Insight into the phases of the Internet forum life cycle: a perspective

Old July 2nd 11, 07:43 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

Default Insight into the phases of the Internet forum life cycle: a perspective

I haven't been here in quite a while. With advanced (end state,
metastatic), clinical stage 4 prostate cancer, I've had to reassess my
priorities, put hings in perspective and frankly ARBR was not at the
top of the list. I have bigger fish to fry, so to speak. Regardless,
I see that little has changed here. The forum has lost many of it
members and is no longer about recumbent bicycles. ARBR has become
the sounding board and soap box of the Tibetan Monkey who arguably has
has far too much time on his hands. Even the crotchety Ed Dolan
appears to have had enough and departed for other forums. I've seen
this once useful forum hit the skids, degenerate and eventually rock
bottom. It has gone through a regressive evolution that is
unfortunate. Here are my thoughts in general regarding the Internet
forum life cycle of which ARBR is a prime example...

Like it or not, Internet forums commonly undergo an evolutionary
process regardless of whether they are moderated or unmoderated. The
natural life cycle of an Internet forum, with its various phases,
might be best summed up as follows:

1. Declaration of Enthusiasm - Subscribers introduce themselves and
gush over how wonderful it is to have encountered kindred spirits.

2. Origin of Evangelism - Participants moan about how the forum
consists of far too few members and brainstorming ensues to initiate
recruitment strategies.

3. Expansion of Community - An ever increasing number of interested
parties subscribe and contribute to the forum. Lengthy threads
develop (some more relevant than others).

4. Emergence of Camaraderie - Information and advice is exchanged
(some empirically founded ... some just anecdotal nonsense).
Friendships are forged. Members rib one another, but all in good
fun. New subscribers are welcomed and newbies. Both newcomers and
veterans alike are receptive to asking questions, providing answers,
and sharing experiences.

5. Genesis of Disenchantment - The volume of postings increases
dramatically. Not all threads are of interest to all participants.
Members pitch a bitch about signal-to-noise ratio, off-topic threads,
me too posts, forged and spoofed identities, forwarding of private
emails, and other violations of internet forum netiquette. Member #1
threatens to unsubscribe if things don't change for the better.
Member #2 aligns himself with Member #1. Member #3 disagrees with
both Members #1 and #2. Member #4 suggests that Members #1, #2, and
#3 should lighten up. Flame wars erupt and adversaries emerge.
Bandwidth is sacrificed as an abundance of postings proliferate in an
effort to resolve differences and restore some semblance of order.
During this particular phase, many a delete key gets more than its
share of abuse and filtering and killfiles are implemented.

6. Stagnation of Growth - The purists castigate members who ask an old
question or respond humorously to a serious post. Newcomers are
rebuffed and discouraged. SPAM posts, trolls and stalkers dominate
the forum. Traffic volume subsides considerably and is generally
confined to minor topics. Many relevant issues are communicated via
private emails. Some members turn in their membership cards in a huff
and the remaining members continue to participate in phases #4 and/or
#5 above.

7. Salvation from Destruction - Someone like me pounds away at the
keyboard composing a post such as this one in an effort to stir the
juices of those members who find themselves entrenched in the quagmire
of phase #4 and/or #5 above ... mostly #5 in hopes of resurection ;-)

Well, at least this posting should prove to be a thought provoking
departure from the norm and hopefully sheds some light on the nature
of the beast we have come to love and hate ... the internet forum.
Perhaps I should have added a pahse nuber 8 (Fight of Forum), when
hope is abandoned, forum flight ensues and membership dwindles.

#3 should lighten up. Flame wars erupt and adversaries emerge.
Bandwidth is sacrificed as an abundance of postings proliferate in an
effort to resolve differences and restore some semblance of order.
During this particular phase, many a delete key gets more than its
share of abuse and filtering and killfiles are implemented.

The general attitude in the US after the false-flag attacks of Sept. 11,
2001 and the arrival of Ed Dolan [1].

#5 above.

Flight to the nanny forum.

7. Salvation from Destruction - Someone like me pounds away at the
keyboard composing a post such as this one in an effort to stir the
juices of those members who find themselves entrenched in the quagmire
of phase #4 and/or #5 above ... mostly #5 in hopes of resurection ;-)

People these days are not satisfied with plain text, despite Usenet
being my better to use than web-based forums.

Less is indeed more.

Well, at least this posting should prove to be a thought provoking
departure from the norm and hopefully sheds some light on the nature
of the beast we have come to love and hate ... the internet forum.
Perhaps I should have added a pahse nuber 8 (Fight of Forum), when
hope is abandoned, forum flight ensues and membership dwindles.

Most of the former posters seem happier in an environment when a
moderator steps in and squelches things at the first sign of spirited
discourse.

One cannot also ignore most ISPs dropping Usenet out of liability
concerns, which limits new participation, and is responsible for much of
the decline in Usenet. This was a foolish decision, as the binary
groups (containing "pr0n" and "warez") could have been dropped, while
retaining the text only groups.

[1] Cross-posted to rec.bicycles.soc, since it seems unfair to talk
about a person behind his back.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

#5 above.

7. Salvation from Destruction - Someone like me pounds away at the
keyboard composing a post such as this one in an effort to stir the
juices of those members who find themselves entrenched in the quagmire
of phase #4 and/or #5 above ... mostly #5 *in hopes of ressurection ;-)

Well, at least this posting should prove to be a thought provoking
departure from the norm and hopefully sheds some light on the nature
of the beast we have come to love and hate ... the internet forum.
Perhaps I should have added a phase number 8 (Flight of Forum), when
hope is abandoned, forum flight ensues and membership dwindles.

Sorry about the typos in the last sentence above now corrected. - Jim
McNamara

#5 above.

Flight to the nanny forum.

7. Salvation from Destruction - Someone like me pounds away at the
keyboard composing a post such as this one in an effort to stir the
juices of those members who find themselves entrenched in the quagmire
of phase #4 and/or #5 above ... mostly #5 *in hopes of resurrection ;-)

[...]

Tom - I'm a bit surprised that only you replied. Typos from my

#5 above.

7. Salvation from Destruction - Someone like me pounds away at the
keyboard composing a post such as this one in an effort to stir the
juices of those members who find themselves entrenched in the quagmire
of phase #4 and/or #5 above ... mostly #5 *in hopes of resurrection ;-)

Well, at least this posting should prove to be a thought provoking
departure from the norm and hopefully sheds some light on the nature
of the beast we have come to love and hate ... the internet forum.
Perhaps I should have added a phase number 8 (Flight of Forum), when
hope is abandoned, forum flight ensues and membership dwindles.

Sorry about the typos in my initial post, now fully corrected (I hope) . *- Jim McNamara

#5 above.

Flight to the nanny forum.

[...]

I read it, agree with Tom, the same can be said of most Usenet groups. Good
wishes on your health issues.

Mike

Old July 6th 11, 04:47 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
[...]

Tom - I'm a bit surprised that only you replied. Typos from my

I responded at length, but it apparently disappeared into cyber space. The
computer, the Internet and Usenet are all terribly flawed and I can't be
bothered repeating my words of wisdom because of a ****ed-up technology.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old July 6th 11, 04:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc
Tºm Shermªn °_°

On 7/5/2011 10:47 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Tom - I'm a bit surprised that only you replied. Typos from my

I responded at length, but it apparently disappeared into cyber space. The
computer, the Internet and Usenet are all terribly flawed and I can't be
bothered repeating my words of wisdom because of a ****ed-up technology.

Look in your "Sent" and "Drafts" email folders.

Old July 6th 11, 01:14 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Tºm Shermªn °_°" " wrote in message
On 7/5/2011 10:47 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Tom - I'm a bit surprised that only you replied. Typos from my

I responded at length, but it apparently disappeared into cyber space.
The
computer, the Internet and Usenet are all terribly flawed and I can't be
bothered repeating my words of wisdom because of a ****ed-up technology.

Look in your "Sent" and "Drafts" email folders.

It was "Sent", so why did not Jim McNamara see it? If you saw it, why not
say so instead of being so cryptic?

#5 above.

Flight to the nanny forum.

[...]

Thanks for the well wishing, Mike. I've come a long way since being
diagnosed and I am now in a much better place than I was just a few
months back. Unfortunately, prostate cancer becomes much more likely
as the age. Primates who share 99.9% of our DNA and are vegetarians
don't get prostate cancer. Canines in the wild don't get prostate
cancer. The only mammal known to get a significant amount of prostate
cancer is the dog, and who makes their food and feeds them table
scraps? Japanese men rarely get prostate cancer, but when they move
to places like Hawaii and California and change to consuming a Western
diet, their male born children get the same amount of prostate cancer
as other native born males. OK, this is all anecdotal but the
evidence strongly suggests that there is a correlation between diet
and the disease. If you or anyone else would care to read the details
of my complete story, it can be found posted here...

http://www.prostate.net/2011/survivo...-side-effects/

Jim McNamara

freedom cycle forum craig General 0 December 28th 06 08:52 AM
Insight into phases of the internet forum ... A Perspective JimmyMac Recumbent Biking 6 November 1st 06 06:45 PM
Stupid internet geek posting in this forum. Paulie-AU Australia 0 September 28th 06 02:12 AM
Some insight into the life and phases of a mailing list ... A Perspective [email protected] Recumbent Biking 2 February 10th 05 11:49 PM
Internet only cycle store? [email protected] UK 6 December 23rd 04 09:23 AM