To carbon fork or not to carbon fork...

Old October 14th 12, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

Default To carbon fork or not to carbon fork...

I have a road bike that had a lower end Profile Design carbon fork. I got a
good deal on a much better Easton EC90 fork. A noticeable improvement in
ride quality and I have no fears the fork will deteriorate. Given a low to mid
end carbon fork I would stay with steel. If you can afford a better CF fork I
would go for it.

Rick

In article ,
says...

I'm considering getting a road bike and considering whether to get the

"standard" model or the same model with a carbon fork for $100 or so more.
It's supposed to make for a more stable ride on rougher roads, but wha

Old October 14th 12, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 14/10/12 13:05, piscesboy wrote:
I'm considering getting a road bike and considering whether to get
the "standard" model or the same model with a carbon fork for $100 or
so more. It's supposed to make for a more stable ride on rougher
roads, but what are your conclusions/reviews/recommendations on this
claim?

There are too many variables to consider. As it has been noted, best to
take the bikes for a test ride and see if you can feel any difference.

Be careful that other components such as wheels, tyres and tyre pressure
are identical.

--
JS
Old October 15th 12, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

EYEYEYHAHAHHAHHAHAHH,,,

once again we urn to our fiends at UC, home of the drool drool UC TIRE WALL

I'm in for a Ridely Python !

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...4&category=704

Old October 15th 12, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:19:00 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
EYEYEYHAHAHHAHHAHAHH,,,

once again we urn to our fiends at UC, home of the drool drool UC TIRE WALL

I'm in for a Ridely Python !

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...4&category=704

dddddddddddddddddddUUUHHHHHH

WAS ATTEMPTING TO LAYOUT THE FORK TOTALITY AS HI TO LOW

AS

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...der=price_desc

which is waaaaay over my $$$ on cycling not caws I doahn have it I doahn need it to enjoy riding.

I'm more into tires and spare parts than ultralight.

what niche will you pursue ? fersure doanh let the salesman fit you into something you'll not want 6 (5-4-3-2) months from now.

If we total unhappy people here at RBT, CF people are near tops demowise.
Old October 15th 12, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 14 Oct, 03:05, piscesboy wrote:
I'm considering getting a road bike and considering whether to get the "standard" model or the same model with a carbon fork for $100 or so more. It's supposed to make for a more stable ride on rougher roads, but what are your conclusions/reviews/recommendations on this claim?

Depends on what is on offer, is the datndard fork good and is the
carbon fork good. Are you really getting a worthy deal by getting the
supposed better fork or is the basic bike such a piece of junk anyway
that you could get much the same for $50 and add $150 to get a top
notch fork? Will you be racing and training on the one bike or is
this more for touring or is it for posing ro drug-runniong?
Old October 15th 12, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:25:56 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
On Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:19:00 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:

EYEYEYHAHAHHAHHAHAHH,,,

once again we urn to our fiends at UC, home of the drool drool UC TIRE WALL

I'm in for a Ridely Python !

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...4&category=704

dddddddddddddddddddUUUHHHHHH

WAS ATTEMPTING TO LAYOUT THE FORK TOTALITY AS HI TO LOW

AS

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...der=price_desc

which is waaaaay over my $$$ on cycling not caws I doahn have it I doahn need it to enjoy riding.

I'm more into tires and spare parts than ultralight.

what niche will you pursue ? fersure doanh let the salesman fit you into something you'll not want 6 (5-4-3-2) months from now.

If we total unhappy people here at RBT, CF people are near tops demowise.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

ask herein

http://dir.yahoo.com/Recreation/Spor...dia/Magazines/
Old October 15th 12, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 15/10/12 10:25, datakoll wrote:

If we total unhappy people here at RBT, CF people are near tops demowise.

I don't see any data.

I am happy with my CFRP forks (CFRP blades, Al steerer).

Who is not?

--
JS

Old October 17th 12, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 13, 9:05*pm, piscesboy wrote:
I'm considering getting a road bike and considering whether to get the "standard" model or the same model with a carbon fork for $100 or so more. It's supposed to make for a more stable ride on rougher roads, but what are your conclusions/reviews/recommendations on this claim?

Did the bike shop make this claim? Because it's bull****. Get a carbon
fork if it comes with a bike you like, or if you're racing and it'll
help you drop some grams. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. For comfort,
large tires and cockpit details are far more important.
Old October 17th 12, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 10/17/2012 10:17 AM, landotter wrote:
On Oct 13, 9:05 pm, piscesboy wrote:
I'm considering getting a road bike and considering whether to get the "standard" model or the same model with a carbon fork for $100 or so more. It's supposed to make for a more stable ride on rougher roads, but what are your conclusions/reviews/recommendations on this claim?

Did the bike shop make this claim? Because it's bull****. Get a carbon
fork if it comes with a bike you like, or if you're racing and it'll
help you drop some grams. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. For comfort,
large tires and cockpit details are far more important.

You don't think that a carbon fork would be more comfortable than an
aluminum fork on the same frame with 125 psi 700 x 23c tires?
Old October 17th 12, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Oct 17, 4:56*pm, Duane Hébert wrote:
On 10/17/2012 10:17 AM, landotter wrote:

On Oct 13, 9:05 pm, piscesboy wrote:
I'm considering getting a road bike and considering whether to get the "standard" model or the same model with a carbon fork for $100 or so more. It's supposed to make for a more stable ride on rougher roads, but what are your conclusions/reviews/recommendations on this claim?

Did the bike shop make this claim? Because it's bull****. Get a carbon
fork if it comes with a bike you like, or if you're racing and it'll
help you drop some grams. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. For comfort,
large tires and cockpit details are far more important.

You don't think that a carbon fork would be more comfortable than an
aluminum fork on the same frame with 125 psi 700 x 23c tires?

No. Slightest bit of damp in a bouncy corner and the rider will still
down their shoulder more times than good. For full effect use bald
treaded tyres and radial spoking (phased alternately to the moon) and
crank 'em up for all they're worth. A 23mm wired-on tyre may be
suitable in 99% of circumstances, but how many corners does that
criterium have? If you desire a 23mm section, do your racing on
tubulars and make sure you don't skimp on the glue.