RR: CO Trail, Durango

Old October 19th 04, 01:34 PM
Craig Brossman

Roger Buchanan wrote:

cargo van for camping that is specific for mountain bikes and kayaks. As
soon as we come up with the "fantasy money" we'll get it on the road.

Thanks for the reply Craig!

I understand the kayaking here is very good as well!
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply
Old October 19th 04, 03:56 PM
MattB

Craig Brossman wrote:
Roger Buchanan wrote:

cargo van for camping that is specific for mountain bikes and
kayaks. As soon as we come up with the "fantasy money" we'll get it
on the road. Thanks for the reply Craig!

I understand the kayaking here is very good as well!

It is! (and here too!)

Matt

Old October 20th 04, 03:46 AM
SkaredShtles

Craig Brossman wrote in
:

snip
Gudy's rest, so named for the woman who put so much effort into
establishing the CO Trail.

I had the pleasure of meeting Gudy on a through-hike of the C.T. back in
'95 on Molas Pass. She's an inspirational lady, that's for sure. And the
C.T. is an amazing piece of work. Kudos on a good ride!

-S.S.-
Old October 20th 04, 08:07 PM
Dave Wilson

Roger Buchanan wrote in message ...
[...]
Linda and I are already figuring out our "fantasy" vehicle. A customized
cargo van for camping that is specific for mountain bikes and kayaks. As
soon as we come up with the "fantasy money" we'll get it on the road.

I've been trying to decide on my vehicle. Every few years I and
whatever slacker I can find take a 2-3 month road trip around the US.
I have started mountain biking since the last trip, and I already know
that the next trip must include our bikes. Previously I have used a
Jeep Cherokee for the trips, and it works fine to carry all the
camping gear, and in the city, and on the highway. But now I have a
hitch rack on my current Cherokee, and it's really a PITA to open the
liftgate, which is something you do continuously when camping out of a
Cherokee.

I thought about a Plymouth Voyager / Dodge Caravan, but just couldn't
bring myself to drive a minivan yet. I just replaced the Cherokee
with another Cherokee, and am thinking about putting a roof rack on
it. But I'm concerned about:

- difficulty of getting bikes on/off the roof rack
- excessive highway wind noise
- damage to the bikes from wind/sand/rain/bird impacts
- too much drag slowing down the car
- low bridges

Are any of these likely to be a problem? I've got no experience with
roof racks. I just know I almost never see anyone using them around
here (Florida). If there's a reason for that, I guess I'll go with
either the minivan (NO!) or a pickup truck with a big enough lock box
in the back to hold all the camping gear.

I've got until next spring/summer to decide if I need a new vechicle.

Dave
www.davewilson.cc/Bike
Old October 21st 04, 03:12 AM
Pete

"Dave Wilson" wrote

Are any of these likely to be a problem? I've got no experience with
roof racks. I just know I almost never see anyone using them around
here (Florida). If there's a reason for that, I guess I'll go with
either the minivan (NO!) or a pickup truck with a big enough lock box
in the back to hold all the camping gear.

I've got until next spring/summer to decide if I need a new vechicle.

Minivans are sooo much better than SUV's on interior space. Better on gas,
too.
If you don't need the 4wd (and you probably don't), go for the minivan.
Unless, of course, you are worried about what other people think of your
vehicle.

Or, you could go with an old, beat, step van. Plaster it with stickers, put
in a stealth sound system. All the space you need.
Does UPS ever sell their old trucks?

Pete
seriously...reconsider the minivan

Old October 21st 04, 03:34 AM
Slacker

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 02:12:23 GMT, Pete =

"Dave Wilson" wrote

=

gas,
too.
If you don't need the 4wd (and you probably don't), go for the minivan=

..
Unless, of course, you are worried about what other people think of yo=

ur
vehicle.

Or, you could go with an old, beat, step van. Plaster it with stickers=

, =

put
in a stealth sound system. All the space you need.
Does UPS ever sell their old trucks?

Pete
seriously...reconsider the minivan

Funny you mention this. My friend has a minivan (wife & kids)... I was =

riding in it and looked around the inside of it and said, "Dude, this =

thing was made for DH shuttle service :-) "

But I'm still having a hard time with the stigma, plus I'm really diggin=
g =

the Titan 4 door thingy.
-- =

Slacker
Old October 21st 04, 11:04 AM
Stephen Baker

Pete says:

Or, you could go with an old, beat, step van.

Heh hehe heh...
I have a friend here on the island with an old podwer blue (well, it once was
powder blue) one o'those. When you open the rear doors and walk in, there is a
rack of 6 windsurfers on the left-hand side, graded for windspeed, ansd a rack
of rigs ditto on the right. Spare spars live on the ceiling and there is a
closet for wetsuits, drysuits, etc.. Sound system is good, but I'm not into
that kind of thing so it could in reality be freakin' superb, I just wouldn't
know it.. ;-)

Steve
Old October 21st 04, 04:48 PM
Craig Brossman

Slacker wrote:

But I'm still having a hard time with the stigma, plus I'm really
digging the Titan 4 door thingy.

I have the 4 door Ford P/U, for me it is the perfect vehicle. Plenty of
passenger room, room for camping gear and bikes, 4WD, good hauling and
towing capability.

But then again I live in Durango, if you don't have a P/U you just moved
here from out-of-state.

Old October 21st 04, 05:10 PM
small change

Craig Brossman wrote:
Slacker wrote:

But I'm still having a hard time with the stigma, plus I'm really
digging the Titan 4 door thingy.

I have the 4 door Ford P/U, for me it is the perfect vehicle. Plenty
of passenger room, room for camping gear and bikes, 4WD, good hauling
and towing capability.

But then again I live in Durango, if you don't have a P/U you just
moved here from out-of-state.

I'm thinking that at $2 -$2.50+ gallon this is going to be one spendy road
trip.
I'd vote for an old econoline with a lot of stickers on it, but barring that
a Honda Odessey has a lots of room and probably gets way better mileage than
a truck or SUV.

penny

Old October 21st 04, 05:42 PM
Shawn

Craig Brossman wrote:
Slacker wrote:

But I'm still having a hard time with the stigma, plus I'm really
digging the Titan 4 door thingy.

I have the 4 door Ford P/U, for me it is the perfect vehicle. Plenty of
passenger room, room for camping gear and bikes, 4WD, good hauling and
towing capability.

But then again I live in Durango, if you don't have a P/U you just moved
here from out-of-state.

LOL. In Salida it's a pick-up or a Subaru. I've got both :-)