torque wrench issues

Old April 23rd 17, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default torque wrench issues

On 4/22/2017 10:05 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 22:37:42 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/22/2017 7:35 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

This expert:
http://www.tmj4.com/news/photos-pres...ers-in-kenosha

Recommends these:
http://www.snaponindustrialbrands.co...e-wrenches.htm

Never heard of Snap-on Tools. Is it a quality
brand made in the US? Do they actually
manufacture the tools in the US or is it
a matter of getting the gear from Asia and then
putting a sticker on it? If they do R&D in the
US I suppose there is some cred to it, however
in the long run that must pose a problem the
more you are disattached from actual floor work
because many good ideas appear there and not in
front of a computer... Optimally you'd like the
floor AND the computer!

In America, Snap-On tools are frequently judged to be The Best. At
least around here, a distinctive Snap-On truck will periodically visit
shops that have a business relationship with the company. Mechanics
(for instance) will buy tools they need from the driver of the truck.

Mac and Herbrand used to have "wagon jobbers" as well. Herbrand is
apparently gone - I still see the MAC trucks on the road. I bought a
fair bit of Herbrand years ago. Ralph Clark was the local dealer for
as long as I can remember, and there was no nicer, more accomodating
guy in the business. He was a lot easier to deal with than the
numerous Snappies that came and went - the prices were better than
Snappy, and the quality was excellent.

My original base tool kit was Craftsman back in 1969.

In 1969 Crafstman were USA forged (by SK if I recall) but
that's all changed now. We use a lot of Snap On which is
deathly expensive but well worth the price for heavily used
items.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 23rd 17, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 09:43:46 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

In 1969 Crafstman were USA forged (by SK if I recall) but
that's all changed now. We use a lot of Snap On which is
deathly expensive but well worth the price for heavily used
items.

The Craftsman brand is now owned by Stanley Black & Decker.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craftsman_(tools)
Who owns which tool companies might be useful:
http://toolguyd.com/tool-brands-corporate-affiliations/

I recently bought a Craftsman 10 pc 3/8" drive metric socket wrench
set #934554. The box was sealed closed, so I couldn't inspect it
before buying. I wouldn't have bought it had I seen it in advance:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-6-pt-3-8-in-standard/p-00934553000P
It works, but the design, finish, and overall quality are seriously
lacking. However, it was only $10 (on sale), so I can't really
complain.

Incidentally, it still says "Lifetime Warranty" on the label. Now all
I have to do is determine which lifetime warranty:
https://www.craftsman.com/customer-care/warranty-information

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old April 23rd 17, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

I really don't know what to compare Snape-On and Craftsman tools to. One of the things that bothers me is the ware on things like box-end wrenches that eventually lead to them rounding off bolts and nuts.

But perhaps this is only a problem with me being so damn old (barely in my prime compared to JB) that the tools have simply been worn out.
Old April 24th 17, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 12:04:21 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

[...]

And that is exactly the point. "Cheap" sells.

Harbor Freight started as a guy who imported a container full of cheap
Chinese tools and sold them out of his garage. Walmart, the largest
retailer in the world, I believe, sells cheap stuff. Way back when,
both Volkswagen and the Japanese cars sold because they were cheap.

Grin and bear it, "cheap" is desirable :-)

Old April 24th 17, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

:Incidentally, it still says "Lifetime Warranty" on the label. Now all
:I have to do is determine which lifetime warranty:
:https://www.craftsman.com/customer-care/warranty-information

Sears will likely die first. Stanley recently bought the Craftsman
brand (rather, agreed to do so, sale isn't final yet.). They did not
buy (rather, get paid for) the warranty obligation of existing tools.
So when sears fails, and it will, having been run into the ground by
a Randian idiot, there will be no warranty. Stanley may choose, out
of good will, to honor the warranty.

--
sig 7
Old April 24th 17, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
[...]

Harbor Freight makes no bones about being cheap. Craftsman, on the
other hand, are one of many brands that replaced good quality goods
with crap, but still charge the same price they did when they sold
good stuff. The set Jeff bought can be had from HF for much less (and
very nearly the same stuff, they're both made by Apex for the
respective retailers.) HF's good line of tools are actually pretty
nice.

--
sig 39
Old April 24th 17, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

John B Slocomb wrote:
:Snap-on is a tool manufacturer that sells top grade tools, and very
:expensive tools they are too. They also own at least one company that
:makes and sells a cheaper brand.

:They guarantee their tools.

No. They don't. They pretend to. The actual warranty is crap, and
conditional on continuing to spend money with them, and good will with
your local pusher.

--
sig 40
Old April 24th 17, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 2:27:07 PM UTC-4, David Scheidt wrote:
John B Slocomb wrote:
:Snap-on is a tool manufacturer that sells top grade tools, and very
:expensive tools they are too. They also own at least one company that
:makes and sells a cheaper brand.

:They guarantee their tools.

No. They don't. They pretend to. The actual warranty is crap, and
conditional on continuing to spend money with them, and good will with
your local pusher.

--
sig 40

Sounds like PAARK TOOLS when I told them about two tools I had of theirs that broke after little use. When I bought those tools I was told Park had a lifetime warranty. Park told me there was only a limited warranty and those two tools didn't meet it. based on that experience I now look for less expensive tools and tools other than Park.

Cheers
Old April 25th 17, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

:wrote:

[...]

Correct. As I said, "Cheap Sells". Walmart is also based on that
theory.

Back in the day, a man bought a well made, from good cloth, suit and
could wear it his whole life. Maybe even pass it down to his son when
he died. Now, that was cheap.

But that is no longer the style. Buy a $500 suit that he/she can wear
for the next 50 years. You're crazy. Better this $0.99 shirt that will
have to be replaced by Friday :-)

Old April 25th 17, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

John B Slocomb wrote:
:Snap-on is a tool manufacturer that sells top grade tools, and very
:expensive tools they are too. They also own at least one company that
:makes and sells a cheaper brand.

:They guarantee their tools.

No. They don't. They pretend to. The actual warranty is crap, and
conditional on continuing to spend money with them, and good will with
your local pusher.

--
sig 40

Sounds like PAARK TOOLS when I told them about two tools I had of theirs that broke after little use. When I bought those tools I was told Park had a lifetime warranty. Park told me there was only a limited warranty and those two tools didn't meet it. based on that experience I now look for less expensive tools and tools other than Park.

I've never owned a Part Tool tool as I always thought that they were
over priced but I do see a lot of professional shops using their stuff
so I've always assumed that it didn't break too often.

TORQUE WRENCH ? kolldata Techniques 3 June 22nd 11 04:04 AM
Torque Wrench Use Graham Sharman Techniques 11 July 3rd 07 11:04 PM
which torque wrench? Steve Watkin UK 69 September 1st 06 04:54 PM