mavic rims suck?

Old February 27th 04, 12:41 AM
Tom Sherman

Default mavic rims suck?

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

A viscoelastic material will behave elastically if loaded and unloaded
extremely rapidly - all the strain caused by loading is recovered after
the load is removed. However, if the load is maintained, the material
deforms plastically and only the elastic portion of the strain is
recovered upon removing the load. Many polymeric materials behave in a
viscoelastic manner (which usually varies with temperature). Asphalt
cement is of course a polymeric material.

Is my scant chemistry knowledge lacking, or is this just a broader
definition of the word "polymeric" than I've heard before?

A monomer is a single, covalent bonded molecule. When one of the double
carbon bonds in a monomer is "unlocked" and bonding occurs with another
"unlocked" carbon atom in an adjacent monomer, a polymer molecule is
formed. When the polymer molecules are bonded to each other with
secondary forces, a polymeric material is created.

And asphalt is such a material?

Correct.

Old February 27th 04, 07:13 AM
Carl Fogel

Benjamin Lewis wrote in message ...
Tom Sherman wrote:

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

[...]

Dear Benjamin,

A quick google for asphalt and polymer soon led to
thousands of pages, including ones like this:

http://www.jebro.com/pm.htm

It looks as if that stuff is trickier than I thought.
They add other polymers to make it both elastic and
plastic.

"He that toucheth pitch shall be defiled therewith."
--earliest comment on the road-rash stuff

Carl Fogel
Old February 27th 04, 07:21 AM
Benjamin Lewis

Carl Fogel wrote:

A quick google for asphalt and polymer soon led to thousands of pages,
including ones like this:

http://www.jebro.com/pm.htm

It looks as if that stuff is trickier than I thought. They add other
polymers to make it both elastic and plastic.

I just wasn't sure if it was a "polymeric material" if synthetic polymers
aren't added to it. I did a similar google search, and also found plenty
of sites talking about adding polymers to asphalt, but none that stated
definitively that asphalt in itself is "polymeric."

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening