Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 28th 05, 08:52 AM
cfsmtb

Default Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run

Just as some of us thought, McGee gets a slap on the wrist. How lon
does it take for a lawyer to earn $3K?

$3K for a life, and 12 months of cab charges?

F ing pathetic!

Lawyer fined for fatal hit-run
http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au...5E1702,00.html
28apr05
A PROMINENT Adelaide lawyer who killed a cyclist in a hit and run an
failed to stop has been fined $3100 and disqualified from driving fo
12 months.

Eugene McGee, a former police officer, sat expressionless as hi
sentence was delivered by Chief Judge Terry Worthington in Sout
Australia's District Court.

McGee, 50, was driving a four-wheel drive vehicle when it was involve
in a fatal collision with father-of-two Ian Humphrey in SA's Baross
Valley in November 2003.

McGee, a lawyer who has acted in high profile criminal cases includin
the Snowtown bodies-in-barrels trials, did not stop at the scene an
was arrested by police some six-and-a-half hours after the collision.

The lawyer was earlier this month acquitted of dangerous driving bu
found guilty of the lesser crime of driving without due care.

McGee had earlier pleaded guilty to failing to stop at the scene of a
accident and failing to render assistance.

Judge Worthington today gave McGee a $2300 fine for the failing to sto
and render assistance charges, and an $800 fine for driving without du
care.

McGee's driving licence was suspended for 12 months on each charge, bu
Judge Worthington said the licence disqualifications would be serve
concurrently.

Earlier today, the widow of the dead cyclist confronted McGee in court
saying she did not hate the lawyer but pitied him.

Giving a victim impact statement during sentencing submissions in th
court, Di Gilchrist told McGee: "You killed my husband."

"I do not hate you, I pity you," she said as she stood about a metr
away from McGee in the courtroom today.

"I wake up in the hope that this has all been a bad dream.

"I would give up all my tomorrows to have one more day with Ian."

McGee told his trial he had been drinking wine at a lunch hours befor
the collision, but did not consider himself affected by alcohol

--
cfsmtb