RR: CO Trail, Durango

Old October 21st 04, 06:25 PM
bri719

Pete wrote:

Or, you could go with an old, beat, step van. Plaster it with stickers, put
in a stealth sound system. All the space you need.
Does UPS ever sell their old trucks?

no, but companies like SBC (nee: Pacific Bell) do. you can put on some
new wheels and rubber, tune it up, clean it out, add some tunes, tint
windows and paint it black. add desired level of stickage. pimpin.

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old October 21st 04, 06:25 PM
Craig Brossman

Shawn wrote:
Craig Brossman wrote:

Slacker wrote:

But I'm still having a hard time with the stigma, plus I'm really
digging the Titan 4 door thingy.

I have the 4 door Ford P/U, for me it is the perfect vehicle. Plenty
of passenger room, room for camping gear and bikes, 4WD, good hauling
and towing capability.

But then again I live in Durango, if you don't have a P/U you just
moved here from out-of-state.

LOL. In Salida it's a pick-up or a Subaru. I've got both :-)

Actually, so do I. Well the Mrs. has the Sub.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply
Old October 22nd 04, 03:25 AM
Pete

"small change" wrote

I'm thinking that at $2 -$2.50+ gallon this is going to be one spendy

road
trip.
I'd vote for an old econoline with a lot of stickers on it, but barring

that
a Honda Odessey has a lots of room and probably gets way better mileage

than
a truck or SUV.

A few years ago, I had the (mis)fortune to own a minivan and an SUV at the
same time. Jeep Grand Cherokee and Chevy Lumina minivan. The minivan kicked
the Jeep's ass in every category, except hardcore 4WD requirements. Ok, it
lost in 'coolfactor' as well. But who cares.

An Odyssey (or most minivans) has way more usable interior space than any
SUV smaller than an Excursion.

Grassroots Motorsport magazine did an interesting test about a year ago. '67
Jag XKE vs. '65 Porsche 356 vs. '03 Honda Odyssey on an autocross course.

Guess which won?

Pete

Old October 23rd 04, 12:49 AM
GeeDubb

Craig Brossman wrote:
Shawn wrote:
Craig Brossman wrote:

Slacker wrote:

But I'm still having a hard time with the stigma, plus I'm really
digging the Titan 4 door thingy.

I have the 4 door Ford P/U, for me it is the perfect vehicle. Plenty
of passenger room, room for camping gear and bikes, 4WD, good
hauling and towing capability.

But then again I live in Durango, if you don't have a P/U you just
moved here from out-of-state.

LOL. In Salida it's a pick-up or a Subaru. I've got both :-)

Actually, so do I. Well the Mrs. has the Sub.

And I want to live in Colorado.....so I have the Outback (wife's), a 4x4
extended cab 454 chevy truck and a full size 83 chevy blazer (4x4 w/400 cid
HO engine). Do I count?
all praise the 10 mpg vehicles........aaacccckkkkk. Gas is still way
cheaper than buying a new vehicle!

Gary

Old October 25th 04, 01:44 PM
Dan Volker

"Dave Wilson" wrote in message
om...
Roger Buchanan wrote in message

[...]
Linda and I are already figuring out our "fantasy" vehicle. A customized
cargo van for camping that is specific for mountain bikes and kayaks. As
soon as we come up with the "fantasy money" we'll get it on the road.

I've been trying to decide on my vehicle. Every few years I and
whatever slacker I can find take a 2-3 month road trip around the US.
I have started mountain biking since the last trip, and I already know
that the next trip must include our bikes. Previously I have used a
Jeep Cherokee for the trips, and it works fine to carry all the
camping gear, and in the city, and on the highway. But now I have a
hitch rack on my current Cherokee, and it's really a PITA to open the
liftgate, which is something you do continuously when camping out of a
Cherokee.

I thought about a Plymouth Voyager / Dodge Caravan, but just couldn't
bring myself to drive a minivan yet. I just replaced the Cherokee
with another Cherokee, and am thinking about putting a roof rack on
it. But I'm concerned about:

- difficulty of getting bikes on/off the roof rack
- excessive highway wind noise
- damage to the bikes from wind/sand/rain/bird impacts
- too much drag slowing down the car
- low bridges

Are any of these likely to be a problem? I've got no experience with
roof racks. I just know I almost never see anyone using them around
here (Florida). If there's a reason for that, I guess I'll go with
either the minivan (NO!) or a pickup truck with a big enough lock box
in the back to hold all the camping gear.

I've got until next spring/summer to decide if I need a new vechicle.

Dave
www.davewilson.cc/Bike

Think about getting a car or truck you can run as a BIODIESEL --- which
means virtually any diesel car or truck--new ones need no modifications,
very old used diesels may need fuel line modification for a minor cost.
You can MAKE your own biodiesel from free waste cooking oil ( sources like
burger king) and 70 cents a gallon for the conversion. A conversion kit you
put in your garage that converts 50 gallons at a time to 45 gallons of
biodiesel can be purchased for about $1900 --you could split one with a few
friends. Each night you can make a new 45 gallons.

Biodiesel in your car or truck means you are driving a vehicle which has
ultra low pollution effects...
Biodiesel means you are not sending money to the scum in the middle east..
Not sending the money out of the US puts it back in the US, which is more
intelligent for our economy
Biodiesel lets you say Screw off to the oil companies..
Biodiesel means you can get over 30 miles a gallon with virtually any car
and most smaller trucks. But at 70 cents per gallon, you can deal with fuel
costs for a larger truck like the big Econoline diesel van ford makes, or
the Sprinter Van Dodge sells.. Imports would provide much more choices in
cars or trucks that run diesel, as it appears the Oil Companies have
succeeded in limiting the selection in the US of American made vehicles and
standard imports.

Dan V

Old October 25th 04, 02:13 PM
Dan Volker

"Dan Volker" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Oh yeah, as to your taking a 3 month trip, you could bring your converter
with you in a small trailer , and then just ask for waste oil at fast food
places along your route. Or, if needed, you can run regular diesel. There
are a few states that actually have biodiesel commercially available, but
none that I know of near Florida.

Dan V

Old October 26th 04, 06:23 PM
MattB

Dan Volker wrote:
snip

Oh yeah, as to your taking a 3 month trip, you could bring your
converter with you in a small trailer , and then just ask for waste
oil at fast food places along your route. Or, if needed, you can run
regular diesel. There are a few states that actually have biodiesel
commercially available, but none that I know of near Florida.

Dan V

You can actually buy Biodiesel in Crested Butte, Co. The Mountain Express
bus service, which is a free bus service between Crested Butte and Mt.
Crested Butte (where the skiing is) just switched to a BD blend. They have
to still use some regular diesel for some reason to do with cold weather.
Pretty cool that it's commercially available, but kind of ironic that the
company providing it is here in Gunnison, but to buy it you have to drive 28
Miles to Crested Butte. It's a step in the right direction and one I've been
considering for a future vehicle. Hopefully the trend will continue. It will
only really catch on if it can be made easy and inexpensive for the average
consumer.

Matt

Old October 27th 04, 01:26 AM
small change

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
MattB wrote:
Dan Volker wrote:
snip

Oh yeah, as to your taking a 3 month trip, you could bring your
converter with you in a small trailer , and then just ask for waste
oil at fast food places along your route. Or, if needed, you can run
regular diesel. There are a few states that actually have biodiesel
commercially available, but none that I know of near Florida.

Dan V

You can get it all over the PNW. I know, it figures.

ps

Old October 31st 04, 02:22 PM
Dan Volker

"Chris Phillipo" wrote in message
.. .
In article , says...
Subject: Fantasy Vehicle (Was RR: CO Trail, Durango)
From: "MattB"
Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike

Dan Volker wrote:
snip

[...]

How much is the tax on biodiesel in the US? It's not much cheaper than
regular diesel here in Canada.

I don't know about the tax, but its very easy to make it yourself--and there
would be no tax on that.
Dan