdutch

Default Safety recall on crap bikes

big ad in today's Age

Dunlop and Malvern Star bikes bought after July 1 2004

'These models have a potential problem with he front suspension which
can cause the front of the bike to collapse and result in potentia
injury to the user

--
flyingdutch

Old October 13th 04, 11:43 PM
hippy

"flyingdutch"

big ad in today's Age

Dunlop and Malvern Star bikes bought after July 1 2004

'These models have a potential problem with he front suspension which,
can cause the front of the bike to collapse and result in potential
injury to the user"

What I want to know is how the thousands of
other crap bikes haven't been subject to the same
sort of recall? I guess they aren't ridden enough to
actually fall apart so they remain 'in the wild'.

hippy

Old October 14th 04, 12:53 AM
DaveB

hippy wrote:
"flyingdutch"

big ad in today's Age

Dunlop and Malvern Star bikes bought after July 1 2004

'These models have a potential problem with he front suspension which,
can cause the front of the bike to collapse and result in potential
injury to the user"

What I want to know is how the thousands of
other crap bikes haven't been subject to the same
sort of recall? I guess they aren't ridden enough to
actually fall apart so they remain 'in the wild'.

hippy

Ahh the beauty of having a crap MTB that is so old and crap it doesn't
have any suspension. Suspension pah! - just one more thing that could go
wrong on the commuter.

DaveB

Old October 14th 04, 01:10 AM
hippy

"DaveB" wrote in message
Ahh the beauty of having a crap MTB that is so old and crap it doesn't
have any suspension. Suspension pah! - just one more thing that could go
wrong on the commuter.

Suspension is for wimps ;-)

You don't need an old mtb either.. you can ride around
"fully rigid" on new-fangled, expensive beasties like this
too:
http://www.singletrackworld.com/mod/...ges/1479-9.jpg

and not so expensive:
http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/inbred.shtml

hippy

Old October 14th 04, 03:03 AM
byron27

flyingdutch Wrote:

'These models have a potential problem with he front suspension which
can cause the front of the bike to collapse and result in potentia
injury to the user"

I cant remember which issue of MTB Australia it was, but it was year
ago now, showing my age.....anyhow!, they took a so called "off road
bike from kmart (cost 150) out onto so singletrack and gave it
flogging. After one lap of the course the bike was in a very sad stat
disrepair.
Surely there should be some regulation on what can be called a
"offroad" or "MTB"?

--
byron27

Old October 14th 04, 04:06 AM
SteveDel

I'm also amused and confused by the sticker generally hidden somewher
on the "MTB" which states it shouldn't be ridden off-road!

stevedel

Old October 15th 04, 01:49 AM
TP

My diamondback sport with avid disks & mazzochi Bombers costing $2000 + has
same sticker ..not designed for jumping & off road use ect........

Old October 15th 04, 04:14 AM
Tamyka Bell

TP wrote:

My diamondback sport with avid disks & mazzochi Bombers costing $2000 + has
same sticker ..not designed for jumping & off road use ect........

Yeah so did my $600 apollo. Oh, I guess that probably WAS a crap bike.
Hey, but my Trek 6500 had no such label - just warnings that I needed to
care for my shox. Duh.

Had to laugh at my Dad the other day, he wants to keep his two Malvern
Star Renegade bikes, one red/white and one white/blue from the 80's.
They're quite cute, I fixed one a while ago and rode it to the hair
salon, down the hill from my place. Nearly didn't get it back up the
hill as it weighed almost as much as I did. He won't give them to
Lifeline, he thinks he can sell them. I think he might manage 2 for
$10... I mean, he'd pay people that to take them.

(Hint hint, if you're in BrisVegas and want a Renegade (ooooh) let me
know.)

Old October 15th 04, 06:05 AM
Daniel S

"byron27" wrote in message

flyingdutch Wrote:

'These models have a potential problem with he front suspension which,
can cause the front of the bike to collapse and result in potential
injury to the user"

I cant remember which issue of MTB Australia it was, but it was years
ago now, showing my age.....anyhow!, they took a so called "off road"
bike from kmart (cost 150) out onto so singletrack and gave it a
flogging. After one lap of the course the bike was in a very sad state
disrepair.
Surely there should be some regulation on what can be called an
"offroad" or "MTB"??

--
byron27

The funny thing is, half of these bikes have big stickers on them saying
"not designed for off-road use", but they get marketed as a MOUNTAIN bike.

A friend of mine who's reasonably heavy set bought a "Royce Union" (despite
my protests) from Kmart and it took him about three rides to bend the front
rim so much that it can't rotate in the brakes anymore.

-- Daniel

Adams Trail-a-Bike - SAFETY RECALL audrey UK 4 May 21st 05 12:57 PM
Truss instead of tube in bicycle frame? Rado bladteth Rzeznicki Techniques 55 November 7th 04 07:37 AM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
Mutant Road Bikes Dave Mayer Techniques 52 March 11th 04 06:45 AM