Bicycle Commuting on the Rise

Old November 18th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Janet O'Leary

Default Bicycle Commuting on the Rise

it sure is ..

===
"Dane Buson" wrote in message
Tom Keats wrote:

It doesn't take a mountain of willpower, or spending big bux on Gortex
and other overpriced space suits, or getting outfitted at Abercrombie
& Fitch (or Mountain Equipment Co-op for that matter) -- just a little
experimentation to figure out what works for /you/, the individual,
who's open to riding during these upcoming, Northern Hemisphere,
less-than-perfect days.

I've been getting by with some wool arm and knee warmers and a nice
sweater. That and a windstopper vest. I haven't even attempted to pull
out a jacket yet. Though I did get soaked on a night ride a couple
Thursdays ago. Thankfully we warmed ourselves up with pies and pints at
Pies and Pints up in Ravenna. Quite nice.

It's definitely down to the diehards. On the nicer days, there's a
few people I don't recognize from previous years, but mostly it's the
same core people.

--
Dane Buson -
And it should be the law: If you use the word `paradigm' without knowing

Old November 18th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Janet O'Leary wrote:
"Dane Buson" wrote in message
Tom Keats wrote:

[...]

Are you talking about being down to core commuters, or are you talking
about Pies and Pints? Either way, are you a fellow Seattlite?

--
Dane Buson -
A consultant is a person who borrows your watch, tells you what time it
Old November 19th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats[_16_]

In article ,
Dane Buson writes:
Tom Keats wrote:

It doesn't take a mountain of willpower, or spending big bux on Gortex
and other overpriced space suits, or getting outfitted at Abercrombie
& Fitch (or Mountain Equipment Co-op for that matter) -- just a little
experimentation to figure out what works for /you/, the individual,
who's open to riding during these upcoming, Northern Hemisphere,
less-than-perfect days.

I've been getting by with some wool arm and knee warmers and a nice
sweater. That and a windstopper vest.

Yeah, that works while the temperatures are still moderate,
as they have been lately.

"Nice" (pullover) sweaters seem to be problematic for me;
I just can't keep them nice for very long. For example,
I always eventually end up rending the armpit seams somehow.
Maybe I should learn to darn. A Gordon Setter to lick off my
gravy accidents would come in handy, too. If I was fussy about
sweaters, they'd spend more time at the dry cleaners than at home,
or on me. I've long maintained a strong dislike of having to go
to the dry cleaners, but I can't consciously attribute it to any
particular past experience. But I'd almost crawl a mile over
broken beer bottles rather than go to the dry cleaners. Maybe
I just don't like voluntarily having my clothes kidnapped and
held for ransom.

But a grotty ol' sweater that's well broken-in works okay for
riding, too. At least, one can readily take it off for social
presentation purposes -- if one can doff it in time and kick it
behind a potted split-leaf philodendron or sumpthin' before
anybody sees one wearing it. And the holed armpits, one can
call: "ventilation."

When it becomes too embarrassingly frayed, stained & rent, it
can be used to insulate hot take-out food on the ride home.
Actually I'm serious on this point. It works really well.

For looking presentable, I'm more of a cardigan (with pockets) guy.
Cardigans are lower-maintenance than pullovers. I guess a cardigan
would work for riding in the autumn rain if it was put on backwards.
Then the pockets would be just like jersey pockets.

I haven't even attempted to pull
out a jacket yet. Though I did get soaked on a night ride a couple
Thursdays ago. Thankfully we warmed ourselves up with pies and pints at
Pies and Pints up in Ravenna. Quite nice.

Keeping the lower body (legs & feet) comfy & dry appears to be
the real challenge. Bellbottoms are definitely out.

Rain pants as available at certain "outdoor" stores seem to
currently be de rigeur. I purchased a pair of lemon/security guard
yellow ones from Mountain Equipment Co-op for the night in which I
might actually need them, but that need has not yet arisen -- for
which I am most grateful.

It's definitely down to the diehards. On the nicer days, there's a
few people I don't recognize from previous years, but mostly it's the
same core people.

Vancouver just had an experimental secondary Bike to Work Week.
I think it was fairly successful, considering the lack of media
coverage. Maybe people are beginning to understand that riding
doesn't require idyllic conditions any more than any other
transportation mode.

Maybe those Bike To Work Week people will be back for more,
and become core riders. I hope so.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old November 19th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Patrick Lamb

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:39:15 -0800, Dane Buson
wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:

It doesn't take a mountain of willpower, or spending big bux on Gortex
and other overpriced space suits, or getting outfitted at Abercrombie
& Fitch (or Mountain Equipment Co-op for that matter) -- just a little
experimentation to figure out what works for /you/, the individual,
who's open to riding during these upcoming, Northern Hemisphere,
less-than-perfect days.

It's not as easy to justify by saving a few tanks of gas as it was
this summer, but so what? Commuting by bike DOES save money on gas,
and it's fun! Those are two reasons I don't mind spending on "special
clothes."

I've been getting by with some wool arm and knee warmers and a nice
sweater. That and a windstopper vest. I haven't even attempted to pull
out a jacket yet. Though I did get soaked on a night ride a couple
Thursdays ago. Thankfully we warmed ourselves up with pies and pints at
Pies and Pints up in Ravenna. Quite nice.

We've had a few mornings where it frosted, so that drives me to the
jacket. Haven't had to go below the medium weight tights yet -- but
it's supposed to be down to 25 F tomorrow, so I'd better get them out.

It's definitely down to the diehards.

That's me!

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old November 19th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:

It doesn't take a mountain of willpower, or spending big bux on Gortex
and other overpriced space suits, or getting outfitted at Abercrombie
& Fitch (or Mountain Equipment Co-op for that matter) -- just a little
experimentation to figure out what works for /you/, the individual,
who's open to riding during these upcoming, Northern Hemisphere,
less-than-perfect days.

It's not as easy to justify by saving a few tanks of gas as it was
this summer, but so what? Commuting by bike DOES save money on gas,
and it's fun! Those are two reasons I don't mind spending on "special
clothes."

The best part is, those "special clothes" don't have to be
clown suits or uniforms -- they can be normal street clothes,
and still be appropriate for riding/walking/sk8boarding/
standing at bus stops/hanging upside-down on monkey bars or
hanging around bars, in inclement weather.

IIRC the latest Momentum Magazine
www.momentumplanet.com
has an article or two about it.

So you can save a few tanks of gas /plus/ proceed forth
smilin', stylin', profilin', & rockin' yer image.

Life is good.

cheers,
Tom
Old November 19th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Keats wrote:
Dane Buson writes:

I've been getting by with some wool arm and knee warmers and a nice
sweater. That and a windstopper vest.

Yeah, that works while the temperatures are still moderate,
as they have been lately.

"Nice" (pullover) sweaters seem to be problematic for me;
I just can't keep them nice for very long. For example,
I always eventually end up rending the armpit seams somehow.

How in the heck do you do that?

Maybe I should learn to darn. A Gordon Setter to lick off my gravy
accidents would come in handy, too. If I was fussy about sweaters,
they'd spend more time at the dry cleaners than at home, or on me.
I've long maintained a strong dislike of having to go to the dry
cleaners, but I can't consciously attribute it to any particular past
experience. But I'd almost crawl a mile over broken beer bottles
rather than go to the dry cleaners. Maybe I just don't like
voluntarily having my clothes kidnapped and held for ransom.

But a grotty ol' sweater that's well broken-in works okay for riding,
too. At least, one can readily take it off for social presentation
purposes -- if one can doff it in time and kick it behind a potted
split-leaf philodendron or sumpthin' before anybody sees one wearing
it. And the holed armpits, one can call: "ventilation."

Well, my current sweater is a fairly nice black V-neck. I do have one
sort of baggy button-up which is servicable but way too large for me
anymore. I lost about thirty pounds recently and went from a Large size
to Medium. Maybe I should wash and dry it to intentionally shrink it.

I haven't even attempted to pull out a jacket yet. Though I did get
soaked on a night ride a couple Thursdays ago. Thankfully we warmed
ourselves up with pies and pints at Pies and Pints up in Ravenna.
Quite nice.

Keeping the lower body (legs & feet) comfy & dry appears to be the
real challenge. Bellbottoms are definitely out.

I've done pretty well on the foot front, but my problem is always the
knees down. I'm not really keen on the Rainlegs, but I might have to
create a homebrew imitation just to try out the concept.

It's definitely down to the diehards. On the nicer days, there's a
few people I don't recognize from previous years, but mostly it's the
same core people.

Vancouver just had an experimental secondary Bike to Work Week. I
think it was fairly successful, considering the lack of media
coverage. Maybe people are beginning to understand that riding
doesn't require idyllic conditions any more than any other
transportation mode.

Maybe those Bike To Work Week people will be back for more, and become
core riders. I hope so.

I'm always happy to see more people out, even if I do grumble about the
clueless masses in late spring and early summer.

--
Dane Buson -
My brother sent me a postcard the other day with this big satellite photo
Old November 19th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Keats wrote:
wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:

[...]

I have been perusing Goodwill for men's wool trousers [1]. Some
generous hemming and I have cycling knickers. Now I just need to buy
some of the argyle wool socks Ryan was mentioning and I'll be stylish
indeed. ;-)

[1] It helps that 32 waist is not that popular a size, so there is a
decent selection.

--
Dane Buson -
And the crowd was stilled. One elderly man, wondering at the sudden silence,
Old November 20th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Dane Buson writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
Dane Buson writes:

I've been getting by with some wool arm and knee warmers and a nice
sweater. That and a windstopper vest.

Yeah, that works while the temperatures are still moderate,
as they have been lately.

"Nice" (pullover) sweaters seem to be problematic for me;
I just can't keep them nice for very long. For example,
I always eventually end up rending the armpit seams somehow.

How in the heck do you do that?

I guess they're just too tight for my arm movements.
I tend to be one of those gesticulating talkers.

Keeping the lower body (legs & feet) comfy & dry appears to be the
real challenge. Bellbottoms are definitely out.

I've done pretty well on the foot front, but my problem is always the
knees down. I'm not really keen on the Rainlegs, but I might have to
create a homebrew imitation just to try out the concept.

I really do recommend trying cheap knee-high hiking gaiters
like mine. You could possibly find a pair at a surplus store.
They do the trick quite nicely. Mine are black nylon or
rayon or some kind of synthetic fabric *on, have velcro flaps
to cover the zippers, and velcro-ized cordura straps at the
top ends to keep them from falling like loose socks. They
cost me $15 Canadian bux.

I guess there goes my point I made to Patrick about not
having to dress funny in order to ride, or to look like
your bike & clothing were purchased at the same time and
in the same place.

But as we Pluvians know, sometimes weather creates
extenuating circumstances.

I rationalize by figuring anybody riding a bike in the
rain at all, already looks like some kind of lunatic to
so many people. In for a dime, in for a dollar.

Once off the bike, you can take the gaiters off,
and look normal again.

At least knee-high gaiters aren't as drastic as
bumless chaps. But maybe those would work, too.
With cycling shorts worn underneath, of course.
Ventilation + decorum.

Ultimately the gaiters are probably easier to buy.

cheers,
Tom

Old November 20th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Keats wrote:
Dane Buson writes:

I've done pretty well on the foot front, but my problem is always the
knees down. I'm not really keen on the Rainlegs, but I might have to
create a homebrew imitation just to try out the concept.

I really do recommend trying cheap knee-high hiking gaiters
like mine. You could possibly find a pair at a surplus store.
They do the trick quite nicely. Mine are black nylon or
rayon or some kind of synthetic fabric *on, have velcro flaps
to cover the zippers, and velcro-ized cordura straps at the
top ends to keep them from falling like loose socks. They
cost me $15 Canadian bux.

I actually have a pair, but I only put them on when it's bucketing when
I leave the house. I don't usually feel like wearing or carting them
around for less than a downpour of biblical proportions. Which I
suppose means I shouldn't whine about getting soaked.

I guess there goes my point I made to Patrick about not
having to dress funny in order to ride, or to look like
your bike & clothing were purchased at the same time and
in the same place.

But as we Pluvians know, sometimes weather creates
extenuating circumstances.

True true.

I rationalize by figuring anybody riding a bike in the
rain at all, already looks like some kind of lunatic to
so many people. In for a dime, in for a dollar.

Which tends to (sometimes) make people a little more polite. They're
probably all saying "That poor jerk".

Once off the bike, you can take the gaiters off, and look normal
again.

At least knee-high gaiters aren't as drastic as bumless chaps. But
maybe those would work, too. With cycling shorts worn underneath, of
course. Ventilation + decorum.

I'll reserve bumless chaps for when the oil runs out and it's time to
roam the post-apocalyptic wasteland wearing only those and a pair of
football shoulder pads and furs from random feral dogs.

--
Dane Buson -
`They didn't call him Erik Bloodaxe because he was good with children.'
Old November 22nd 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Dane Buson writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
Dane Buson writes:

I've done pretty well on the foot front, but my problem is always the
knees down. I'm not really keen on the Rainlegs, but I might have to
create a homebrew imitation just to try out the concept.

I really do recommend trying cheap knee-high hiking gaiters
like mine. You could possibly find a pair at a surplus store.
They do the trick quite nicely. Mine are black nylon or
rayon or some kind of synthetic fabric *on, have velcro flaps
to cover the zippers, and velcro-ized cordura straps at the
top ends to keep them from falling like loose socks. They
cost me $15 Canadian bux.

I actually have a pair, but I only put them on when it's bucketing when
I leave the house. I don't usually feel like wearing or carting them
around for less than a downpour of biblical proportions.

Tonight would be a good night for 'em. Speaking of which,
I've gotta head out, brave the elements, and rustle up
some sort of dinner. I've a craving for lamb vindaloo
on basmati rice. Maybe some naan on the side.

Which I
suppose means I shouldn't whine about getting soaked.

They're easy to pack and have at-hand when you need them.

A lot of these reusable shopping bags that so many outlets
are now proffering are wonderful for stowing contingency
raingear.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

The Rise & Fall of the Bicycle---tonight (Mon) on Radio 4 Blue Frog UK 1 July 24th 06 07:02 PM
Bicycle is king of the road as gas costs rise cfsmtb Australia 14 May 9th 06 12:35 AM
Commuting by Bicycle John General 0 December 9th 03 08:23 PM
Commuting by Bicycle John Off Road 0 December 9th 03 08:01 PM