New bike suggestions

Old April 16th 07, 09:47 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JWL

Default New bike suggestions

Hi

I'm currently riding a 2005 Specialized Hardrock rigid. This was my
starter bike but now I'd like to get something better. I have about £700
to spend but there is a bewildering array of bikes and I'd appreciate
some ideas about what to get.

One question that bothers me is whether I should get a suspension fork.
I spend most of my time on forest dirt tracks and have never really felt
uncomfortable with the rigid fork. I also have to ride about an hour on
the tarmac to get to the woods so the rigid fork comes in handy there
too. On the other hand, I'm tempted by the possibililty that my riding
will be more fun with front suspension so I'm not sure either way...

The Hardrock rigid is 29.2lbs so I'd like something the same or lighter,
certainly not heavier. I'd like something with hydraulic disc brakes and
the best components for the price range.

Any comments appreciated.

John
Old April 17th 07, 03:02 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Corvus Corvax

On Apr 16, 4:47 am, JWL wrote:
Hi

I'm currently riding a 2005 Specialized Hardrock rigid. This was my
starter bike but now I'd like to get something better

[...]
One question that bothers me is whether I should get a suspension fork.
I spend most of my time on forest dirt tracks and have never really felt
uncomfortable with the rigid fork. I also have to ride about an hour on
the tarmac to get to the woods so the rigid fork comes in handy there
too. On the other hand, I'm tempted by the possibililty that my riding
will be more fun with front suspension so I'm not sure either way...

You'll like the suspension fork. You'll still be able to ride on the
tarmac just fine, and the fork will feel really good on the dirt.

I would suggest looking at a hardtail.

CC

Old April 17th 07, 06:38 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
tomm

On Apr 16, 6:47 pm, JWL wrote:
[...]

hi john,
just in reply to your queiry about your new bike. i have a
giant xtc3, now that has got front suspension and a hardtail. i think
that you would like the front suspenion on the forest tracks and on
the tarmac you dont even notice the suspension. you could also have a
look at adjustable front suspension which consists of hight adjustment
and wether you want it soft or hard thats what i have on my mountain
bike and i find it to be exelent because i have hard for tarmac and
soft for off road and if you look carefully you can get then cheap .
but i would definetly suggest a hardtail.
i hope this
helped

My new bike, suggestions? Random Data Australia 7 July 23rd 06 01:59 AM
Converting a Bike to a Powerassisted electric bike Suggestions [email protected] Techniques 3 September 12th 05 06:42 AM
Going to get a new bike. Need suggestions. Chief Tecumseh Mountain Biking 2 April 24th 05 09:53 PM
Bike suggestions. Brian UK 15 August 1st 04 05:39 PM
New bike suggestions j saulinskas Off Road 2 March 5th 04 01:34 AM