I crash into religion

Old May 25th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling

Default I crash into religion

In article ,
says...
Quoting Espressopithecus (Java Man) :
says...
Feel free to counter this. Come up with some hypothetical population and
risk where there is a better individual strategy than assuming the
population mean.

I think you've already done it for me:
"while I'd oppose compulsion for off-roaders I think the benefits of
foam hats there may well be positive"

You're evading the point again. First of all, "may well be" does not mean
"are"; secondly, that hypothetical excercise is where there is no
information about risk distribution. When I talk about off-roaders I am
speculating about risk distribution. What do these have to do with each
other?

The majority of my riding is off-road. You already agreed that the
population stats probably don't apply:
----------------------------------
:
"If your biking is mostly low-speed mountain biking, I think it really
is another kettle of fish."

You:
"Well, quite. I don't want to talk about off-roaders, really; I don't
think many of the large-scale studies pertain to off-road riding, I
don't think it can tell us much about on-road riding."
-----------------------------------

And you speculated:
------------------------------------
" . . while I'd oppose compulsion
for off-roaders I think the benefits of foam hats there may well be
positive."

I agree that the benefits of helmets off-road may well be positive, and
in the absence of data pertaining to off-road riding, I choose to ride
helmeted.

Rick

I crash into religion Sorni UK 369 May 25th 06 07:02 PM
I crash into religion Paul Cassel Techniques 1135 May 23rd 06 11:27 PM
I crash into religion jtaylor UK 1054 May 23rd 06 11:27 PM
I crash into religion Sorni UK 12 May 15th 06 07:57 PM
I crash into religion John Forrest Tomlinson UK 3 May 14th 06 11:40 PM