Those wacky zany Basque are at it again.

Old December 3rd 04, 06:00 PM
crit pro

Default Those wacky zany Basque are at it again.

They really want to seperate. Maybe they should let them.

cp
Old December 4th 04, 04:11 AM
Sierraman

"crit pro" wrote in message
m...
They really want to seperate. Maybe they should let them.

cp

I wonder where Indurain stands on the issue.

Old December 4th 04, 04:11 AM
Sierraman

m...

Old December 4th 04, 05:47 AM
Gerard Lanois

"Sierraman" writes:

"crit pro" wrote in message
m...
They really want to seperate. Maybe they should let them.

cp

I wonder where Indurain stands on the issue.

He's always said he identifies with the area he came from, Navarre.

I'm having trouble finding the exact quote, but when asked directly
about this, he said "I am a man from Navarre" (to the best of my
recollection).

This article could probably help you out. The Indurain-specific
stuff starts about halfway down or so:

http://www.dailypeloton.com/spokes3.asp

-Gerard

Old December 4th 04, 06:49 AM
Sierraman

"Gerard Lanois" wrote in message
"Sierraman" writes:

This article could probably help you out. The Indurain-specific
stuff starts about halfway down or so:

http://www.dailypeloton.com/spokes3.asp

-Gerard

Interesting...

http://www.dailypeloton.com/spokes3.asp

Indurain, remained however keen to avoid being brought into nationalist
dialogue and debate. In June 1996 when asked about being Navarran he stated,
"I was born here, I like this region and its customs, but I don't feel
especially patriotic." On ETA activities he stated that, "ETA terrorists
have the same lack of respect for life as any other group of delinquents
have. The Basque Country is not the only place to have terrorists in that
respect. What hurts is that human values have been cast aside." On politics
in general Indurain claimed it did not interest him.

Indurain thus, found himself part of a nationalist discourse that existed
despite his opinions, but the media continued its subtle manipulation of the
nationalist dialogue surrounding the sportsman. In 1996 the Spanish press
and public awaited an historic sixth Tour de France victory. The Tour route
passed through Indurain's hometown, Villava, on route to Pamplona. Ikurriñas
dominated the route and especially the towns. The victory was not to be, but
whilst ETA threatened to sabotage the Tour and set off bombs in Pamplona,
the Madrid based sports daily, Marca failed incredibly to picture a single
Ikurriña in its extensive coverage. Conversely, Meta 2 Mil, a Basque based
journal succeeded, as did most of the international press, in showing the
mass of Basque flags.

Old December 4th 04, 03:31 PM
Geraard Spergen

"Gerard Lanois" wrote in message
I'm having trouble finding the exact quote, but when asked directly
about this, he said "I am a man from Navarre" (to the best of my
recollection).

I remember an interview where he was asked "Do you consider yourself Basque
or Spanish?" (not something a Spanish or Basque journalist would ask) and he
answered "I am from Navarra" which says it all, if you know anything.

Old December 4th 04, 03:55 PM
Gerard Lanois

"Geraard Spergen" writes:

"Gerard Lanois" wrote in message
I'm having trouble finding the exact quote, but when asked directly
about this, he said "I am a man from Navarre" (to the best of my
recollection).

I remember an interview where he was asked "Do you consider yourself Basque
or Spanish?" (not something a Spanish or Basque journalist would ask) and he
answered "I am from Navarra" which says it all, if you know anything.

That's exactly the interview I was thinking of. Couldn't find it
anywhere.

Nice play on words for the name, by the way.

-Lemurg Rammont