Good bike shop

Old August 18th 04, 10:02 AM
Dr Darth

Default Good bike shop

Hunting around the internet for a good price on a 2004 Sirrus Sport
and can't seem to find anyone selling them for less than £499. Is
this price fixing or what?

Darth.
Old August 18th 04, 10:26 AM
Peter Clinch

Dr Darth wrote:
Hunting around the internet for a good price on a 2004 Sirrus Sport
and can't seem to find anyone selling them for less than =A3499. Is
this price fixing or what?

If a line is selling well enough there's nothing much to gain from=20
discounting it, except in the very short term. So people don't, and=20
stick to the SRP.

If you can find a local shop selling it at all it'll probably be at the=20
same price and you can reap the benefits of buying from a place that=20
will set it up for you and let you try it out before putting your money=20
down. IMHO that sort of thing is worth more in the longer term than=20
saving =A320.

Pete.
--=20
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Old August 18th 04, 11:23 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Dr Darth wrote:

Hunting around the internet for a good price on a 2004 Sirrus Sport
and can't seem to find anyone selling them for less than £499. Is
this price fixing or what?

I am unable to find anybody who will sell me a new carbon Windcheetah for
£50. Price-fixing, gotta be.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
University

Old August 18th 04, 01:23 PM
Keith Willoughby

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Dr Darth wrote:

Hunting around the internet for a good price on a 2004 Sirrus Sport
and can't seem to find anyone selling them for less than £499. Is
this price fixing or what?

I am unable to find anybody who will sell me a new carbon Windcheetah for
£50. Price-fixing, gotta be.

Condsidering your excoriation of Bill Zaumen for making dishonest
arguments, you've got a damned cheek here.

I have seen the enemy, and he is quite short.
Old August 18th 04, 02:21 PM
Clive George

"Keith Willoughby" wrote in message
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Dr Darth wrote:

Hunting around the internet for a good price on a 2004 Sirrus Sport
and can't seem to find anyone selling them for less than £499. Is
this price fixing or what?

I am unable to find anybody who will sell me a new carbon Windcheetah

for
£50. Price-fixing, gotta be.

Condsidering your excoriation of Bill Zaumen for making dishonest
arguments, you've got a damned cheek here.

I'll bite : what's dishonest about the analogy?

cheers,
clive

Old August 18th 04, 02:46 PM
Dave Larrington

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Dr Darth wrote:

Hunting around the internet for a good price on a 2004 Sirrus Sport
and can't seem to find anyone selling them for less than £499. Is
this price fixing or what?

I am unable to find anybody who will sell me a new carbon
Windcheetah for £50. Price-fixing, gotta be.

Condsidering your excoriation of Bill Zaumen for making dishonest
arguments, you've got a damned cheek here.

I'll bite : what's dishonest about the analogy?

Never mind all that, what's a Darth doing looking for a stick bike? Eh?
EH??

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 18th 04, 02:59 PM
Keith Willoughby

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Dr Darth wrote:

Hunting around the internet for a good price on a 2004 Sirrus Sport
and can't seem to find anyone selling them for less than £499. Is
this price fixing or what?

I am unable to find anybody who will sell me a new carbon Windcheetah

for
£50. Price-fixing, gotta be.

Condsidering your excoriation of Bill Zaumen for making dishonest
arguments, you've got a damned cheek here.

I'll bite : what's dishonest about the analogy?

It's not an analogy at all. It was simple mocking.

The reason you can't find a carbon Windcheetah for 50 quid is that they
cost a bajillion times that to make. It's perfectly possible that the
reason you can't find a 2004 Sirrus Sport for less than 499 quid is
price-fixing, especially if 499 is the RRP, considering that similar
price fixing via 'minimum pricing' is hardly uknown in
manufacturer/dealer relationships such as this. Guy, however, evidently
couldn't be bothered to debate the issue, preferring to take the ****
out of the OP by using an absurd extrapolation that has little to do
with the original point. Which would hardly bare comment normally,
except I've been reading Guy making about a hundred posts criticising
Bill Zaumen for similar lapses in logic, honesty, and politeness.

"I've got nothing against your right leg.
Unfortunately, neither have you."
Old August 18th 04, 03:43 PM
Michael MacClancy

On 18 Aug 2004 02:02:11 -0700, Dr Darth wrote:

Hunting around the internet for a good price on a 2004 Sirrus Sport
and can't seem to find anyone selling them for less than £499. Is
this price fixing or what?

Darth.

I don't think that any of them have anything to gain by making their
discount policy public knowledge on the net.

I suspect that if you actually visit a few shops (i.e. physically, in
person) and talk to them you'll find them willing to do deals. These may
take various forms such as price discounts or free bits and pieces like
pumps, lights and pedals.

If they won't do deals it's because they don't need your business at lower
prices.
--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his
Old August 18th 04, 08:42 PM
Tumbleweed

"Dr Darth" wrote in message
om...
Hunting around the internet for a good price on a 2004 Sirrus Sport
and can't seem to find anyone selling them for less than £499. Is
this price fixing or what?

Darth.

These are popular bikes so why would the shop discount them if they are
selling anyway? When I tried to buy a Spec Comp from my LBS a few weeks back
they were sold out at all 3 shops, and the factory was as well, and they
arent making any more, they are now gearing up for the 2005 bikes. Evans in
London might have some Sports, they have got some comps and elites.
BW looking at the Spec web site, next years Sirrus wont have triples, they
will be doubles, 53/36 (from memory) rather than 52/42/30. That doesnt sound
like an improvement to me....or do the the ranges overlap enough that it
makes no diff in practice?

FWIW if you are small, evans have the 2003 Spec Sport for only £350. (only
got size 47 according to their web site)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old August 18th 04, 08:50 PM
Tony Raven

Keith Willoughby wrote:

Condsidering your excoriation of Bill Zaumen for making dishonest
arguments, you've got a damned cheek here.

The reason you can't find a carbon Windcheetah for 50 quid is that they
cost a bajillion times that to make.

Bajillion times? Considering your excoriation of Guy for making
dishonest arguments, you've got a damned cheek here ;-)

Tony

Looking for a good bike shop in Montreal Daniel Crispin General 4 June 13th 04 12:12 AM
Convert Hybrid to Touring bike Willy Smallboy Techniques 23 March 26th 04 02:03 PM
Canadian Tire bike: Super Cycle Gravity cam Mountain Biking 15 March 22nd 04 09:11 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ kingsley Australia 4 December 15th 03 12:08 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM