How do you justify a $800 bike?

Old September 24th 05, 04:31 PM
ReptilesBlade

Default How do you justify a $800 bike?

Or any bicycle over just a few hundred dollars? How do you explain it to your
loved ones when they cannot seem to understand why you would do such a crazy
thing (sic)?

I am having difficulty getting my family to back off a bit so any idea what
you guys tell yours would probably help me. They just cannot understand that
I bought it as a vehicle, not a toy.

--
---
END OF LINE.

http://www.usenet.com

Old September 24th 05, 05:07 PM
maxo

How do you justify a $25,000 car?

My last commuter cost around the amount you mention--paid for itself in
a couple of months when you consider car payments, insurance, parking
tickets, etc.

You don't have to be a commuter to "justify" it though. Best way is
health. What does ONE little visit to the ER for chest pains cost?
Yeah, you just bought yourself a Rivendell Quickbeam. LOL

Old September 24th 05, 05:09 PM

Value and cost are two different things. Ask them what kind of car
they drive. If they drive anything more expensive than an entry level
economy car turn the question around and ask them why they would waste
their money on such a "crazy thing".

They may cite things such as better safety features, better resale
value, better durability, etc. The same things can be said of the
better quality bicycles.

Anytime you spend more on a tool than is required to just get the job
done your indulging in a luxury. But there is nothing wrong with this.
After all luxuries are what make the difference between living and
surviving.

If you have the disposable income to spend on a more expensive bike and
it's what you want - do it..... Especially if you are using it for
real transportation rather than a recreational vehicle.
================
Leon McAtee
$500 Golf to drive to work - a basic tool
$1500 recumbent to ride on the weekends......I'd ride it to work but
600 miles is a bit far

Old September 24th 05, 05:09 PM
Rich

Bill Sornson wrote:

I am having difficulty getting my family to back off a bit so any
idea what you guys tell yours would probably help me. They just
cannot understand that I bought it as a vehicle, not a toy.

Get a new family.

Or get real fat. Then they'll see the errros of their ways.
Old September 24th 05, 05:18 PM
Roger Zoul

:
: I am having difficulty getting my family to back off a bit so any
: idea what you guys tell yours would probably help me. They just
: cannot understand that I bought it as a vehicle, not a toy.

Become independent of your family and make your own decisions.

Old September 24th 05, 05:18 PM
Haakon Studebaker

ReptilesBlade wrote in
:

How do you explain it to your loved ones when they cannot
seem to understand why you would do such a crazy thing (sic)?

It's my money not your money. STFU. Not to put too fine a point on it.

Even explaining $20/month for four years really won't get the point across
to most people.
Old September 24th 05, 05:21 PM
Leo Lichtman

"ReptilesBlade" wrote: (clip) They just cannot understand that I bought it
as a vehicle, not a toy.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maybe you could justify it as a toy, rather than a vehicle. Does no one
else in your family derive pleasure from things like antiques, pictures,
comedy, eating out, travel, pretty clothes, hair do's, sports?

Unfortunately, it's like trying to explain a joke to someone who just
doesn't get it. No amount of explanation will make it funny. So, Bill S.
may be right. If you can't change your family's attitude, you may have to
change your family.

Or, don't try to justify it. Just DO it.

Old September 24th 05, 05:33 PM
mark

"ReptilesBlade" wrote ...
Or any bicycle over just a few hundred dollars? How do you explain it to
your
loved ones when they cannot seem to understand why you would do such a
crazy
thing (sic)?

I am having difficulty getting my family to back off a bit so any idea
what
you guys tell yours would probably help me. They just cannot understand
that
I bought it as a vehicle, not a toy.

Take them to a good bike shop and show them some really expensive bicycles?
--
mark

Old September 24th 05, 05:44 PM
Bob

ReptilesBlade wrote:
Or any bicycle over just a few hundred dollars? How do you explain it to your
loved ones when they cannot seem to understand why you would do such a crazy
thing (sic)?

I am having difficulty getting my family to back off a bit so any idea what
you guys tell yours would probably help me. They just cannot understand that
I bought it as a vehicle, not a toy.

If you are the primary breadwinner in the family and are meeting all
their basic needs, no "justification" is required. If OTOH you bought a
new bike when the kids' shoes are worn out, there's no food on the
table, unpaid bills are piling up, creditors are hounding you, and a
family member still needs that surgery to live a normal life... well
then- shame on you.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Windosr Tourist Bike Revisiited Earl Bollinger General 16 February 13th 05 08:04 PM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM