Maintenance Manuals

Old September 30th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole

Default Maintenance Manuals

wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:38:15 -0400, Peter Cole
wrote:

Frank Drackman wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message
t...
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article .com,
BigJulie wrote:

sutherland's

http://www.amazon.com/Sutherlands-Ha...herland/dp/091
4578065/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-4791940-4852967?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191039436&sr=8-2

On Sep 29, 12:05 am, Mark wrote:
Well as I am increasingly intrigued by the mechanics of bikes. There
is a lot I just have never taken apart, put back together, and frankly
don't fully understand how things work. I wondered if there is a book
that is accepted as "the book to have on bike maintenance" that shows
pictures and step by step instructions much the way the Chiltons book
does for auto repair.

I'd also be interested in books on bike design. Now I would like to
keep the theory to a practical level. No I have no idea to turn this
into an engineering project. I am already married to an engineer and
the last thing one needs is two engineers in the same house. lol
At a much lower price, Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance (and
the similar Road Bike Maintenance) are good Chilton-level books. I'd just
get the one for your primary kind of ride, as much of the material
overlaps, and the differences aren't liable to catch you out unless
you're a roadie and you decide to start doing your own fork maintenance
on your MTB.

Sheldonbrown.com seems like it has directions on virtually every
mechanical repair known to cycling, so it's almost as good as having your
own bike manual.

I make no submission on most bike design books, but regular contributor
here Jobst Brandt literally wrote the book
/a/ book.

on bicycle wheels, called "The Bicycle Wheel," and it covers both the
theory of wheels and the proper procedure for wheelbuilding.

procedure, yes. theory? some of it is badly awry. spoke tension "as
high as the rim can bear" for example is based on a fundamental
misunderstanding by the author and that is of the most practical [and
costly] consequence to the novice builder - excess tension can cause a
higher propensity for rim buckling and directly cause rim cracking. the
book should should be amended to specify spoke tension "as determined by
the rim manufacturer".
I guess that we all saw that coming...sad

And completely wrong, it's not what the book says at all.

Dear Peter,

Here's what the 3rd edition says:

FINDING THE RIGHT TENSION

The following method works well in determining proper spoke tension
for conventional road rims of up to 43 0 grams with 36 spokes. Tighten
all the spokes a quarter turn at a time, starting at the valve stem
hole. Once a distinct tone can be made by plucking, and spokes are not
easily squeezed together by grasping them in pairs, it is time to
check tension. After each round of tightening, test the tension by
stress relieving. If the wheel becomes untrue in two large waves
during stress relieving, the maximum, safe tension has been exceeded.
Approach this tension carefully to avoid major rim distortions. When
the wheel loses alignment from stress relieving, loosen all spokes a
half turn before retruing the wheel

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Yes, I know, I have that edition.

It also describes, in a previous section "Final Tensioning", use of a
tensiometer (with drawing), and comparison by tone to a known good wheel
as methods of achieving proper tension.

In the context, the method described above is given as an alternative
with the stated qualifications (430g, 36 spokes), presumably for those
without tensiometers.

He goes on to say that for heavy rims or road rims with less than 32
spokes that tensioning is usually at the limit when nipples can no
longer be easily turned.

The overall impression I get is that Jobst is trying to give people a
feel for how tight spokes should be. It seems obvious that, for rims
where the manufacturer has specified a maximum spoke tension, those
limits should be observed, and a tensiometer is required to do that.

From its online manual, Mavic indicates that conventional 3 cross
wheels should have tensions in the 70-90kg range. They also set weight
limits on their road wheels (2008) for 100kg, bike rider & gear. Both
seem low. Perhaps wheel builders using Mavic product should read the
fine print carefully and never build without a tensiometer.

It would be interesting to know what the actual tension would be if the
quoted procedure was followed for the kind of rim described. As far as
I know, no one has reported that.
Old September 30th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Peter Cole wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:38:15 -0400, Peter Cole
wrote:

Frank Drackman wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message
t...
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

On Sep 29, 12:05 am, Mark wrote:
[...]

From its online manual, Mavic indicates that conventional 3 cross
wheels should have tensions in the 70-90kg range. They also set weight
limits on their road wheels (2008) for 100kg, bike rider & gear. Both
seem low. Perhaps wheel builders using Mavic product should read the
fine print carefully and never build without a tensiometer.

It would be interesting to know what the actual tension would be if the
quoted procedure was followed for the kind of rim described. As far as
I know, no one has reported that.

to avoid pretzel? what's the point? longevity depends on avoiding rim
cracking and fatigue, and the manufacturer has reported that already.
increasing tension doesn't increase strength so there's no point seeking
more of it.
Old September 30th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article . com,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" wrote:

On Sep 29, 10:44 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
"Frank Drackman" wrote:

I guess that we all saw that coming...sad

Actually, thanks to killfiles, I didn't see it at all.

--
Ryan Cousineau /

Which killfile do you use And is it applicable to Google groups?

Been here before...some authors beg for killfile.

My primary newsreader is the venerable MT-Newswatcher on the Mac. It has
an integrated killfile system which allows me to kill articles by
subject, author, with or without a time limit, and in a single group,
across all groups, or in just one branch of a hierarchy (eg I could kill
an author, but only in rec.bicycles.* groups, so I could still read
their sci.astronomy posts). It surely has more power than even that, but
I have not yet needed it.

Old September 30th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole

jim beam wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

It would be interesting to know what the actual tension would be if
the quoted procedure was followed for the kind of rim described. As
far as I know, no one has reported that.

to avoid pretzel? what's the point?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Jobst infers that following his
alternate procedure will result in a spoke tension of around 100kg.

longevity depends on avoiding rim
cracking and fatigue, and the manufacturer has reported that already.
increasing tension doesn't increase strength so there's no point seeking
more of it.

Mavic (and most others I presume) spec a min and max. I haven't seen
anyone (including Jobst) recommending using more than the max spec. So
what's the problem?

You seem to be sure that Jobst's alternate method will produce higher
than max spec spoke tensions. How do you know that?

I've used lots of wheels, Mavic & others, the only cracking I ever got
was with Mavic Reflex rims (2). I don't know what tension they were
built to, I don't think it was very high, they had to be Locktited. All
of my other rims just wore out on the brake track.
Old October 1st 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1160_]

"jim beam" aka evan williams wrote:
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
I make no submission on most bike design books, but regular
contributor here Jobst Brandt literally wrote the book

/a/ book.

on bicycle wheels, called "The Bicycle Wheel," and it covers both the
theory of wheels and the proper procedure for wheelbuilding.

procedure, yes. theory? some of it is badly awry. spoke tension "as
high as the rim can bear" for example is based on a fundamental
misunderstanding by the author and that is of the most practical [and
costly] consequence to the novice builder - excess tension can cause a
higher propensity for rim buckling and directly cause rim cracking. the
book should should be amended to specify spoke tension "as determined by
the rim manufacturer".

I wonder if "jim" has a macro for anti-Jobst replies?

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Old October 1st 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
I make no submission on most bike design books, but regular
contributor here Jobst Brandt literally wrote the book

/a/ book.

on bicycle wheels, called "The Bicycle Wheel," and it covers both the
theory of wheels and the proper procedure for wheelbuilding.

procedure, yes. theory? some of it is badly awry. spoke tension "as
high as the rim can bear" for example is based on a fundamental
misunderstanding by the author and that is of the most practical [and
costly] consequence to the novice builder - excess tension can cause a
higher propensity for rim buckling and directly cause rim cracking.
the book should should be amended to specify spoke tension "as
determined by the rim manufacturer".

I wonder if "jim" has a macro for anti-Jobst replies?

that's "corrective", not "anti-jobst".
Old October 1st 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Peter Cole wrote:
jim beam wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

It would be interesting to know what the actual tension would be if
the quoted procedure was followed for the kind of rim described. As
far as I know, no one has reported that.

to avoid pretzel? what's the point?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Jobst infers that following his
alternate procedure will result in a spoke tension of around 100kg.

"infers"??? how can you infer a number??? oh, wait, it's /convenient/
to state it after the fact! my mistake.

longevity depends on avoiding rim cracking and fatigue, and the
manufacturer has reported that already. increasing tension doesn't
increase strength so there's no point seeking more of it.

Mavic (and most others I presume) spec a min and max. I haven't seen
anyone (including Jobst) recommending using more than the max spec. So
what's the problem?

what is numerical about "as high as the rim can bear"??? modern deep
profile rims can take much more stress before they buckle, but the alloy
from which they are made is just as anisotropic and very similar in
yield. a rim stiff enough to take double spoke tension [as determined
by the jobstian method] before buckling isn't going to make rims last
very long when it comes to cracking. use of a tensiometer is therefore
essential.

You seem to be sure that Jobst's alternate method will produce higher
than max spec spoke tensions. How do you know that?

because i've tried it!

I've used lots of wheels, Mavic & others, the only cracking I ever got
was with Mavic Reflex rims (2). I don't know what tension they were
built to,

er,...

I don't think it was very high,

that's a cop-out - for someone purporting to be an engineer, it's also
remarkably incurious.

they had to be Locktited.

eh? aren't you one of those that condemns loctite?

All
of my other rims just wore out on the brake track.

as will happen to all rims if accident or excess spoke tension doesn't
kill them first.
Old October 1st 07, 08:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 30, 11:23 pm, jim beam wrote:

Peter Cole wrote:

snip

You seem to be sure that Jobst's alternate method will produce
higher than max spec spoke tensions. How do you know that?

because i've tried it!

Specifically, which 36 hole, conventional cross-section rim of 430 or
less grams did you try this on and what is your source for the
manufacturer's recommended spoke tension range? I'm asking because
I've learned from previous threads to not believe anything you say.
The exclamation point you put after your statement doesn't lift it
above the normal credibility level of zero.

modern deep profile rims can take much more stress before they buckle.... a rim stiff enough to take double spoke tension [as determined by the jobstian method] before buckling isn't going to make rims last very long when it comes to cracking. use of a tensiometer is therefore essential.

Everyone would be aware of this either from their own knowledge,
experience and common sense or from having read Jobst's book. Nothing
like stating the obvious as if it's an original and profound
revelation from the sage of RBT, jim - never in doubt, often in error
- beam.

--

Spike

Old October 1st 07, 09:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 00:25:06 -0700, wrote:

On Sep 30, 11:23 pm, jim beam wrote:

Peter Cole wrote:

snip

[...]

Dear Spike,

Sorry, but people aren't actually reading "The Bicycle Wheel," which
is probably why they don't quote it.

The book does _say_ to use a tensiometer to determine the correct
tension, but only in the sense of measuring an already established
correct tension for later use in building the next identical wheel.

The book says that the correct tension is _first_ determined by other
methods, namely raising tension on 36-spoke count wheels until
squeezing spoke pairs together produces a deformed wheel or when the
spokes on low-count or deep-section wheels can no longer be tightened
without excessive windup:

"The final tension of a wheel built by feel is affected by the mood of
its builder. By using a tension measuring tool a builder can establish
proper tension, then repeat it. Such a tool, a tensiometer, measures
the deflection of a spoke over a given span in response to a standard
load. The dial is calibrated in tension or displacement. Either
measure is equally useful for wheel building. It is not necessary to
know the actual tension but only that the tension has reached the
desired mark. The correct maximum tension for a specific wheel design
must still be determined first by stress relieving. For some deep
section rims or wheels with few spokes, the limit of tension is
reached when spokes can no longer be tightened further without
excessive windup. For subsequent wheels of the same type the
tensiometer can accurately and quickly determine whether spokes have
reached the predetermined tension."

--3rd edition

Obviously, deep-section 36-spoke rims can stand more tension before
distorting than MA-2's.

I'm not arguing about wheel-building methods, just pointing out that
people who want to claim that Jobst's book says something ought to
provide quotes to back up their claims.

As far as I can see, Jim Beam's description is closer to being
accurate--the book says to raise tension until the rim fails to stay
in shape if you squeeze the spoke pairs, or to tighten low-count
spokes until the spoke wind-up reaches some undefined "excessive"
point.

If anyone has suggestions about other passages, I'll be glad to search
my scanned 3rd edition or browse through the first two editions. None
of them have an index (indexing was expensive back then), so I
sympathize with text-scholars who vaguely remember whatever edition
they have saying _something_ and are having trouble finding it.

(The deep section/low count/spoke windup comments were added in the
3rd edition. The book was re-written almost sentence by sentence,
twice, so don't be surprised if you have trouble finding things.
Remember, the first edition was based on and referred to 5, 6, and 7
speed rear wheels--things changed rapidly between 1981 and 1993.)

The only example of specific tension in the 3rd edition is this: "If
its spokes are tensioned to 1000 N, a 36-spoke wheel will support
approximately 400 kg."

The 1,000 Newtons mentioned is just an example for an ensuing
discussion of when spokes might go slack, not a specific tension
recommendation. It's the equivalent of 102 kgf, and a common figure
for many wheels today.

In any case, Jobst expects that to be reduced by 30% through the
constriction of the inflated ti

"Although spoke tension is the principal static load on the rim,
tubular tire inflation has a similar effect. When inflated, the tire
becomes fatter and shrinks in circumference. The resulting force
depends on the tire cross section, cord angle and inflation pressure.
A tubular racing tire, inflated to 0.86 MPa, for instance, shrinks
with a force of 300 N (see Equation 8 in Part III). Its effect on
spoke tension can be detected with a tensiometer."

--3rd edition

That reduces the _effective_ spoke tension from about 100 kgf to about
70 kgf. Dianne's measurements suggest about a reduction of about 15
kgf for 700c box-section clinchers.

On a less pedantic note, the "kgf" commonly used nowadays for spoke
tension does not appear in the 3rd edition of 1993, just the two cited
passages with "kg".

It's possible that tensiometers were so rare back in 1981-1993 that no
manufacturers gave recommended kgf (or kg or newton or pound) tensions
for their rims, and that Jobst was simply giving the best possible
advice for the era when you had to find the right tension yourself.
Only after tensiometers became widely available would manufacturers
start giving the recommendations that can still be darned hard to find
today.

If so (and it's just a theory that tension recommendations were scarce
or non-existent), then Jobst was simply suggesting that using a
tensiometer to record whatever tension you found best by using other
methods was a quick and convenient way to build the next wheel.

Build the first wheel by raising tension until spoke-squeezing put it
out of true or the spokes began to wind up excessively (before anyone
sneers, try to define how much wind-up is excessive), measure the
results with a tensiometer (and also use it to check for even tension
all around the wheel), record the tension, and presto! The next wheel
is much quicker and easier to build because you just tighten it to the
X marked on your tensiometer.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 1st 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
On Sep 30, 11:23 pm, jim beam wrote:

Peter Cole wrote:

snip

You seem to be sure that Jobst's alternate method will produce
higher than max spec spoke tensions. How do you know that?

because i've tried it!

Specifically, which 36 hole, conventional cross-section rim of 430 or
less grams did you try this on

i've done this test on several wheels with different rims - mavic open
pro, x517, x618, etc. and of course, an ma2. spoke count and lacing
make no difference.

and what is your source for the
manufacturer's recommended spoke tension range?

i called mavic's tech department. 1-888-go-mavic. they're very helpful.

I'm asking because
I've learned from previous threads to not believe anything you say.

that's a personal issue for you spike. if i state something like
"modulus = stress/strain", you can independently verify "believability"
for yourself. and you could verify "believability" of the above too if
you had a tensiometer. and used it.

The exclamation point you put after your statement doesn't lift it
above the normal credibility level of zero.

that's a personal issue for you spike.

modern deep profile rims can take much more stress before they buckle.... a rim stiff enough to take double spoke tension [as determined by the jobstian method] before buckling isn't going to make rims last very long when it comes to cracking. use of a tensiometer is therefore essential.

Everyone would be aware of this either from their own knowledge,
experience and common sense or from having read Jobst's book. Nothing
like stating the obvious as if it's an original and profound
revelation from the sage of RBT, jim - never in doubt, often in error
- beam.

"obvious"? it's apparently not "obvious" to jobst since he doesn't
cover this in his book. kind of a serious omission since the excess
spoke tension his procedure causes is directly responsible for rim
destruction that costs consumers and manufacturers a small fortune.

Anyone have the old Marzocchi manuals? Slack Mountain Biking 3 April 4th 05 04:09 PM
FA - Just found Campagnolo Tech manuals Remove No Spam to Reply Marketplace 0 March 4th 05 05:06 AM
Time ATAC Alium manuals Bajji Techniques 0 August 6th 04 06:31 PM
Manuals Katanga-Man UK 1 July 15th 04 05:20 PM
Bike manuals One Step Beyond UK 6 October 22nd 03 08:28 AM