Does anybody make 37-630 tires?

Old September 24th 17, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

Default Does anybody make 37-630 tires?

I just ordered some Kenda tires for my old Cannondale in
size 27 x 1 3/8 inch. The goal was to obtain a somewhat
softer ride on the very rough pavement in my area.

When the tires showed up they were marked as expected,
but are only about 27 mm wide, or slightly _under_ an
inch and an eighth.

Does anybody still make road-style 27 inches tires in
wider sizes? The best I have found is 27 by one and a
quarter, and that's nominal; I haven't measured them.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Old September 24th 17, 12:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

bob prohaska wrote:
I just ordered some Kenda tires for my old Cannondale in
size 27 x 1 3/8 inch. The goal was to obtain a somewhat
softer ride on the very rough pavement in my area.

When the tires showed up they were marked as expected,
but are only about 27 mm wide, or slightly _under_ an
inch and an eighth.

Does anybody still make road-style 27 inches tires in
wider sizes? The best I have found is 27 by one and a
quarter, and that's nominal; I haven't measured them.

With which rim width did the Kendas turn out 27mm?

If the pavement is just rough, but not glass-littered, I'd take 1 1/4 Paselas.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/630.html

Some other Panaracers are "1 1/8," but 3kPa pressured seems more
curbless-city style than road-style.
https://www60.atwiki.jp/longmemo2/pages/62.html
Old September 24th 17, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Sepp Ruf miswrote:
bob prohaska wrote:
I just ordered some Kenda tires for my old Cannondale in
size 27 x 1 3/8 inch. The goal was to obtain a somewhat
softer ride on the very rough pavement in my area.

When the tires showed up they were marked as expected,
but are only about 27 mm wide, or slightly _under_ an
inch and an eighth.

Does anybody still make road-style 27 inches tires in
wider sizes? The best I have found is 27 by one and a
quarter, and that's nominal; I haven't measured them.

With which rim width did the Kendas turn out 27mm?

If the pavement is just rough, but not glass-littered, I'd take 1 1/4 Paselas.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/630.html

Some other Panaracers are "1 3/8," but 300kPa pressured seems more

- Fixed those. Stupid units... -

Old September 24th 17, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 11:19:23 PM UTC-4, bob prohaska wrote:
I just ordered some Kenda tires for my old Cannondale in
size 27 x 1 3/8 inch. The goal was to obtain a somewhat
softer ride on the very rough pavement in my area.

When the tires showed up they were marked as expected,
but are only about 27 mm wide, or slightly _under_ an
inch and an eighth.

Does anybody still make road-style 27 inches tires in
wider sizes? The best I have found is 27 by one and a
quarter, and that's nominal; I haven't measured them.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

I don't know about 1+3/8 27" tire but check to be sure there's enough room for them to fit. I converted an old Cannondale with Shimano 600 stuff to 700C so I could use tires wider than 1+1/4" about 35mm. IIRC the 700C tires I TRIED to use were 38mm with knobs ie they were street tires; but they would rub the chainstays.

Godd luck and cheers
Old September 24th 17, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 9/23/2017 8:19 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
I just ordered some Kenda tires for my old Cannondale in
size 27 x 1 3/8 inch. The goal was to obtain a somewhat
softer ride on the very rough pavement in my area.

When the tires showed up they were marked as expected,
but are only about 27 mm wide, or slightly _under_ an
inch and an eighth.

Does anybody still make road-style 27 inches tires in
wider sizes? The best I have found is 27 by one and a
quarter, and that's nominal; I haven't measured them.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

I believe that Schwalbe used to have a 27 x 1.5" but no more. The best
you can do now is 27 x 1 3/8 (37-630), i.e.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C6DC1A. One review says that the width
is accurate.

There are some NOS (New Old Stock) 37-630 tires on eBay.
Old September 25th 17, 05:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

Sepp Ruf wrote:
bob prohaska wrote:
I just ordered some Kenda tires for my old Cannondale in
size 27 x 1 3/8 inch. The goal was to obtain a somewhat
softer ride on the very rough pavement in my area.

When the tires showed up they were marked as expected,
but are only about 27 mm wide, or slightly _under_ an
inch and an eighth.

Does anybody still make road-style 27 inches tires in
wider sizes? The best I have found is 27 by one and a
quarter, and that's nominal; I haven't measured them.

With which rim width did the Kendas turn out 27mm?

21.5 mm inside, about 23.5 outside. The rims to be used in
service are about 22.5 outside, but on those rims a Continental
1 1/8" tire is wider than the Kenda 1 3/8" tire, so the Kenda is
notably underwidth.

If the pavement is just rough, but not glass-littered, I'd take 1 1/4 Paselas.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/630.html

Some other Panaracers are "1 1/8," but 3kPa pressured seems more
curbless-city style than road-style.

Those would work, but don't seem obviously better than the
1 1/4" tires I can get locally.

https://www60.atwiki.jp/longmemo2/pages/62.html

[The page cited comes up in Japanese, I can't make heads or tails of it]

The local shop that ordered the Kenda tires has agreed to exchange
them for Continental "Ride Tour" tires in 1 1/4" width. While nominally
narrower, I think they're apt to be much like the 1 1/4" UlraSports I've
been using, which is tolerable.

It would be helpful to know which manufacturer's width descriptions
are to be believed. Clearly not Kenda's.

Thanks for posting!

bob prohaska

Old September 25th 17, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I don't know about 1+3/8 27" tire but check to be sure there's enough room for them to fit. I converted an old Cannondale with Shimano 600 stuff to 700C so I could use tires wider than 1+1/4" about 35mm. IIRC the 700C tires I TRIED to use were 38mm with knobs ie they were street tires; but they would rub the chainstays.

In (many) years past I used 1 3/8" tires on the bike and they just
barely fit. It was necessary to shave off one outermost row of knobs
on cyclocross tires to fit, but that was enough.

bob prohaska

Old September 25th 17, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

sms wrote:

I believe that Schwalbe used to have a 27 x 1.5" but no more. The best
you can do now is 27 x 1 3/8 (37-630), i.e.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C6DC1A. One review says that the width
is accurate.

27 by 1 3/8" is the widest that will fit, even with a little surgery.
Knobbies aren't really helpful in my application, everything is paved,
it's just that the pavement is wretched.

There are some NOS (New Old Stock) 37-630 tires on eBay.

I'm slowly coming to accept that 1 1/4" width is the best to be had.
My hope that somebody knew of a 1 3/8" slick are fading fast.....

Thanks to all for your counsel!

bob prohaska

Old September 25th 17, 07:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 05:04:57 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

sms wrote:

I believe that Schwalbe used to have a 27 x 1.5" but no more. The best
you can do now is 27 x 1 3/8 (37-630), i.e.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C6DC1A. One review says that the width
is accurate.

27 by 1 3/8" is the widest that will fit, even with a little surgery.
Knobbies aren't really helpful in my application, everything is paved,
it's just that the pavement is wretched.

There are some NOS (New Old Stock) 37-630 tires on eBay.

I'm slowly coming to accept that 1 1/4" width is the best to be had.
My hope that somebody knew of a 1 3/8" slick are fading fast.....

Thanks to all for your counsel!

bob prohaska

On one of the various bicycle discussion groups I read a comment about
the Kenda 27" x 1-3/8" being about the same width as the 1-1/4" but
were "taller".

http://tinyurl.com/ybaol7mg
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 25th 17, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

bob prohaska wrote:

I just ordered some Kenda tires for my old Cannondale in
size 27 x 1 3/8 inch. The goal was to obtain a somewhat
softer ride on the very rough pavement in my area.

When the tires showed up they were marked as expected,
but are only about 27 mm wide, or slightly _under_ an
inch and an eighth.

Does anybody still make road-style 27 inches tires in
wider sizes? The best I have found is 27 by one and a
quarter, and that's nominal; I haven't measured them.

The local shop that ordered the Kenda tires has agreed to exchange
them for Continental "Ride Tour" tires in 1 1/4" width. While nominally
narrower, I think they're apt to be much like the 1 1/4" UlraSports I've
been using, which is tolerable.

"Ride Tour" 32-630, Conti #0101161, is a 0.57 kilo, 80 PSI, anti-puncture
rubber layered, city/trekking tire, made in China. I hope a fine,
generator-less front hub can make up for the added rolling resistance. (SCNR)