Velotrousers

Old March 16th 13, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Velotrousers

On Mar 15, 12:34 pm, landotter wrote:
I was fixing my ripped jeans when I found some snaps in the sewing basket. Why didn't I think of this before?

http://imgur.com/ThLjt4a

Very cool! Unfortunately, denim chafes my balls, and I have miles to
go before I sleep.
Old March 16th 13, 01:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...w=1152&bih=635
Old March 16th 13, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Friday, March 15, 2013 8:45:18 PM UTC-5, datakoll wrote:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/100_1400.jpg

I was thinking about a Utilikilt till a metalworking buddy got one. It's a beautiful thing--but quite heavy and cumbersome to ride in.
Old March 16th 13, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Saturday, March 16, 2013 1:41:39 AM UTC-5, Dan O wrote:
On Mar 15, 12:34 pm, landotter wrote:

I was fixing my ripped jeans when I found some snaps in the sewing basket. Why didn't I think of this before?

http://imgur.com/ThLjt4a

Very cool! Unfortunately, denim chafes my balls, and I have miles to

go before I sleep.

I've got about a fifty mile limit in jeans and clogs. My tucchusal region has become pretty tough over the years. Losing 30 pounds last year and returning to string bean form helped as well--I can ride pretty much any saddle without care--other than a Brooks... ;-)
Old March 16th 13, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/16/2013 8:17 AM, datakoll wrote:

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...w=1152&bih=635

VELCO ?

http://www.acronymfinder.com/Vermont...8VELCO%29.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 16th 13, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...ilts/Dress%20M...

I was thinking about a Utilikilt till a metalworking buddy got one. It's a beautiful thing--but quite heavy and cumbersome to ride in.

One of my biking acquaintances showed up at a recent mult-state bike
colloquium wearing a kilt. Since he rides a recumbent, it seemed a
bit scary to me!

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 16th 13, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Mar 15, 9:01*pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:34:33 -0700 (PDT), landotter

wrote:
I was fixing my ripped jeans when I found some snaps in the sewing basket. Why didn't I think of this before?
http://imgur.com/ThLjt4a

Good idea and neatly done. *However, there is some prior art of sorts:
http://www.google.com/patents/US20060230489

For me, maybe sew two button hole slots in the cuff area, and
repurpose the numerous cuff links that are rotting away in my dresser
drawer. *Rather pricey, but made for cyclists:
http://www.cufflinks.com/biccuf.html
http://www.cufflinks.com/cyclist-cufflinks.html

Or, just perforate the cuff with eyelets. *Thread a rope through the
eyelets and make a drawstring.

I use 2" safety pins.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 16th 13, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 16, 8:05 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Mar 16, 10:11 am, landotter wrote:

On Friday, March 15, 2013 8:45:18 PM UTC-5, datakoll wrote:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...ilts/Dress%20M...

I was thinking about a Utilikilt till a metalworking buddy got one. It's a beautiful thing--but quite heavy and cumbersome to ride in.

One of my biking acquaintances showed up at a recent mult-state bike
colloquium...

Colloquium can refer to:
* An academic seminar usually led by a different lecturer and on a
different topic at each meeting.
* The Parliament of Scotland, called a "colloquium" in Latin
records.
* Any musical piece celebrating birth or distribution of good
news, a hymn (antonyms: requiem, coronach).
* The part of a complaint for defamation in which the plaintiff
avers that the defamatory remarks related to him or her.

... wearing a kilt. Since he rides a recumbent, it seemed a
bit scary to me!

But was it a *purple* kilt? ;-)

(*Nothing wrong with that.)
Old March 16th 13, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 21:56:53 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Friday, March 15, 2013 9:01:45 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Or, just perforate the cuff with eyelets. Thread a rope through the
eyelets and make a drawstring.

Then you have to do something about the dangling drawstring after you've snugged the cuffs with it.

Details, details... If I arrange the drawstring so that the knot is
tied towards the outside of the leg, it is unlikely to get tangled
with the crank. I could also replace the drawstring with elastic
shock cord, but that would look strange when not riding the bicycle.
My ski jacket has a pocket on the inside of the jacket for hiding the
dangling drawstring. Or, I could soak the drawstring in some alcohol,
and ignite the ends while riding. That would make a good substitute
for the traditional reflectors and inspire me to ride faster. I could
also use a clothes pin to secure the dangling ends.

Incidentally, replace the cuff links with some small round reflectors
or red LED lights.

Much as I like the snaps idea, I'm still partial to tucking my pant
legs under my socks. It doesn't work well for heavy jeans, but good
enough for thinner cloth. I've also used a large paper clamp from my
office desk:
http://www.dassservices.com/hdfc//images/stationary_products/30-paper-clamp.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 16th 13, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Hockey socks keep the entire pant leg tucked in. LOL VBG

I too just tuck my pant legs into normal length socks.

I have a cycling jacket that had a closed loop drawstring on either side of the jacket. The loops dangled at the exact height needed for them to encircle the end of the stairwell handrail after I'd gone down two or three steps. That's jerk me back and was not nice when carrying the bicycle. I cut each loop in two and made a knot at each end. Long loops aren't good things around bicycles.

Cheers