RBT New Year's Resolution

Old December 25th 10, 06:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

Default RBT New Year's Resolution

Limit posts on rec.bicycles.tech to bicycles.tech

Old December 25th 10, 06:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 12/24/2010 11:30 PM, Ronko aka Ron Kreuger wrote:
Limit posts on rec.bicycles.tech to bicycles.tech

What fun would that be?

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old December 25th 10, 10:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 24, 10:50*pm, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 12/24/2010 11:30 PM, Ronko aka Ron Kreuger wrote:

Limit posts on rec.bicycles.tech to bicycles.tech

What fun would that be?

--
T m Sherm n - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

and lets no make this post an endless OT exchange.
Old December 25th 10, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
MikeWhy

wrote:
and lets no make this post an endless OT exchange.

Morally superior personalities are SO tiresome.

Old December 25th 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

there are other internet activities for expanding your consciousness
besdies handing out rules as edvidenced by noooooooo
new posters for the last ? days.
RBT may be pictured as a sleeping bear in a cave clutching a bicycle
in a cliff covered with snow.
In a few days one or two will appear wanting to know why the chinese
sent two ' A' when ...

Old December 25th 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 25, 7:54*am, "MikeWhy" wrote:
wrote:
and lets no make this post an endless OT exchange.

Morally superior personalities are SO tiresome.

Yes, thats me, morally superior.
Old December 25th 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

wrote:
and lets no make this post an endless OT exchange.

Morally superior personalities are SO tiresome.

Yes, thats me, morally superior.

we are aware of it, don't grind it in
Old December 25th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default RBT New Year's Resolution/Cool Gifts/2010 Purchases

On Dec 24, 9:30*pm, Ronko wrote:
Limit posts on rec.bicycles.tech to bicycles.tech *

O.K., Merry Christmas to All. I don't like the commecial aspects of
Christmas (which is really a left-handed way of saying I never get
what I want), but this year I got some cool stuff: (1) Craftsman low
range torque wrench (a much more substantial piece than the Pedro/
Nashbar/Performance offerings), (2) Park master link pliers so I don't
have to wrestle so hard with the snap links, and (3) a chain checker
tool -- simpler than a metal ruler. All this was purchased locally,
although Performance and Universal Bicycles are both internet sellers,
too.

On other purchasing notes, I broke down and bought a Thompson Elite
seatpost because the clamp on my old EC 70 post just would not hold a
setting. The bolt hole in the lower plate was wallowed out, and the
serrations were worn. Anyway, that is a nice post with true micro
adjust. We'll see if I get any "ear" failures.

Sale table purchases for 2010: Bontrager MTB shoes with carbon
soles. These are good shoes, but high volume and too big for my low
volume feet (remedied with insoles and lifts). They have a removable
top strap/cuff that sometimes self-removes. Stitching quality is high
and bucles are sturdy, and so is sole. 8/10. At half-price (Bike
Gallery sale) 10/10.

Gore Alp-X Jacket. This is a lightweight Goretex shell that I got
half-price (or less). The amazing part about this jacket is sizing.
XL has excellent arm-legth without being a potato sack through the
gut. My Gil Adrenaline XL is too short in the sleeves and big in the
body. The Showers Pass (which I don't own) is good in the sleeves,
but big in the body. Anyway, the Alp-X has no pit-zips and has a
nominal front pocket, but a good rear pocket that doubles as a vent.
It does not vent as well as the Gil jacket and is too hot over 55F,
but very water proof, and it can be packed in a (large) rear jersey
pocket. 9/10. 10/10 sizing for 6'3" reasonably lean guy.

Louis Garneau Booties. Cheap neoprene stretch rain booties with
velcro rear closures. They actually fit over my jumbo feet and
Bontrager shoes, but they are starting to look like a dog chew toys
around the open soles. The finished edgers are fraying and falling
apart. They need more reflective material. I'm still looking for the
perfect booties. 7/10 (10/10 for sizing)

Night Rider Pro700: This is a 700 lumen single LED light that I would
not have bought at full price because it is ridiculously expensive --
particularly compared to that Deal Extreme light. Anyway, it is a
great light with excellent hardware and reasonable battery life. It
is too fussy, though. I sent it back immediately because the battery
was not "talking" to the light. The "fuel tank" display on the top of
the light was not correctly showing remaining battery life. I don't
think the batter should have to talk to the light, but that is just
me. Beam pattern is a split between flood and spot a little more flood
than my old L&M HID and more spot than the new L&M Seca 700 LED. 9/10
on sale. Flashing mode is landing light quality. Avoid if not on
super-discount sale.

Sidi shoes (from PBK). Too predictable for words-- good for lower-
voume feet, and one of the only racing-type shoe that works for me,
although I have had some Shimano shoes in the past that were a good
fit. I always have to fuss with insoles, especially since breaking my
right leg and getting my foot a little misaligned, and cleat placement
takes me weeks to work out. Sidi buckles should be beefier, but they
don't seem to break, and the carbon soles are not the last word in
stiffness, but still good enough for me.

I got some other stuff not worthy of review like chains and cassettes
and a new freehub body for my old Deore XT disc hub on the commuter.
I'm trying Aztec metal pads for the BB7 mechanical discs as a cheaper
alternative to the Avids. They seem to work fine. -- Jay Beattie.