RR: A Suburban Adventure in Weather

Old October 31st 04, 02:31 AM
Paladin

Default RR: A Suburban Adventure in Weather

Well, with the rain and a huge list of domestic honey-do's laid out
for me today, I knew the likelihood of any riding was slim. But around
4:15, the rain stopped, the sun shone, and there could be heard the
faint sound of angels singing.

So I quickly slipped on the tights, the jacket, the helmet with the
headlamp on it, and headed out from my house on one of my two red
hardtail mtnbikes. If I keep all this road riding up, I'll have to get
a road bike, and learn how to act gay.

Went East on Victory to Gowen Road, (south into the desert) did a
little off-road, urban action on the new road being built there, out
Gowen for a ways, before it started sprinkling again. Looked West, and
it was black, with the clouds streaking down to the ground. I might be
stupid, but even I could figure what was coming. So I went off road,
riding the track next to the New York Canal (lat least I think that
was it).

Before I knew it, it started raining buckets and hailing, so I bailed
off the canal-bank around Maple Grove, got in a long line of traffic
that was moving north very slow due to an accident around MG & Amity.
By now I'm truly soaked, dripping, laughing and a little spaced by the
constant pelting of hail on my helmet, and wondering how much
adventure could I take? At a stop, I leaned back and laughed, choosing
to enjoy the elements to the full, as a cop directed traffic around a
serious looking fender-bender.

Book it hard west on amity to 5-Mile when I realize I have a rear
flat. The gift of the ride that just keeps on giving. Pull under a
tree, fumble my gloves off, get my CO2 to add about 30lbs to the rear
tire, re-mount and book it hard to the happy hacienda, just a mile
from there. Tire survives more or less.

Arrive soaked, chilled, be-draggled, but with that grin that says any
ride is better than sitting on the couch getting fat -- or spinning
with some geeks in a funkified dungeon.

So there you have it. A ride. I guess.
__________________
Now remember boys and girls. Real men don't buy upgrades--they ride up
grades. Paladin
Old October 31st 04, 02:44 AM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Paladin wrote:
Well, with the rain and a huge list of domestic honey-do's laid out
for me today, I knew the likelihood of any riding was slim. But around
4:15, the rain stopped, the sun shone, and there could be heard the
faint sound of angels singing.

So I quickly slipped on the tights, the jacket, the helmet with the
headlamp on it, and headed out from my house on one of my two red
hardtail mtnbikes. If I keep all this road riding up, I'll have to get
a road bike, and learn how to act gay.

Once one buys a road bike, one needn't "ACT" at all

[...]

Very nice. A while back I did a coastal ga--- er, road ride here in San
Diego, and it started to rain right when I was at the farthest point from
home (~20 miles). By the time I was climbing Torrey Pines Grade (a
well-known grind), it was DUMPING. By the time I summited (a word?), the
wind was HOWLING. By the time I...well, went 100 more yards, the temp
PLUMMETED. That was a *LONG* ride home, I tells ya!

Bill "funniest part was the looks of disbelief/sympathy on faces of drivers"
S.

Old November 1st 04, 01:18 AM
Bill Wheeler

On 30 Oct 2004 19:31:31 -0700, (Paladin) wrote:

[...]

That's a ride alright!

Now remember boys and girls. Real men don't buy upgrades--they ride up
grades. Paladin

nice,
bill