Rim strength vs tire pressure question

Old July 19th 03, 07:13 AM
Mike Kruger

Default Rim strength vs tire pressure question

"archer" wrote in message
My old Schwinn LeTank has been running for at least the last 20 years on
the same set of tires, and they have served me well. Now that I've been
riding more (over the last two years), they have finally reached the end
of their useful life. They are Schwinn branded 27 by 1-1/4 tires rated
at 85 psi, which is where I keep them.

The rims are steel and are in good condition, with only a very few tiny
rust spots on the inner surface (toward the hub). Am I likely to be safe
putting some smaller, higher-pressure tires in the 100 - 120 psi range on
these rims to reduce my rolling resistance, or should I stick to the
larger 80 - 90 psi tires?

1. Make sure you have "normal" rims, not the Schwinn proprietary rim design
that needs special tires.
Any LBS that used to have "Schwinn" in the name can tell.

2. In some cases, there can be problems with the tires failing to hold the
rim, even if it's a "normal" rim.
I suffered from this on old steel rims even at 90 psi, and finally just
pitched them and got new aluminum rims. (They are a lot safer in the rain,
as well.)

3. Can you even get 120 psi tires in a 27 inch size any more? What's
available from whom?

Old July 19th 03, 01:00 PM
Harris

"Eric S. Sande" wrote:
On the other hand complete new wheels could be cheaper.

If it isn't then look at Conti TT2Ks in 27 inch as an option for
new tires. Expensive but they will last a while.

They won't be racing tires but they will be durable.

Or IRC Road Winner available in 27 x 1-1/8" or 27 x 1-1/4" for about $13.
These are good tires and will wear well.

Art Harris

Old July 19th 03, 01:37 PM
Eric S. Sande

Or IRC Road Winner available in 27 x 1-1/8" or 27 x 1-1/4" for about
$13. These are good tires and will wear well.

They aren't dead yet, But it's coming fast for 27, you'd better buy
up all those quality tires fast before it all flakes out.

:-)

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old July 20th 03, 01:00 AM
Tom Sherman

Chris Phillipo wrote:

There will always be 27" tires available but they will be $5-10$ tires
and you get what you pay for.

I saw some of these in a hardware/agricultural supply store not too long
ago.

Old July 20th 03, 02:33 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...

I saw some of these in a hardware/agricultural supply store not too long
ago.

Shopping for the bent again, I see.

Anyway, while you were checking out the latest in
3/4 inch hose clamps and zinc coated lag screws
with the other guys in cheap t-shirts and John Deere
baseball caps I was in shops like La Bicicletta and
Campione talking Campy Record and with Giuseppe
and Paul wearing my cotton team Cantina / Tollo cycling
cap and my nubuc -high NBS vulcanized sole Oakley
smoke amphibious breathable architecture sandals!

Now do you see the huge gulf between benters and
elite level roadies like Me?

Old July 20th 03, 03:13 AM
Tom Sherman

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...

I saw some of these in a hardware/agricultural supply store not too long
ago.

Shopping for the bent again, I see.

Anyway, while you were checking out the latest in
3/4 inch hose clamps and zinc coated lag screws
with the other guys in cheap t-shirts and John Deere
baseball caps I was in shops like La Bicicletta and
Campione talking Campy Record and with Giuseppe
and Paul wearing my cotton team Cantina / Tollo cycling
cap and my nubuc -high NBS vulcanized sole Oakley
smoke amphibious breathable architecture sandals!

Now do you see the huge gulf between benters and
elite level roadies like Me?

Yes, I see the difference. If you came around here dressed like that and
started talking trash about John Deere, you would get your butt kicked
by the locals.

By the way, us sophisticated 'benters' refer to them as Jubilee clips,
not hose clamps. Such ignorance.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Home of Deere & Company)
Old July 20th 03, 10:54 PM
Mike Latondresse

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" wrote in
. ca:

I was in shops like La Bicicletta and
Campione

Il Campione Fab, Il Campione. Ya gotta get the details right.

Tire glue question. Andrew Court General 1 July 16th 03 11:09 AM
Tire Wear David L. Johnson General 7 July 15th 03 04:44 PM
Tire recommendation?? Paul Southworth General 0 July 14th 03 05:38 PM