Labour MP Margaret Hodge floors cyclist whilst talking on mobile phone

Old May 5th 13, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Cassandra[_6_]

Default Labour MP Margaret Hodge floors cyclist whilst talking on mobile phone

On Sat, 04 May 2013 11:57:02 +0100, Dave- Cyclists VORC
wrote:

On 04/05/2013 11:38, Cassandra wrote:
On Fri, 03 May 2013 20:46:40 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

On 03/05/2013 20:34, Dave- Cyclists VORC wrote:

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:

Labour MP Margaret Hodge accused of flooring cyclist with her car door
while talking on mobile phone

Cyclist clearly failing to use observation, anticipation & hazard
awareness skills.

He should have been charged with criminal damage to the car door.

It *is* odd that cyclists expect sufficient clearance when being
overtaken that they can perform a deviation in course as wide as they
choose (the "wobble") and still not be hit even when they suddenly veer
into the path of overtaking traffic, whilst on the other hand, they (or
some of them at least) cannot be trusted to do a simple thing like stay
a few feet away from the offside of a stationary passenger vehicle where
disgorging of its occupants (with always at least one alighting from the
offside) is easily prdictable and whose occupants can actually be seen
(by those who can be bothered to look).

I typically travel along highways faster than a cyclist would and could
therefore claim that I need even more notice of a vehicle door being
opened in my path, yet in probably something approaching a half million
miles of driving in urban areas, I have never even come close to hitting
a vehicle's opening or opened door, or an emerging vehicle occupant.

I've never opened a car door into ther path of another road user
because all my vehicles are fitted with a reflective piece of glass
bolted to the door

Or in other words, motorists use anticipation, observation & hazard
awareness skills.

and thats why they always complain their insurance is too high...
Old May 5th 13, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Cassandra[_6_]

On Sat, 04 May 2013 11:30:51 +0100, Dave- Cyclists VORC
wrote:

On 04/05/2013 11:28, Cassandra wrote:
On Fri, 03 May 2013 20:34:26 +0100, Dave- Cyclists VORC
wrote:

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:
Labour MP Margaret Hodge accused of flooring cyclist with her car door while talking on mobile phone

Cyclist clearly failing to use observation, anticipation & hazard
awareness skills.

As you clearly have major psychological problems sharing the road with
other road users,

Only the sponging freeloaders on unsuitable vehicles - or cyclists as
they are known.

perhaps you should brush up on these basic motoring
skills ?

I don't have to. I have passed a test of competence, unlike cyclists.

So have I and I'm a cyclist, so you are clearly wrong.
Old May 5th 13, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sat, 04 May 2013 17:32:49 +0100, Judith wrote:

On Fri, 03 May 2013 20:46:40 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

snip

I typically travel along highways faster than a cyclist would and could
therefore claim that I need even more notice of a vehicle door being
opened in my path, yet in probably something approaching a half million
miles of driving in urban areas, I have never even come close to hitting
a vehicle's opening or opened door, or an emerging vehicle occupant.

I suspect that you actually look where you are going and do not stare
down at the road just in front of your front wheels whilst listening to
music on your noise canceling headphones.

(I quite miss Captain Troll Buster)

Does he have a horse?
Old May 5th 13, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On May 4, 10:03*pm, JNugent wrote:
On 04/05/2013 21:52, Squashme wrote:

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:
[...]

It's a mystery that motorists manage to see cars, isn't it?

This issue is nothing to do with "motorists"

Oh, I see. It's the cyclists who open the doors is it?

It is (some) cyclists who fail to see the doors, possibly - nay,
probably - because they are not looking far enough ahead.

It is (some) motorists who fail to see the cyclists, possibly - nay,
probably - because they are not looking behind at all.

The cyclists do not bring the doors with them. The motorists are
surely not opening their doors expecting that they don't have to look
behind, or are they?
Old May 5th 13, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_10_]

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:
[...]

No, without excusing less than careful motorists, it's the psycholists who
pass too close to cars, but squeal like stuck pigs when cars give them less
than a complete road width of clearance.

Old May 5th 13, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave-Cyclists VORT

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:

[...]

Cyclists of course don't have insurance - unless they have a fridge treezer.
--
Dave-Cyclists VORT
Motorists pay £45 billion a year in extra taxes, specifically so they

A: No. This proposal amounts to theft from the people who pay to use
roads and the benefit given to those who don’t.
Old May 5th 13, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave- Cyclists VORC

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:
[...]

I'll type this slowly, so you understand.

33,000,000 motorists pass each other at relatively close distances and
high speeds. The incidents involving hitting opened doors are
infinitesimal.

A much, much lower number of cyclists (they only account for 1% of
journeys), traveling at much lower speeds, constantly whinge about being
'doored'.

Who do you think might be to blame? Clue; it begins with 'cy' and ends
in 'ts'.

--
Dave - Cyclists VORC
Bicycles are for Children. Like masturbation, something you should grow
Old May 5th 13, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave- Cyclists VORC

wrote:

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:
Labour MP Margaret Hodge accused of flooring cyclist with her car door while talking on mobile phone

Cyclist clearly failing to use observation, anticipation & hazard
awareness skills.

As you clearly have major psychological problems sharing the road with
other road users,

Only the sponging freeloaders on unsuitable vehicles - or cyclists as
they are known.

perhaps you should brush up on these basic motoring
skills ?

I don't have to. I have passed a test of competence, unlike cyclists.

So have I and I'm a cyclist, so you are clearly wrong.

If you are a cyclist, you are by default, an idiot.

Old May 5th 13, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:

[...]

You will hear no such complaint from me.
Old May 5th 13, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 03/05/2013 11:53, CJB wrote:
[...]

I've never even come close to hitting a door opened in front of me. And
that's in something in the order, over more than four decades, of about
a half-million urban miles. I'm not counting extra-urban distance at all.

If I can achieve such a record (and it's nothing the slightest bit
unusual), why can't you, or any other cyclist?

Margaret Hodge JNugent UK 125 May 12th 13 11:52 AM
Lorry driver 'over limit and talking on mobile when he killed cyclist' Uncle Spam UK 9 November 14th 10 09:18 AM
Where is a mobile phone :-) PEO from ITALY UK 1 October 27th 06 08:12 PM
mobile phones whilst cycling? MartinM UK 79 October 10th 06 11:14 PM
Cyclist with mobile phone Gags Australia 2 August 25th 04 01:12 PM