Better pedals?

Old October 3rd 12, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

Default Better pedals?

Anyone recommend pedals with a fifteen year warranty?

My left bearing is locked up and it's less than two years old.

The one it replaced was thirty years old.

Needs to be able to do fifty or more miles per week year-round,
any kind of weather.

--
Wes Groleau

Expert, n.:
Someone who comes from out of town and shows slides.

Old October 3rd 12, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Oct 2, 6:01*pm, Wes Groleau wrote:
Anyone recommend pedals with a fifteen year warranty?

My left bearing is locked up and it's less than two years old.

The one it replaced was thirty years old.

Needs to be able to do fifty or more miles per week year-round,
any kind of weather.

--
Wes Groleau

Expert, n.:
* * * * *Someone who comes from out of town and shows slides.

What pedal are you using? I think for commuting, you can't beat a
pair of Shimano SPD. Even the cheap ones last a long time. Last
season, I rode through water above my bottom bracket, and when I
cracked open the old SPDs, the grease was still fresh.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 3rd 12, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

$$$ PLUS STEEL

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...p?category=113

MIND BOGGLING ! most for small feet

takum apart and grease replace bearings spring/fall

Old October 3rd 12, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 18:18:58 -0700 (PDT), Jay Beattie
wrote:

On Oct 2, 6:01*pm, Wes Groleau wrote:
Anyone recommend pedals with a fifteen year warranty?

My left bearing is locked up and it's less than two years old.

The one it replaced was thirty years old.

Needs to be able to do fifty or more miles per week year-round,
any kind of weather.

--
Wes Groleau

Expert, n.:
* * * * *Someone who comes from out of town and shows slides.

What pedal are you using? I think for commuting, you can't beat a
pair of Shimano SPD. Even the cheap ones last a long time. Last
season, I rode through water above my bottom bracket, and when I
cracked open the old SPDs, the grease was still fresh.

-- Jay Beattie.

I second that. Had the same experience. Checked and they needed no
work at all. Great stuff.
Old October 3rd 12, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Wes Groleau wrote:
Anyone recommend pedals with a fifteen year warranty?

My left bearing is locked up and it's less than two years old.

The one it replaced was thirty years old.

Needs to be able to do fifty or more miles per week year-round,
any kind of weather.

What make and model of pedal gave you that problem? I'm wondering if
it's an anomaly.

I have one friend who had a pedal lock up on a ride many years ago.
Sorry, I don't remember what brand. But when we opened it up, we found
one bearing ball had split neatly in two, then jammed the works. I
imagine that was the fault of the bearing manufacturer, one that could
have afflicted almost any brand of similar quality, and probably a very
rare occurrence.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 3rd 12, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 21:01:49 -0400, Wes Groleau
wrote:

Anyone recommend pedals with a fifteen year warranty?

My left bearing is locked up and it's less than two years old.

The one it replaced was thirty years old.

Needs to be able to do fifty or more miles per week year-round,
any kind of weather.

You don't say what type pedals you are presently using.

I have been using Shimano SPD pedals for a few years and have had
literally no problems with the two models I have used, the M520 and
M540. I do occasionally oil them though :-)

--
Cheers,
John B.
Old October 3rd 12, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 2, 8:01*pm, Wes Groleau wrote:
Anyone recommend pedals with a fifteen year warranty?

My left bearing is locked up and it's less than two years old.

The one it replaced was thirty years old.

Needs to be able to do fifty or more miles per week year-round,
any kind of weather.

--
Wes Groleau

Depends on what your requirements are. Anything cartridge bearing
should be fairly weather proof. I've got SPuDs that are nearly 15
years old, and though they have a little slop in the bushing, the
cartridge bearing is smooth. VO makes traditional pedals with carts.

That said, loose ball with marine grease will hold up to a lot,as will
fairly junky pedals if you drip motor oil into them every now and
again. Pedals don't care much what you lubricate them with as long as
you do.
Old October 4th 12, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 10-03-2012 10:39, landotter wrote:
[...]

Well, I never lubricated the original, and it lasted thirty years,
so it's a bit irritating to have the replacement last less than one
year. Maybe it's a fluke like someone suggested.

But it makes me want a warranty to claim when the next fluke strikes.

--
Wes Groleau

Can we afford to be relevant?
http://www.cetesol.org/stevick.html

Old October 4th 12, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 10-02-2012 22:55, Frank Krygowski wrote:
What make and model of pedal gave you that problem? I'm wondering if
it's an anomaly.

Could be. I don't recall the make after a year. But the next one will
have the original packaging and the warranty carefully filed for posterity.

--
Wes Groleau

“Lewis's case for the existence of God is fallacious.”
"You mean like circular reasoning?”
“He believes in God. Therefore, he's fallacious."

Old October 5th 12, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 10-04-2012 01:25, Wes Groleau wrote:
Well, I never lubricated the original, and it lasted thirty years,
so it's a bit irritating to have the replacement last less than one
year. Maybe it's a fluke like someone suggested.

But it makes me want a warranty to claim when the next fluke strikes.

Mechanic says none of them have warranties.

Perhaps my originals were sealed bearings. That's what I ended up buying.

--
Wes Groleau

"What progress we are making! In the Middle Ages, they would have
burnt me; nowadays they are content with burning my books.”
— Sigmund Freud, 1933
"He was never to know that even that was only an illusory progress,
that ten years later they would have burned his body as well.”
— Ernest Jones, 1953