cassette clockwise arrow 40 nm

Old March 6th 17, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default cassette clockwise arrow 40 nm

Hello again everyone!

Now I've moved on from the Swedish and
Norwegian standard bikes of the 70s into the
most recent of bike technology, namely the
mountain-bike or "MTB"!

I read on the cassette that you should pull it
40 nm. There is even an arrow pointing the way.
It is the well-known way, but OK.

I know there is a tool for this - torque
wrench, right?

I don't have one, but I do have the everyday
half-inch ratchet, and the special socket with
all the teeth (?) -
of 40 nm, I know only this is a lot and the
reason I know this is every time I remove it, it
is stuck like, very firmly!

When I pull, I hear a crash sound three or
four times. This seems to be normal.

I asked the local guru who did bikes since the
80s. He also claimed he was a master after only
two years. Anyway he suggested it was sand!
But I'm not that stupid I don't make the parts
rudimentary clean before I operate them. So it
is not sand. Besides the sound is much to big
to be sand.

Anyway what do you guys make of all this?

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 6th 17, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 06/03/2017 3:19 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

Get a torque wrench and tighten it to 40nm.
Old March 7th 17, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Duane wrote:

Get a torque wrench and tighten it to 40nm.

Indeed, I'm all for getting the right gear!

Eventually I hope to own every single tool
there is for doing bikes. And I'm getting
closer! I even have ancient Torpedo tools
("hook wrenches?") for their ring lock nuts -
you need two of those to seal their 3-speed
hub - the only tools for the entire hub by the
way!

Nowadays, it is almost fun realizing there is
a tool you don't have, at least if you can get
it

A torque wrench which is half-inch, 45 cm, and
28-210 Nm is 339 SEK ~($44, £36, or €42) at the
quality-tool shop so yes, in the long run
I sure hope to get one of those, God willing.

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 7th 17, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 12:41:56 PM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
[...]

I have a couple of torque wrenches, but my cassette took does not have a socket wrench fitting -- so I use a adjustable wrench. Go ahead and hate on me, but I just give the lock ring a good yank. With the serrations, loosening is unlikely. But now I feel bad and will go out and find a tool with a socket wrench fitting.

-- Jay Beattie
Old March 7th 17, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

jbeattie wrote:

lock ring a good yank. With the serrations

Where are those, one the spacers
mentioned earlier?

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 7th 17, 06:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 8:39:57 PM UTC-8, Emanuel Berg wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

lock ring a good yank. With the serrations

Where are those, one the spacers
mentioned earlier?

I advise you not to listen to anyone else on this subject except Al Muzi.

You don't need a torque wrench but it's nice to have one and the adapter to work with your cassette key.

Otherwise tighten firm and not real tight. I think that the "crash" you're talking about is the serrations/semi-ratchet teeth on the inside of the lock ring. These are to keep the lock ring from backing off if it isn't tight enough.

The cassette should NOT rattle. If it does there is an incorrect spacer.

I assume that you know the difference between a freewheel and a freehub.

If you have a vernier caliper you can measure the spacers and let Muzi know and he can straighten things out.

Old March 7th 17, 07:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

nil wrote:

jbeattie wrote:

lock ring a good yank. With the serrations
Where are those, one the spacers
mentioned earlier?

I advise you not to listen to anyone else on
this subject except Al Muzi.

During the Russian revolution civil war the
Reds didn't have any visible rank system to
tell their soldiers apart. Still, everyone knew
who was the boss. A good system, I'd say...

Otherwise tighten firm and not real tight.
I think that the "crash" you're talking about
is the serrations/semi-ratchet teeth on the
inside of the lock ring. These are to keep
the lock ring from backing off if it isn't
tight enough.

So, the lock ring bolt has serrations on the
inside that has a semi-ratcheting property...
but contrary to a real ratchet which goes
"chirr chirr chirr" this goes "crash crash
crash" with proportionally the more power in
between and larger chunks of movement?

Man, I have a bucket of worn out cassettes.
Perhaps picking one apart is educational...

The cassette should NOT rattle. If it does
there is an incorrect spacer.

I don't know if "rattle" is the sound.
When fiddling with the cassette some two or
three (?) sprockets were moving along, possibly
making some sound, actually I don't remember,
but if they did it wasn't very loud or alarming
in character. The sprockets were not spinning
but the amount of force to make them move was
minimal. They seemed to be moving in small
chunks. The cassette was brand new as said.
When I put it on and pulled with the ratchet
and socket, it crashed into a new position
I think three times, and possibly if I had
continued to pull, I could make more such
sounds/movements. With every crash sound, it
moved perhaps 30 degrees.

I assume that you know the difference between
a freewheel and a freehub.

OK?

If you have a vernier caliper you can measure
the spacers and let Muzi know and he can
straighten things out.

This particular cassette is already on a bike
but I will see if I can pick apart another,
spent cassette and get back to you. However it
could be another brand but why not.

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 7th 17, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

jbeattie wrote:

lock ring a good yank. With the serrations

Where are those, one the spacers
mentioned earlier?

I advise you not to listen to anyone else on this subject except Al Muzi.

You don't need a torque wrench but it's nice to have one and the adapter to work with your cassette key.

The Park cassette tool -- a least the one I have -- doesn't have a female socket fitting. One could use a 1" socket on the end of a torque wrench. It appears that the Park tool is sized for a 1" wrench/socket. Or one could buy the Shimano tool that has a female socket fitting.

40nm is about 30 foot pounds -- about the recommended torque for old square drive crank bolts. It would take a lot of torque to strip a steel freehub body and steel lock ring, and if it were under-torqued (but still given a good twist), the serrations would hold the lock ring. But, again, its always good to follow recommended torque specs.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 7th 17, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Usually cassette//hub ...from the LBS.. I have 3-4 ...

you should acclimate .... doahn grind you teeth
Old March 7th 17, 06:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 11:39:57 PM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

lock ring a good yank. With the serrations

Where are those, one the spacers
mentioned earlier?

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -

There are serrations on both the last cog and the lockring. When you tighten the lockring at first you'll hear a number of clicks as those serrations engage each other.

Cheers

Clockwise or counter coterock Racing 7 February 15th 11 04:33 AM
Ride Report and Photos: Mt. Hamilton Loop Clockwise, April 2006 Bill Bushnell Rides 0 May 24th 06 03:38 PM
Where To Buy A 19" Arrow Rim? Evan Byrne Unicycling 7 October 20th 05 01:39 PM
Where To Buy A 19" Arrow Rim? Evan Byrne Unicycling 0 October 20th 05 12:45 AM
Priority Arrow Right Of Way Jack Ouzzi UK 37 November 14th 04 11:26 PM