Not just SJS that's expensive

Old June 4th 06, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Not just SJS that's expensive

Although actually I've always been pretty happy with the prices of my
purchases from SJS.

After reading the review in the latest issue of Cycle of the Polaris
Nexus Touring Shorts, I thought I'd try a pair. The review lists a
price of £34.95. Everywhere that Google found them has them for £34.99
or less - except the CTC shop. That lists them at £40.00, with a
members' price of £36.00:
url:http://www.ctcshop.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=4074&page=3

Hmm. So what is the point of the CTC shop, exactly?

--
Danny Colyer URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
Subscribe to PlusNet URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/
Old June 4th 06, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Danny Colyer wrote:

Although actually I've always been pretty happy with the prices of my
purchases from SJS.

After reading the review in the latest issue of Cycle of the Polaris
Nexus Touring Shorts, I thought I'd try a pair. The review lists a
price of £34.95. Everywhere that Google found them has them for £34.99
or less - except the CTC shop. That lists them at £40.00, with a
members' price of £36.00:
url:http://www.ctcshop.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=4074&page=3

Hmm. So what is the point of the CTC shop, exactly?

To make money for a) Evans and b) the CTC.

Last in the pecking order comes the member :-(

John B

Old June 5th 06, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Danny Colyer" wrote in message

Hmm. So what is the point of the CTC shop, exactly?

It's for Evans to make money from a supposedly captive market, I think. I
won't buy from Evans or EvansAsCTCShop. The CTC shop used to be Bike Plus
and I always got good value and good service from Bike Plus. I still use
Bike Plus now, even though it no longer has the CTC shop and I won't use
Evans at all.

Cheers, helen s

Old June 5th 06, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wafflycat wrote:
It's for Evans to make money from a supposedly captive market, I think. I
won't buy from Evans or EvansAsCTCShop. The CTC shop used to be Bike Plus
and I always got good value and good service from Bike Plus. I still use
Bike Plus now, even though it no longer has the CTC shop and I won't use
Evans at all.

I've had some good deals from Evans over the years, but I've never found
it worthwhile to buy from the CTC shop while they've been running it.
And yes, I much prefer to use Bike Plus.

I ordered the shorts from Settle in the end, because they had the right
price and no carriage charge.