A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Fenders/Mud Guards

Old December 27th 12, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default Fenders/Mud Guards

Might as well start a dedicated thread about them.

Fenders like many other things have advantages and disadvantages. Also like many other things some people love tem whilst others detest them with a passion.

Fenders can be nice for keeping road spray off you on an otherwise warm day.. I had a bike fender capable but no fenders mounted and rode through along stretch of standing water early one morning. The day was nice but that standing water was frigid.

Other times I used to commute home alomg Rosedale Valley Road to Bayview Avenue then along Bayview Avenue up to River Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Many times when it was raining heavilly Bayview Avenue would be completely flooded from Rosedale Valley Road to part way up the ramp to River Street. The water would be nearly waist high in one area even when sitting on the addle of a 22.5" bike frame. On days and evenings like that I wore a rubberized rain suit. It didn't matter if I had fenders or not as that rainsuit kept all the water off of me anyway.

One thing about fenders and a reason why some people detest them, especially full fenders, is that it makes it much hardr to fit a bicycle in the trunck or rear passenger compartment of many of todays cars.

Some people don't mind road spray at all. Others want to try and stay dry and spotless. I have read reports that claim full fenders keep a lot of crud off a bicycle. Some people find it easier and quicker to spray wash abike that does not have fenders as they don't have to try and was the crud off the underside of the fenders.

Once again we have an item that is a matter of personal preference and there is nothing wrong with using them or not using them.

Cheers
Ads
Old December 27th 12, 09:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]
external usenet poster

Op donderdag 27 december 2012 04:47:01 UTC+1 schreef Sir Ridesalot het volgende:
Might as well start a dedicated thread about them. Fenders like many other things have advantages and disadvantages. Also like many other things some people love tem whilst others detest them with a passion. Fenders can be nice for keeping road spray off you on an otherwise warm day. I had a bike fender capable but no fenders mounted and rode through along stretch of standing water early one morning. The day was nice but that standing water was frigid. Other times I used to commute home alomg Rosedale Valley Road to Bayview Avenue then along Bayview Avenue up to River Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Many times when it was raining heavilly Bayview Avenue would be completely flooded from Rosedale Valley Road to part way up the ramp to River Street. The water would be nearly waist high in one area even when sitting on the addle of a 22.5" bike frame. On days and evenings like that I wore a rubberized rain suit. It didn't matter if I had fenders or not as that rainsuit kept all the water off of me anyway. One thing about fenders and a reason why some people detest them, especially full fenders, is that it makes it much hardr to fit a bicycle in the trunck or rear passenger compartment of many of todays cars. Some people don't mind road spray at all. Others want to try and stay dry and spotless. I have read reports that claim full fenders keep a lot of crud off a bicycle. Some people find it easier and quicker to spray wash abike that does not have fenders as they don't have to try and was the crud off the underside of the fenders. Once again we have an item that is a matter of personal preference and there is nothing wrong with using them or not using them. Cheers

Exactly. The problem with Frank is that he does only know one kind of riding and has only one mindset. I'm not denying the virtues fenders can have, heck I have 2 full fendered bikes myself but judging someone who chooses a bike with no fenders as a victim of fashion or a incompetent bikeshop is narrow minded.

Many of my collegues have bikes with a full chaincase. I hate full chaincases even on my fendered bikes. Why? Because they limit the access to my chain to clean and lube (even with a full chaincase you have to do that once in a while) and makes removing the rear wheel a PIA in case of a flat. Am a a fashion victim?

Lou
Old December 27th 12, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy M-S
external usenet poster

One thing about fenders and a reason why some people detest them, especially full fenders, is that it makes it much hardr to fit a bicycle in the trunck or rear passenger compartment of many of todays cars.

The car issue was an issue for me, until I realized that I very seldom carried my bike in my car (in fact, with my current car, I CAN'T--VW Beetle Y2K). A Saris rack fixed the problem for those rare occasions when I can't "ride to the ride."

Another fender-related note: I was recently at a coffee shop and another commuter came in, after inspecting my bike near the window. He told me he was surprised at how clean my bike was. I guess that's another thing in favor of fenders.

But it's no big deal. All bikes are good--fenders or not.
Old December 27th 12, 12:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll
external usenet poster

SPIN THE LATHE, IGNORE THE CHAIN CASE...?

dillitante.

IGOR, BRING THE BRANDING IRON !
Old December 27th 12, 12:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ningi[_2_]
external usenet poster

On 27/12/2012 11:23, Andy M-S wrote:

The car issue was an issue for me, until I realized that I very seldom carried my bike in my car (in fact, with my current car, I CAN'T--VW Beetle Y2K). A Saris rack fixed the problem for those rare occasions when I can't "ride to the ride."

Another fender-related note: I was recently at a coffee shop and another commuter came in, after inspecting my bike near the window. He told me he was surprised at how clean my bike was. I guess that's another thing in favor of fenders.

But it's no big deal. All bikes are good--fenders or not.

Fenders (mudguards) also keep the crud off the people riding behind you
in a group which is why they used to often be mandatory on British club
rides. I wouldn't mind a return to this for winter riding.

Pete

Old December 27th 12, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman
external usenet poster

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 12:34:52 +0000, Ningi wrote:

snip

Pete

That's not the case. Road splash follows along the tangent of the rear
wheel. Full rear fenders cover only half the circumference of the rear
wheel - the top half. That leaves 1/4 of the wheel circumference
uncovered and in line to splash the rear rider (the bottom and rear
quadrant).

There is a definite plus for the rear rider being splashed while riding
in a peleton. The placement of the splash on one's leg, is the quickest
way to determine whether one is keeping a constant distance from the
rider in front. If that splash moves up your leg then you are getting
closer to your leader. Likewise, if the splash moves downward, then you
are in danger of losing contact.

Steve
Old December 27th 12, 01:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 12/27/2012 6:22 AM, datakoll wrote:
SPIN THE LATHE, IGNORE THE CHAIN CASE...?

dillitante.

IGOR, BRING THE BRANDING IRON !

Branding on human flesh:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/TIMBURN2.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old December 27th 12, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ningi[_2_]
external usenet poster

On 27/12/2012 13:01, Stephen Bauman wrote:
On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 12:34:52 +0000, Ningi wrote:

snip

Pete

That's not the case. Road splash follows along the tangent of the rear
wheel. Full rear fenders cover only half the circumference of the rear
wheel - the top half. That leaves 1/4 of the wheel circumference
uncovered and in line to splash the rear rider (the bottom and rear
quadrant).

Exactly. Without mudguards you are more likely to get a face full of
crud, rather than a leg full of crud. I am much less bothered about the
second one.

There is a definite plus for the rear rider being splashed while riding
in a peleton. The placement of the splash on one's leg, is the quickest
way to determine whether one is keeping a constant distance from the
rider in front. If that splash moves up your leg then you are getting
closer to your leader. Likewise, if the splash moves downward, then you
are in danger of losing contact.

Steve

My preferred constant distance is far enough back that I don't get
covered in crud. YMMV.

Pete

Old December 27th 12, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll
external usenet poster

eyehahaa observnat ! is what led to the $2 CR guard. The 3 grams silica immediately adhereing to a clean chain pondered pondered the source was bottom front tire shooting a particle stream back to the CR's bottom half....thus a n arrow shield solves the prob...not 5 pounds sheet metal armor.

a front fender protects from the ineveitable 360 degree spraying of mist: water, cow and sheep dung, dog excrement, unvolatile hydrocarbons, amalgamated bur and insect remains, staph aureus colonies, agricultural poisons....gack gack

but the rear ? rear keeps front deray and rider back dry....useless.

prob is clay soils. water and clay soils plus excretia equals fenders.