Do you own a wired or wireless cyclometer?

Old July 28th 05, 07:35 AM
jes.sandiegoca

Default Do you own a wired or wireless cyclometer?

Or do you have one?

I'm looking to buy one. Is one just as good as another?

cjs

Old July 28th 05, 10:23 AM
Jon_H

"jes.sandiegoca" wrote in message
Or do you have one?

I'm looking to buy one. Is one just as good as another?

cjs

I own both, A cateye astrale 8 wired to my TT bike as it shows cadence and
a halfords wireless on my road bike, it was cheap and easier to fit than
wrapping wires around the forks and cables.

cheers
Jon_H

Old July 28th 05, 11:39 AM
catzz66

jes.sandiegoca wrote:
Or do you have one?

I'm looking to buy one. Is one just as good as another?

cjs

I have had better luck with wired. I bought a bag-o-zip ties when I
started back riding. It has enough colors that I can usually find
something that sorta matches my bikes so they are not that noticable.

I'm more interested in logging the miles and mph at this point in my
riding, so the basic CatEye just works for me.
Old July 28th 05, 02:08 PM
Jeff Starr

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:35:04 -0700, "jes.sandiegoca"
wrote:

Or do you have one?

I'm looking to buy one. Is one just as good as another?

cjs

I have one on each of my two bikes. I like wired because they use only
one battery and are not bothered by electrical interference. The
downside is having the wires, although if installed neatly, they don't
look bad.

I started with a cheapy, that just had basic features. That one was
hard on batteries. My second one was a Sigma Sport Targa, designed
more for mtb use, it had a heavier cable and one feature that I liked,
it was designed to be mounted on the stem.

When I got my LeMond, the LBS recommended a Cateye, I went with the
Astrale 8, which has all the basic features and cadence. While cadence
isn't necessary, I have found it a valuable tool, in improving my
spinning.

I use my older road bike on a trainer, during the winter, so I
replaced the SS Targa with an older Cateye Astrale, that has the
sensor designed to be used on the rear wheel. It also has cadence,
which is a good training tool.

I believe that the Cateye Astrale 8 now comes with the wiring harness
designed to go to the rear wheel.. When I got mine in July of 2003, it
was set up for front wheel mounting. Both front or rear have different
advantages. As I said, I needed rear for use with my trainer.

Short answer - wired!

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old July 28th 05, 02:35 PM
C Wright

On 7/28/05 1:35 AM, in article n0%Fe.27029$bp.8588@fed1read03,
"jes.sandiegoca" wrote:

Or do you have one?

I'm looking to buy one. Is one just as good as another?

cjs

I have owned both types and am currently using the wireless type. The
wireless one is certainly as accurate as the wired variety and I like the
convenience of having no wire to be concerned about. The wireless
instructions caution about possible interference if there is not a direct
line of sight between the sensor and the computer. I have never had any
problem with this but it might be a consideration for someone who uses some
sort of handlebar bag.
Chuck

Old July 28th 05, 04:16 PM
Bill Sornson

jes.sandiegoca wrote:

Or do you have one?

Yes.

I'm looking to buy one.

Mine's not for sale. :-P

Is one just as good as another?

Pretty much.

Someone else mentioned wireless cyclometers as having lots of bells and
whistles, but that's not the case. My 8 or 9 year old Specialized wireless
is about as basic as it gets; works great. Think it cost around $30.

Bill S.

Old July 28th 05, 05:40 PM
Maggie

jes.sandiegoca wrote:
Or do you have one?

I'm looking to buy one. Is one just as good as another?

cjs

I bought a cyclometer, had the cyclometer put on my bike, I have not
looked at it once. I ride every day. I accomplished a 25 mile ride
for charity and a 50 mile ride for charity. I hear wired is best, (if
you care about looking at it.) ;-)
If not, then they are a waste of money. Mine certainly was. I am
thinking of taking it off. Want me to send it to you?

Cycle on
Maggie.

Old July 28th 05, 05:59 PM
Rich

Maggie wrote:

If not, then they are a waste of money. Mine certainly was. I am
thinking of taking it off. Want me to send it to you?

You can send it to me. I have three bikes (tandem, very old MTB, newer
MTB) but only two computers, so I'd be interested in another one. And I
promise I'll look at it.

Rich
Old July 28th 05, 06:25 PM
SlowRider

I always go by whatever's cheapest at Nashbar or wherever. Usually
that means about $10-12 for a Sigma Sport low-end model. When my old
one (with average speed indicator) finally gave up the ghost I got a
cheap one without the average speed. This turned out to be a good
thing, because now I have to compute it in my head, so I exercise the
grey matter as well as the legs.

Mainly I use the mileage indicator to gage out-and-back rides or to
measure new routes. And I use the clock to regulate food and drink
intake on long rides.

-JR