clipless horror stories

Old April 23rd 04, 02:13 AM
Gary

Default clipless horror stories

I had been researching peoples comments on the use and techniques of
clipless pedals as I was trying to decide if I was going to make the
switch.

I made the switch and tried to take all the advice I read in this
group and on various websites to prevent any big falls.

I lasted 3 miles.

I ride to work every day and there is one spot where I take a shortcut
from a parking lot onto a bike trail. It's steep, 30feet long, then I
have to do a 180 degree turn in a space about the length of my bike.
Completely impossible to do without putting at least one foot down.

Knowing this was coming up I unclipped both my pedals just before the
steep 30 foot hill. If I plan it right I have just enough momentum to
get the crest before I stop and then make 180 degree turn.

Just before I reached the top my foot clipped back into the pedal. I
am now at the top of the hill, almost stopped, clipless rookie, steep
30 foot hill to my left, and starting to panic.

The next 2 seconds are definitely not my most glamous. I fell and
started a mini cartwheel, the bike rolled over the top of me and
dragged me back to the bottom of the hill. Thankfully, the hill was
grass and the only damage was to my pride.

This got me thinking that there has to be a tonne of great clipless
horror stories out there.

I did read of one online somewhere of a poor recently seperated guy
who was slowing down for a light and then saw his ex-wife snuggled up
with some new guy in the car also stopping at the light. He was so
suprised and upset that he completely forgot to release his shoes and
toppled over right in front of her. Not one of his fining moments.

Do you have a horror story?? I'd love to here it..

...gary

Old April 23rd 04, 07:12 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Gary wrote:

[...]

Sorry, nothing impressive. Clipless have been a lot less trouble for me
than toe clips, and much more comfy. But early on, I did the classic
"fall down clipped in at a stoplight in front of cars" trick. Which I do
not recommend.

Oh yeah, and there was one or two truly spectacular mountain bike
crashes last year, but those had nothing to do with my pedals.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old April 23rd 04, 07:35 AM
S. Anderson

"Gary" wrote in message
Do you have a horror story?? I'd love to here it..

I used to ride Onza pedals. These have a nasty habit of not releasing at
the top of the pedal stroke. They seem to snag up becauseof the design of
the cleat mechanism. They release best with weight on the pedal at the
bottom of the pedal stroke with perfect horizontal-only rotation, which is
somewhat counter-intuitive in an emergency. I was riding a sidehill trail,
fairly steep, but not that high, maybe 50 or 75' to the bottom. Now keep in
mind, I RARELY crash..in that last 10 years, maybe 2 or 3 spills, all fairly
minor. I'm trailing a weaker rider (mistake #1..) and that person had to
stop on the trail because it was getting too technical and steep. So I look
up to see this person stopped in the middle of the trail, no warning and I
had my head down (fatal in hockey!). I veer off to the open side, which
also happened to be the open side...didn't quite make it and desperately
started trying to get my foot out. I swear, I nearly tore every frickin'
ligament in my knee and ankle trying to get that god-damned pedal out!!
Anyway, didn't happen, fell perfectly sideways down the ravine, did two
perfect loops, fscking bike still clipped to my bloody feet. Gave upon the
Onzas after that ride, after 2 years with them. None the worse for wear
really, but rather embarassing. Nothing quite like that feeling when you're
going past the balance point on the steep side, next stop, 12' down...

Cheers,

Scott..

Old April 23rd 04, 08:39 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Ryan Cousineau writes:

Sorry, nothing impressive.

Same here. It bodes no good to talk so disparagingly
of clipless pedals. When properly adjusted, there
should simply be no problem.

Oh yeah, and there was one or two truly spectacular mountain bike
crashes last year, but those had nothing to do with my pedals.

I had one last year, w/ my Zfal MTN toe clips -- I was
going back home from the Jiffy laundromat with a sackful
of wet laundry sticking up outa my milk crate. I forgot
it was there, went to cowboy-mount, my leg bounced back
off the sticky-uppy bag o' laundry, and I toppled over
at such an angle, I couldn't easily free my foot from the
pedal and its infrastucture. I experienced having my own
bike sorta jumping my bones. A little embarrassing, but
no big whoop.

Those cheap-assed Zefal plastic "MTB" clips & cordura straps
are great, 'cuz they don't lock one in so hard as the
old fashioned stuff. Yet they provide lotsa retension.
And when ya pull yer foot out, they're easy to re-enter.
(Except when ya fall over at a certain vector g.)

It's just as trivially easy to squirm out of clipless pedals
as toke-lips & toast-wraps.

Plain flatties in the city, though, are nearly idiot-proof.

I've got some old leather belt-&-buckle straps and metal
clips around here somewhere. I guess ppl remember that
old-fashioned crap and it scares them off. I don't
blame 'em. Cordura straps are the best invention since
bottle openers.

good ride,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old April 23rd 04, 02:21 PM
Michael S. Moorhead

Not really a horror story, but...

A couple months back I embarked on my first distance ride of the season (not
too far, ~45 miles). It was probably only my third time on the road with
clipless pedals, having spent the winter on the indoor trainer. About a
mile from the end of the trip I hit a pothole, which knocked my pump and
blinkie onto the ground. Suffering from both winter atrophy and exhaustion,
I stopped to go back and pick them up...

At about 5MPH, I decided to unclip from the pedals... My legs decided that
they didn't want to go along with this plan. They were apparently happy
right where they were. 4...3...2... I'm going to fall, aren't I? 1...
STOP... WOBBLE... CRASH!!! Well, the good news was that I came unclipped
during the fall. I'm a pretty big guy, and luckily enough I didn't break
the arm I landed on.

Now, I hadn't seen another cyclist ALL DAY LONG. Of course, moments after I
fall a couple glides right past and doesn't even say a word (I was standing
by then). One of the things I like about cycling is that we always give a
nod, wave, or simple "hello" as we pass eachother. In this case, I can
envision two possibilities: 1.) I was the idiot who didn't know how to
ride my bike and didn't deserve the time of day, or 2.) Every cyclist out
there has fallen over after failing to clip out and they were giving me the
requisite few moments to swallow my pride in solitude. If it was, in fact,
the latter of these, I thank you!

MSM

Old April 23rd 04, 03:48 PM
Carolyn

Gary wrote in message . ..
Do you have a horror story?? I'd love to here it..

I switched to clipless a year ago, on various friends' advice, and
didn't ever have the manditory "I forgot I'm clipped in" fall. I like
clipless, I get less tired and less sore, so I bought new shoes cheap
($30 canadian) at the bike show.

Mistake #1 - I attach the cleats loosely, so I can adjust them once I
check my old shoes and I don't lose the hardware.

Mistake #2 - I forget that I have done this when, weeks later, I
decide to try my new comfy shoes out, and don't realize why my
connection to the pedals feels weird until I've clipped both shoes in,
I am riding along a major arterial road, and the light ahead of me is
red.

The sidewalk looked safer than the road, especially is this was
morning rush hour, so I dove for it. My pride had the worst bruises.

After that, though, it was a beautiful ride.

Carolyn
Old April 23rd 04, 04:47 PM
John Everett

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:13:21 -0700, Gary
wrote:

Do you have a horror story?? I'd love to here it..

When I took up cycling again in the late '80s I bought a Trek 1400. It
came with Look pedals. Not wanting to invest in new cycling shoes, I
bought a set of Instep adaptors, which I rode with for a couple of
months. I finally bought a pair of clipless shoes and headed out for a
ride. As I was approaching an intersection I noticed a particularly
good-looking woman walking a dog. I rode right up next to her, came to
a stop, and promptly plopped over. :-(

When I first started going out with my girlfriend she only had a MTB
with platform pedals. She soon acquired a used Trek 520 with SPDs. I
bought her a pair of cycling shoes and cleats and we went out for a
ride. As we were riding past a friend of her's house she spotted her
friend. We rode up the driveway and came to a stop next to her friend,
whereupon my girlfriend demonstrated the horizontal trackstand. :-(

There's those who have and those who will!

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old April 23rd 04, 05:55 PM
Dane Jackson

Michael S. Moorhead wrote:

envision two possibilities: 1.) I was the idiot who didn't know how to
ride my bike and didn't deserve the time of day, or 2.) Every cyclist out
there has fallen over after failing to clip out and they were giving me the
requisite few moments to swallow my pride in solitude. If it was, in fact,
the latter of these, I thank you!

I only clipless moment I've seen someone else have was getting on the
ferry for the Chilly Hilly ride last year. A recumbent rider (late
fourties or so) was pulling to a stop next to me. She stopped, I could
see her flexing to snap out of her SPD's, and slowly toppled over. She
obviously was unhurt, and so I silently pretended not to have seen
anything (knowing from my own clip-less moment's the thing I wanted most
was noone else to have seen it).

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
I brake for chronovores
Old April 23rd 04, 06:12 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Dane Jackson writes:

She
obviously was unhurt, and so I silently pretended not to have seen
anything (knowing from my own clip-less moment's the thing I wanted most
was noone else to have seen it).

There's /always/ an audience nearby for such incidents.
I think it must be some sort of law of nature.

Maybe the best way to have an incident-free ride is to
go where nobody's lookin'.

good ride,
Tom