"Mayor of London 'must act' on engine idling"

Old January 24th 11, 06:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Doug[_3_]

Default "Mayor of London 'must act' on engine idling"

This is the sort of harmful pollution that cyclists in London,
including Critical Mass, are made to put up with but fortunately are
never guilty of.

"Leaving engines running while parked in central London is leading to
soaring pollution levels, the Green Party has warned.

The Mayor of London wants to make London a no-idling zone, but Green
activist Michael Coffey fears it will not happen for another year.

He urged taxi and delivery drivers to switch off engines while waiting
and called on Boris Johnson to act fast.

The mayor's office said he had a "firm commitment" to a no-idling
policy..."

Mo

-- .
Critical Mass London.
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"Whose streets? Our streets!"
Old January 24th 11, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Sunny Bard

Doug wrote:

The mayor's office said he had a "firm commitment" to a no-idling
policy..."

And it'll make this ---0--- much difference. What next a maximum
number of engine revs policy?
Old January 24th 11, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Adrian

Sunny Bard gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

The mayor's office said he had a "firm commitment" to a no-idling
policy..."

And it'll make this ---0--- much difference.

It will.

There's some silly cow who has her lunch in her car parked outside my
office. She comes out of her office, unlocks the car, starts it, then
sits in it for an hour with the engine idling. Then she switches it off,
locks it, and goes back into her office.

Some days, we've had to close the office windows, because the smell of
diesel's got too strong.
Old January 24th 11, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
ash[_2_]

On Jan 24, 6:01*am, Doug wrote:
This is the sort of harmful pollution that cyclists in London,
including Critical Mass, are made to put up with but fortunately are
never guilty of.

"Leaving engines running while parked in central London is leading to
soaring pollution levels, the Green Party has warned.

The Mayor of London wants to make London a no-idling zone, but Green
activist Michael Coffey fears it will not happen for another year.

He urged taxi and delivery drivers to switch off engines while waiting
and called on Boris Johnson to act fast.

The mayor's office said he had a "firm commitment" to a no-idling
policy..."

Mohttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12261840

-- .
Critical Mass London.
*http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"Whose streets? Our streets!"

Buses are the worst offenders by a country mile for particulate
emissions Doug
Old January 24th 11, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mr. Benn[_8_]

"Doug" wrote in message
This is the sort of harmful pollution that cyclists in London,
including Critical Mass, are made to put up with but fortunately are
never guilty of.

"Leaving engines running while parked in central London is leading to
soaring pollution levels, the Green Party has warned.

The Mayor of London wants to make London a no-idling zone, but Green
activist Michael Coffey fears it will not happen for another year.

He urged taxi and delivery drivers to switch off engines while waiting
and called on Boris Johnson to act fast.

The mayor's office said he had a "firm commitment" to a no-idling
policy..."

Does anyone know why bus drivers leave their vehicle idling for minutes at a
time? I got on a bus in Exeter recently at the bus station. For the ten
minutes I was waiting for the bus to leave the station, the engine was
idling all the time. What is the point?

Is there a problem re-starting the engine? It doesn't sound very likely.

Old January 24th 11, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
bod

On 24/01/2011 10:30, Mr. Benn wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

Warming up the bus heating?

--
Bod
Old January 24th 11, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Adrian

bod gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Does anyone know why bus drivers leave their vehicle idling for minutes
at a time? I got on a bus in Exeter recently at the bus station. For
the ten minutes I was waiting for the bus to leave the station, the
engine was idling all the time. What is the point?

Indolence.

Is there a problem re-starting the engine? It doesn't sound very
likely.

Warming up the bus heating?

The coolant would lose virtually no temperature in ten minutes switched
off.
Old January 24th 11, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
bod

On 24/01/2011 10:49, Adrian wrote:
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Does anyone know why bus drivers leave their vehicle idling for minutes
at a time? I got on a bus in Exeter recently at the bus station. For
the ten minutes I was waiting for the bus to leave the station, the
engine was idling all the time. What is the point?

Indolence.

Is there a problem re-starting the engine? It doesn't sound very
likely.

Warming up the bus heating?

The coolant would lose virtually no temperature in ten minutes switched
off.

Assuming that the bus had been running prior to the ten minutes of
idling and was already warmed up, of course.

--
Bod
Old January 24th 11, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Adrian

bod gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Does anyone know why bus drivers leave their vehicle idling for
minutes at a time? I got on a bus in Exeter recently at the bus
station. For the ten minutes I was waiting for the bus to leave the
station, the engine was idling all the time. What is the point?

Indolence.

Is there a problem re-starting the engine? It doesn't sound very
likely.

Warming up the bus heating?

The coolant would lose virtually no temperature in ten minutes switched
off.

Assuming that the bus had been running prior to the ten minutes of
idling and was already warmed up, of course.

Indeed. But, apart from at oh-my-god-it's-early-o'clock heading from the
depot towards the bus station with only the driver on board, it will be.