Road Uni Tire Clearance?

Old December 30th 04, 04:33 AM
Erin

Default Road Uni Tire Clearance?

Here's a general question about clearance between the frame and the tire
on a uni intended to be riden on the road.

In searching in the archives for information on tire clearance I came
across quite a bit of discussion with regards to clearance for MUni
tires both under the crown and along the forks. But I haven't read much
about is clearance for, say a Big Apple on a 29'er frame.

Of course less clearance would be necessary between frame and tire for a
uni that will not be encountering mud and loose riding surfaces. So
what set up are you riding on the road and how little clearance are you
getting away with? Do share.

--
Erin - Onewheeler

Ride more, with less.
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

Old December 30th 04, 05:43 AM
UniBrier

If it don't rub you got enough clearance.

That's probably true for the Big Apple and smooth road tires. I've got
Blue Shift on loan from Harper with a Big Apple. It's clearance is so
tight you can't see daylite between the crown and tire. Its picked up
some road grit but nothing that affects performance.

A tire with more aggressive tread may pick up more stuff than the B.A.

Fortunate for you the B.A. is as big as it gets.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. - C.
S. Lewis

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old December 30th 04, 05:08 PM
sarah.miller

Paper hin clearence is OK on a road tyre so long as you watch WHAT your
riding in! new laid or really soft in the sun tar and chippings can
cause a problem, even with a bigger clearence. I had a face plant from
the coker thanks to picking up a tarry chipping like that on the C2C
ride the other year!

SArah

--
sarah.miller - unicycist
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

Old December 30th 04, 05:15 PM
DigitalDave

sarah.miller wrote:
* I had a face plant from the coker thanks to picking up a tarry
chipping like that on the C2C ride the other year!

SArah *

Yikes!

--
DigitalDave - scabless

'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
(http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
'19,774 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8304204)

my will to live was stronger than my will to die - iggy pop
what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger - i dunno
DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003

Old June 28th 05, 08:53 AM
roadkill

Sorry to pick-up on an old thread, but this one is interesting.

It seems that a few are suggesting that paper thin clearance is fine for
the road.

I have found that tire dimensions can change quite a bit from cold
(before a ride) to hot (after riding awhile). The Big Apple is a large
volume tire and expands a bit after turning the cranks for a few miles.

I was going to take a few pics for illustration but found this gallery
that pretty well shows it (center photo and text):
'Here' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/bigapple)

--
roadkill - Crash Test Dummy

" Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines. "
roadkill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9784

Old June 28th 05, 11:48 PM
Mikefule

Several considerations. Would you want your uni to be restricted to
tarmac and concrete by the tyre clearance? All my unis get ridden
across rough ground and muddy paths from time to time.

If a tyre picks up mud and grit, it will at the very least scratch the
inside of the fork. At worst, it will cause damage, or a UPD.

And few wheels stay perfectly true forever. If you have minimal
clearance, then you will be stuffed if you put the slightest kink in the
wheel.

Also, a uni frame can flex considerably under heavy pedalling - e.g. up
or down hill. I've heard my Coker tyre whiffing against the inside of
the forks from time to time.

So, rule of thumb? I wouldn't be happy if the gap between the tyre and
the fork was too small for me to pass my finger tip through. OK, that's
a rule of finger.

--
Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!