Road rage bus driver faces jail for swerving in to cyclist

Old January 6th 12, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Nick[_4_]

Default Road rage bus driver faces jail for swerving in to cyclist

On 06/01/2012 11:23, NM wrote:

Only the poor use buses and only the poor use cycles so I see no
reason to become concerned.

Yep historically this used to be the case and I guess is the reason we
have laws that give so much favouritism to car drivers. However now cars
are so cheap that any pikey can have one and there is no reason for the
law to afford them the same respect that it once did for toff motorists.

Additionally (particularly around the city of London) we have seen the
rise of a new generation of affluent cyclist who are unwilling to doff
their caps to what they see as unreasonable laws (red lights, pavement
cycling etc).

So I guess the law will need to catch up by increasing laws limiting car
driver freedoms while at the same time extending more freedoms and
protection to cyclist

As always I'm sure the working class man who thought he had raised him
self up a notch in the social strata by owning a car will rail at the
unfairness of it all as the privileges are withdrawn.
Old January 6th 12, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mortimer

"Nick" wrote in message
eb.com...
Additionally (particularly around the city of London) we have seen the
rise of a new generation of affluent cyclist who are unwilling to doff
their caps to what they see as unreasonable laws (red lights, pavement
cycling etc).

So I guess the law will need to catch up by increasing laws limiting car
driver freedoms while at the same time extending more freedoms and
protection to cyclist

Why?

Surely it is time that the existing law was enforced more stringently, so as
to penalise cyclists in the same way as other road users such as drivers of
cars, lorries and buses who flout it. In particular, cyclists should be
subject to laws on red lights, pedestrian crossings and overtaking vehicles
on the left when they are indicating left. The damage that a cyclist can
cause to a pedestrian or vehicle is much less than a car or lorry can cause,
but they can put themselves in danger (and try to blame it on the other road
user even if he is obeying the law and the cyclist is not) and may cause a
vehicle to swerve into the path of another road user in trying to avoid the
cyclist. And there have been cases of cyclists injuring or killing
pedestrians while riding on or across a pavement. Every road use (even
cyclists!) has a responsibility for making sure they don't cause an
accident.

Dick Francis said, rather humorously, in his novel "Straight": "If a law is
inconvenient, ignore it - it doesn't apply to you". Cyclists seem to take
this as a code of practice when it comes to rules of the road!

Old January 6th 12, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
The Revd[_6_]

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 14:02:50 +0000, Nick
wrote:

On 06/01/2012 11:23, NM wrote:

Only the poor use buses and only the poor use cycles so I see no
reason to become concerned.

Yep historically this used to be the case and I guess is the reason we
have laws that give so much favouritism to car drivers. However now cars
are so cheap that any pikey can have one and there is no reason for the
law to afford them the same respect that it once did for toff motorists.

Additionally (particularly around the city of London) we have seen the
rise of a new generation of affluent cyclist who are unwilling to doff
their caps to what they see as unreasonable laws (red lights, pavement
cycling etc).

So I guess the law will need to catch up by increasing laws limiting car
driver freedoms while at the same time extending more freedoms and
protection to cyclist

On the contrary. Existing laws will need to be enforced more
stringently.
Old January 6th 12, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Judith[_4_]

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 12:08:05 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

snip

If you genuinely believe what you wrote then you are both ignorant and
a sociopath. Actually I think it's much more likely that you were just
trolling.

Guy

Ah yes - being a "sociopath" - I had forgotten that you were an expert.

Are you still getting treatment?

--

Total number of posts to URC from
IP Address:80.254.146.36 over 6 years = 7

Guy Chapman : 5
Lou Knee: 2

Coincidence?
(Guy Chapman Dell Magnet)
Old January 6th 12, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

wrote:

snip

If you genuinely believe what you wrote then you are both ignorant and
a sociopath. Actually I think it's much more likely that you were just
trolling.

Guy

Ah yes - being a "sociopath" - I had forgotten that you were an expert.

Are you still getting treatment?

I presume you are referring to the EMDR treatment for post-traumatic
stress after my bike crash last year? Yes, the course of treatment is
finished, it worked like a charm. I can now replay the incident in my
mind without freezing up, and I have had no flashbacks since the
treatment started. Marvellous result, entirely funded by the negligent
driver's insurance. Thanks for your concern.

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
Old January 6th 12, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 14:44:44 +0000
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
I presume you are referring to the EMDR treatment for post-traumatic
stress after my bike crash last year? Yes, the course of treatment is

Post traumatic stress from coming off a bike? You wuss.

finished, it worked like a charm. I can now replay the incident in my
mind without freezing up, and I have had no flashbacks since the
treatment started. Marvellous result, entirely funded by the negligent
driver's insurance. Thanks for your concern.

What did the nasty driver do - thoughtlessly drive through a green light while
you were crossed on the red?

B2003

Old January 6th 12, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
roger merriman

Nick wrote:

On 06/01/2012 11:23, NM wrote:

Only the poor use buses and only the poor use cycles so I see no
reason to become concerned.

Yep historically this used to be the case and I guess is the reason we
have laws that give so much favouritism to car drivers. However now cars
are so cheap that any pikey can have one and there is no reason for the
law to afford them the same respect that it once did for toff motorists.

Additionally (particularly around the city of London) we have seen the
rise of a new generation of affluent cyclist who are unwilling to doff
their caps to what they see as unreasonable laws (red lights, pavement
cycling etc).

certinaly london cycling clubs tend to be a sea of Mamils and the
spending power that goes with it.

a trip to the alps, or winter training holiday, and so on!

snips

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old January 6th 12, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
JNugent[_7_]

On 06/01/2012 14:02, Nick wrote:

On 06/01/2012 11:23, NM wrote:

Only the poor use buses and only the poor use cycles so I see no
reason to become concerned.

Yep historically this used to be the case and I guess is the reason we
have laws that give so much favouritism to car drivers. However now cars
are so cheap that any pikey can have one and there is no reason for the
law to afford them the same respect that it once did for toff motorists.

Additionally (particularly around the city of London) we have seen the
rise of a new generation of affluent cyclist who are unwilling to doff
their caps to what they see as unreasonable laws (red lights, pavement
cycling etc).

We call them "chavs".

Not sure why you think they are "affluent".
Old January 6th 12, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Nick[_4_]

On 06/01/2012 14:25, Mortimer wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message
eb.com...
Additionally (particularly around the city of London) we have seen the
rise of a new generation of affluent cyclist who are unwilling to doff
their caps to what they see as unreasonable laws (red lights, pavement
cycling etc).

So I guess the law will need to catch up by increasing laws limiting car
driver freedoms while at the same time extending more freedoms and
protection to cyclist

Dick Francis said, rather humorously, in his novel "Straight": "If a law
is inconvenient, ignore it - it doesn't apply to you". Cyclists seem to
take this as a code of practice when it comes to rules of the road!

Well that is more a matter of subjective opinion than fact. Car drivers
have always flouted the laws with respect to speeding, parking, etc,
etc. Most cyclists and many pedestrians would argue that car drivers
have been able to get away with huge liberties whilst expecting everyone
else to keep out of their way and look out for their own safety.

When car drivers were drawn from the upper and middle classes this was
accepted by the uk jurisprudence system under the well know "one law for
the rich and one for the poor" rule.

All I was saying is that the transport user wealth profile has changed
and hence expect to see more affluent cyclist expecting the rich/poor
rule to apply to them. Now this may seem dreadfully unfair to you but
given the pollution/deaths and general problems cars cause I think you
would have a great deal of trouble justifying the present status quo in
any kind of objective terms.
Old January 6th 12, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Nick[_4_]

On 06/01/2012 16:49, JNugent wrote:
On 06/01/2012 14:02, Nick wrote:

On 06/01/2012 11:23, NM wrote:

Only the poor use buses and only the poor use cycles so I see no
reason to become concerned.

Yep historically this used to be the case and I guess is the reason we
have laws that give so much favouritism to car drivers. However now cars
are so cheap that any pikey can have one and there is no reason for the
law to afford them the same respect that it once did for toff motorists.

Additionally (particularly around the city of London) we have seen the
rise of a new generation of affluent cyclist who are unwilling to doff
their caps to what they see as unreasonable laws (red lights, pavement
cycling etc).

We call them "chavs".

Would that be the royal we?

Not sure why you think they are "affluent".

Obviously they aren't in comparison to yer majesty.