Cartridge bottom brackets

Old April 25th 17, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Cartridge bottom brackets

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 11:09:08 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 5:57:08 PM UTC-4, James wrote:
Snipped
"a lot" seems a considerable exaggeration. SirRidesABit more like.

--
JS

James likes to post bull**** comments. PLON!

Cheerio

Soon you won't be reading anyone on this forum, Rideablot.

Andre Jute
Oh woe!
Old April 25th 17, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 8:05:04 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 10:52:40 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 9:21:33 AM UTC-7, wrote:

No matter who you are there are ALWAYS others that ride more than you do every week or year. Some Italian that rides 10,000 miles per year when they have long and hard winters certainly made my 10,000 miles a year look like a breeze.

Racking up miles can become neurotic or compulsive behavior, particularly for a non-racer. It's like Rain Man on a bike.

Listening to current racers and reading the Velo News articles, the notion that riding zillions of miles will make you fast isn't true. In the '70s, that was training. More miles! It's a lot more scientific now, although some of my son's cohorts still rack up big miles.

Speaking of my son, he was in a race last week near Salt Lake -- sort of an ordinary road race with a lot of categories and a fair-sized total pack. It certainly wasn't a big regional race. Anyway, Utah has a pro team, Canyon -- a bike shop team (not the bike maker) that signed former superstar and blood-doper Francisco Mancebo. So Francisco was there. Gawd, how depressing to be some former Eurostar riding for a bike shop team in a 60-70 mile local race. I think I would quit and get a regular job.

Jay, very often these kids (I'm 72 - Mancebo is a kid) have little to no education. While some take naturally to learning others do not. This may be the most money he can make.

And no matter how scientific you get the greater part of training is miles.

Yeah. I remember someone posting links here to stories about the early TdF riders, for whom racing (and doping -- its nothing new) was the only escape from truly grinding interwar poverty. IIRC, at the time Jobst, who'd known some of these early racers when they turned brazier, seemed to confirm those stories.

Andre Jute
History repeats itself -- well, almost.