6'6" beginner rider wonders: 62cm or 64cm Trek frame?

Old March 16th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Default 6'6" beginner rider wonders: 62cm or 64cm Trek frame?

On Mar 16, 10:11*am, "Jay" wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message

Jay wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
.. .
Jay wrote:

(snip)

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/bbq/

Glad you got a real rack. I think you should over the rack brackets with
black heat-shrink tubing to keep the color scheme all black.

I was just thinking today about how the brackets disrupt the feng shui..
Heat-shrink tubing would be ideal, but I might just wrap with black
electrical tape.

Electrical tape is tacky and it won't last long. Either paint them or use
heat shrink. I've used black heat shrink on several bikes where I've
installed black rear racks.

I don't have a heat gun. I found a Weldy Plus Heat Gun online, but it is
$190. I don't think I would find enough uses for it around the house, to
justify the expense.

Hair dryer on high works fine for occasional jobs, or butane lighter.

nate
Old March 16th 10, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Jay wrote:

I don't have a heat gun. I found a Weldy Plus Heat Gun online, but it is
$190. I don't think I would find enough uses for it around the house, to
justify the expense.

Wow, I've never known anyone without a heat gun before! :}.

"http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96289"
$20. Often on sale at their stores for $10. But you don't need a heat
gun, for occasional shrinking you can use a cigarette lighter or a hot
hair dryer (cover the intake and it gets hotter until it trips the
over-temperature protection which resets after a few minutes).

I've found a myriad of uses for heat shrink tubing around the house and
on sporting equipment. I used to solder the ends of shift and brake
cables to keep them from unraveling, but that doesn't work well with
cables anymore, so I slip on a small piece of heat shrink which is
better than those crimp on thingees.
Old March 16th 10, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

SMS wrote:
Jay wrote:

I don't have a heat gun. I found a Weldy Plus Heat Gun online, but it
is $190. I don't think I would find enough uses for it around the
house, to justify the expense.

Wow, I've never known anyone without a heat gun before! :}.

"http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96289"
$20. Often on sale at their stores for $10.

Actually it was on sale earlier in March for $7.99.
Old March 16th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Mar 16, 12:06*pm, SMS wrote:
Jay wrote:
[...]

it's also good for boot laces, when the little plastic things on the
ends wear out before the laces do. Just don't hold the lighter under
them too long!

nate
Old March 16th 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"SMS" wrote in message
Jay wrote:

[...]

I can afford $20 for a heat gun. It might not be as nice as the $190 gun,
but it will be fine for what I need.

I came across this video. It is funnier if you watch the video first, then
read the comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gdxvdvusqU&NR=1

J.

Old March 16th 10, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

SMS wrote:
Jay wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
Jay wrote:

[...]

Well from what I read about the Harbor Freight heat gun, it's for very
occasional use. At $7.99 it's okay, $20 may be too much.

Read the comment at:
"http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=360-380"

You might want this one instead
"http://www.amazon.com/Ungar-1095-Dual-Temperature-Heat/dp/B000LDKWJ0".

Harbor Freight stuff is always a crap shoot, even the good stuff often
requires "re-assembly". I tend to think of their tools as partially
assembled kits, I often take them apart right out of the box when
they're either DOA or don't sound or act right. They're kind of like
factory wheels, which usually have to be totally tweaked before use or
they'll have a very short service life. If you can do that, they can be
a bargain, but not for everybody, and there's always the occasional stinker.
Old March 16th 10, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Mar 16, 9:58*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Nate Nagel:

http://members.cox.net/njnagel2/daytona.html

Geeze, a reminder that at one time they actually *did* make
sedans with headroom...

Well, the Lark series cars were basically a "full sized" (in quotes,
because the Stude sedans were always smaller than the Big Three
offerings) sedan turned into a compact in 1959 by basically getting
rid of all the excess fat in the front and rear (notice how short the
front fenders are - the Stude V-8 is a pretty big motor, and they
basically shrink-wrapped the front end around it) - so as a result, at
least to my eye, the passenger compartment looks very
disproportionate. Even the convertible versions look a little
ungainly - the windshield looks very tall for the size of the car.

They do make for a very roomy small car, however - the room inside one
is fantastic. Even better are the "bullet nose" cars - they're like
little limousines, and a '51 Commander (Commander = V-8 engine) would
make a fantastic driver even today. You might want to upgrade the
brakes though - a pretty easy job; the 55-64 brakes bolt right on,
even the '63-64 front discs if you're so inclined. Obviously there's
still the love it or hate it styling to contend with.

Plus: real drip rails mean easy mounting of your bike rack

nate
Old March 16th 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

N8N wrote:

Plus: real drip rails mean easy mounting of your bike rack

I miss structural steel rain gutters.
Old March 16th 10, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
SMS wrote:
Jay wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
Jay wrote:

[...]

I usually avoid the cheapest version of something, on the suspicion that
there will probably be a gotcha. Especially if it is way cheaper than the
competition. I think their lax quality control, to meet the price point,
results in many disappointed customers. I would rather pay a bit more, with
the hope of fewer disappointments, and fewer costly and inconvenient
returns.

J.