Comfy performance bikes

Old July 8th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

Default Comfy performance bikes

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 16:40:10 -0500, DougC wrote:

Saddle comfort is a major issue that a lot of riders have, and most bike
shops can't seem to solve it. If they could they'd only need to sell ONE
saddle, and they wouldn't bother sticking any padded shorts, because
nobody would ever want to buy them.

My ass isn't exactly the same as yours; why should my saddle be?

Or, less churlishly:

Human beings come in a number of shapes and sizes, from the tiny (my
babybro on his new bike) to the immense (the redoubtable Chalo Collina,
rec.bicycles.* regular). Surely you're not suggesting that the same
saddle fits *all* of these people?

Why, if what you're saying is true, I've been wasting my time all these
years buying shoes that fit my feet, gloves that fit my hands, hats that
fit my head...I should just be using all your stuff instead!

Saddle comfort is a major issue and can be solved with patience. Sadly,
patience is the one thing that is in increasingly short supply in this day
and age.

-Luigi

(synthetic shorts are still a good idea for the moisture-wicking benefit)
~

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com
Old July 9th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
:: Saddle comfort is a major issue and can be solved with patience.

You seem to have left out the part about $$$.

Old July 9th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Roger Zoul" writes:
Luigi de Guzman wrote:
:: Saddle comfort is a major issue and can be solved with patience.

You seem to have left out the part about $$$.

We don't like to think about that ;-)

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old July 9th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
MsJimmi

On Jul 7, 6:48 pm, "Zen Cohen" wrote:
I like to ride fast but now that I'm in my 40's my body doesn't withstand
the road shocks as well. Are bikes like Specialized Roubaix, Trek Pilot and
Cannondale Synapse really that more comfortable than road bikes with racing
configs? I rode a Roubaix around the LBS parking lot and it felt pretty good
but the only way to really know is on a longer road ride.

Comments appreciated.

Great comments in your responses. You would do well to take from that
and use what will serve you best.. Maybe your bike shop will let you
try a longer ride on your favorite..
My comments: A well fitted bike, saddle and wheel/tire combination.
I ride a carbon fiber Calfee Luna pro, with Krysrium wheels, Vrenstein
tires at suggested air pressure. You're just a kid in your forties.
I'm almost 60, had back surgery, both knees scoped and have a t-
shaped plate holding my wrist together..I manage to get in 150-200
miles a week. I also have a profile bar on the bike for riding the
flats, sprinting and it also lets me stretch out my back on longer
rides.
Don't forget good padded gloves for hands and of course a great
helmet!! Be safe out there and keep on pedaling! Lyn

Old July 9th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 19:16:31 -0400, Roger Zoul wrote:

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
:: Saddle comfort is a major issue and can be solved with patience.

You seem to have left out the part about $$$.

Don't know. Maybe I have a standard-issue posterior, but I've had good
luck with simply adjusting my saddle to a point where it works on my bike.

I'll have to spend some dosh to get a new saddle for the old bike,
though--that never did work for me, and now that I know what *does*, I'll
be sure to get it.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com
Old July 9th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 16:21:02 -0700, Tom Keats wrote:

In article ,
"Roger Zoul" writes:
Luigi de Guzman wrote:
:: Saddle comfort is a major issue and can be solved with patience.

You seem to have left out the part about $$$.

We don't like to think about that ;-)

Think of the weight savings when you remove all that cash from your wallet!

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com
Old July 9th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DougC

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

My ass isn't exactly the same as yours; why should my saddle be?

Believe it or not--there are bicycles that basically only come available
with ONE seat, and that seat is comfortable enough for the vast majority
of humanity.

The RANS Zenetic is one such bicycle (although I think there are plastic
and carbon-fiber versions, so I suppose that's two seats).
~
Old July 9th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:14:56 -0500, DougC wrote:

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

My ass isn't exactly the same as yours; why should my saddle be?

Believe it or not--there are bicycles that basically only come available
with ONE seat, and that seat is comfortable enough for the vast majority
of humanity.

The RANS Zenetic is one such bicycle (although I think there are plastic
and carbon-fiber versions, so I suppose that's two seats).
~

RANS recumbents are not universally available. I can't justify the
additional cost and hassle (won't fit on bike racks on buses/cars/trains,
etc.)

They're perfectly sensible bicycles, I'm sure, but the fact is that saddle
pain is not a problem if you learn to set up your (diamond-frame) bicycle
correctly.

In my case, it's a cheap fix: study, some time with an allen wrench, and
off I go.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com
Old July 9th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66

Zen Cohen wrote:
I like to ride fast but now that I'm in my 40's my body doesn't withstand
the road shocks as well. Are bikes like Specialized Roubaix, Trek Pilot and
Cannondale Synapse really that more comfortable than road bikes with racing
configs? I rode a Roubaix around the LBS parking lot and it felt pretty good
but the only way to really know is on a longer road ride.

Comments appreciated.

The Roubaix on 25 tires seems smoother on chip seal roads than my
regular bike, an Allez Elite on 23 tires. Wheelbase is a little longer
on the Roubaix, so it also feels more stable. Other than that, I am not
sure that I can tell a huge difference for the extra cost, but the ride
is somewhat more comfortable, in my opinion. If you could try it out on
rougher roads, you might be able to draw your own, better conclusions.
Also, when I was looking around, there was one base model Roubaix that
was aluminum. All the others were CF.
Old July 10th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Doug Cimper wrote:
Luigi de Guzman wrote:

My ass isn't exactly the same as yours; why should my saddle be?

Believe it or not--there are bicycles that basically only come available
with ONE seat, and that seat is comfortable enough for the vast majority
of humanity.

The RANS Zenetic is one such bicycle (although I think there are plastic
and carbon-fiber versions, so I suppose that's two seats).

I doubt that the Zenetic seat is as comfortable as the one on my RANS
Rocket.

Performance Bikes catzz66 General 30 June 30th 07 05:20 AM
Performance Recumbent bikes [email protected] Techniques 0 February 28th 07 11:57 PM
Performance Recumbent Bikes are available now. [email protected] Recumbent Biking 1 February 19th 07 12:08 AM
New Comfort Performance Bikes [email protected] Techniques 12 February 27th 05 01:03 PM
Do good value for performance bikes have to be American? Jo Stoller UK 23 June 15th 04 08:31 PM