Cooler Helmet?

Old May 31st 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Cooler Helmet?

On Tue, 30 May 2006 19:32:00 GMT, "Sorni"
wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Tue, 30 May 2006 01:16:58 GMT, "Sorni"
wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Mon, Apr 24 2006 4:28 pm Ozark Bicycle wrote:
Helmets have become a fashion
statement: "What does Lance (etc.)
ride?". And a conspicuous consumption
issue: "Mine cost $189.99, what
did yours cost?".

Ozark, have you ever actually heard someone brag they spent that
much for a helmet?

JFT is as bad as Mike V@ndem@n, posting his silly "paper" whenever
things quiet down in AM-B.

Don't you have anything better to do that rag on me for asking an
on-topic question?

When you go back to something OVER A MONTH OLD that's been beaten to
freaking death over and over again, no, I have nothing better to do than
call you on it.

I don't know what you mean by "beaten to death" -- there has not been
an answer from Ozark, which is needed to end it.

Hell, *I*
know the answer to your question,

What is the answer? Did Ozark actually hear it or not? Did he tell
you in a private email or did I miss his answer on usenet? I've got a
decent news service but maybe it dropped the message. Please let me
know.

Psst. Here ya go. {quiet now} YES, PEOPLE BRAG ABOUT THEIR PURCHASES.

I asked Ozark if he ever heard someone brag about paying about $189
for helmet. Not a general question about bragging. Did it happen?
That's my question. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

BTW, if you read the actual quote that got you so worked up for probably SIX
WEEKS now (it's right at the top of this still), nowhere does Ozark even
claim that people /brag/ at all! YOU are the one who inferred that and
introduced the term into the discussion!

That's right -- I inferred it because his post was not clear. That's
why I immediately asked him to clarify it. He could simply say "yes I
did" or "No, I was trying to make a point" or whatever his explanation
is.

If what he wrote was clear one way or the other, I would have no need
to ask.

Someone saying "Mine cost so & so" is not necessarily bragging. Might just
be a fact. Might be a complaint. Might just be fishing for what someone
else paid.

That's what I think too.

So I don't understand how talking about the price in general can be
taken as "conspicuous consumption" -- in fact I think the conclusion
that when someone talks about a high price he is therefore bragging
reflect more on the person making the conclusion. I have long thought
that Ozark has some hang-up about money. But maybe in this helmet
case he has some evidence or reason. I have asked several times to
hear the circumstances of the person bragging, if that's what
happened. But for now I'll just settle for hearing if it actually
happened.

I won't expect you to either get this or -- if you do -- admit it.

Biz as usual with JFT...

You are so full of anger that you really don't seem to be willing to
accept that I want an answer. If you can't help me get an answer, I
suggest you let this go.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old May 31st 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 30 May 2006 19:38:13 GMT, "Sorni"
wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On 29 May 2006 18:35:09 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Mon, Apr 24 2006 4:28 pm Ozark Bicycle wrote:
Helmets have become a fashion
statement: "What does Lance (etc.)
ride?". And a conspicuous consumption
issue: "Mine cost $189.99, what
did yours cost?".

Ozark, have you ever actually heard someone brag they spent that
much for a helmet?

"Troll

It's not a troll. It's an on-topic question that I want an answer to.

It's a strawman. Ozark didn't say anyone "bragged" at all; you did.

I think bragging is the right word because Ozark was using that bit
about the cost as an example about conspicuous consumption -- showing
off or bragging about spending money to get fancy goods.

But do you think it would be better to ask "Have you ever heard
someone saying they spent $189 on a helmet as an example of conspicous
consumption"? You seem to be friends with the guy -- would that
elicit an answer?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old May 31st 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Mon, Apr 24 2006 4:28 pm Ozark Bicycle wrote:
Helmets have become a fashion
statement: "What does Lance (etc.)
ride?". And a conspicuous consumption
issue: "Mine cost $189.99, what
did yours cost?".

Ozark, have you ever actually heard someone brag they spent that
much for a helmet?

JFT is as bad as Mike V@ndem@n, posting his silly "paper" whenever
things quiet down in AM-B.

Don't you have anything better to do that rag on me for asking an
on-topic question?

When you go back to something OVER A MONTH OLD that's been beaten to
freaking death over and over again, no, I have nothing better to do
than call you on it.

I don't know what you mean by "beaten to death" -- there has not been
an answer from Ozark, which is needed to end it.

What's needed to end it is for you to let it go.

Hell, *I*
know the answer to your question,

What is the answer? Did Ozark actually hear it or not? Did he tell
you in a private email or did I miss his answer on usenet? I've
got a decent news service but maybe it dropped the message. Please
let me know.

Psst. Here ya go. {quiet now} YES, PEOPLE BRAG ABOUT THEIR
PURCHASES.

I asked Ozark if he ever heard someone brag about paying about $189
for helmet. Not a general question about bragging. Did it happen?
That's my question. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Let it go.

[...]

So let it go.

[...]

! ROTFL ! I'll post my reply to that after another...4 or 5 weeks go by!

Thanks for the laugh, John. Terrific stuff.

Old May 31st 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

I live in California. Ozark lives in...well, one can guess. We just happen
to agree on (most aspects of) helmet issues.

It's /really/ time you let this go, John. I'll furrow my brow if it helps.

Old May 31st 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 31 May 2006 00:36:55 GMT, "Sorni"
wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Tue, 30 May 2006 19:32:00 GMT, "Sorni" wrote

BTW, if you read the actual quote that got you so worked up for
probably SIX WEEKS now (it's right at the top of this still),
nowhere does Ozark even claim that people /brag/ at all! YOU are
the one who inferred that and introduced the term into the
discussion!

That's right -- I inferred it because his post was not clear. That's
why I immediately asked him to clarify it. He could simply say "yes I
did" or "No, I was trying to make a point" or whatever his explanation
is.

Let it go.

It's great that you seem to make some hard "point" against me by
saying that Ozark wasn't clear about what he meant, and I say that
that fact is exactly the point.

What you wrote is the point -- it's why the question needs to be
answered. Ozark may have been trying to imply somethign that wasn't
true, or maybe it was true.

You're intellectually sloppy. You should realize that. You don't
really realize the implications of things you write. I'm reminded of
some disagreement we had where you quoted some of my own words back to
me and your comments clearly showed you didn't undertand two simple
words in the sentence. I had to to chuckle about that and am doing it
again now.

JT

PS -- speaking of the meaning of words -- you would do well to look in
a dictionary or wikipedia or somewhere about the terms "conspicuous
consumption" and "bragging." It's a mistake to argue from a position
of ignorance.

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old May 31st 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 31 May 2006 00:40:35 GMT, "Sorni"
wrote:

It's /really/ time you let this go, John. I'll furrow my brow if it helps.

I want an answer. I asked a simple, on-topic question about something
that was not clear. I don't understand why I shouldn't ask about it.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old May 31st 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Lots of words, all ignoring the fact that you returned to something over a
month old just to keep it stirred up.

Let it go, John. (I can try to sound sincere like you did a few days ago.
You know, that one time. LOL )

Old May 31st 06, 10:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 31 May 2006 01:57:09 GMT, "Sorni"
wrote:

Lots of words, all ignoring the fact that you returned to something over a
month old just to keep it stirred up.

A few words on your part, all ignoring the fact that Ozark hasn't
answered a simple, on-topic question and that you are a sloppy
thinker.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old June 1st 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Again, for the clue-deprived; the entire point of painfully expensive bike bling
is to make such verbalization needless.

Ron
Old June 1st 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 16:13:26 GMT, RonSonic
wrote:

Again, for the clue-deprived; the entire point of painfully expensive bike bling
is to make such verbalization needless.

Maybe.

JT

Remove "remove" to reply