"Do not feed the dinosaur! Ride a bike!"

Old February 15th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default "Do not feed the dinosaur! Ride a bike!"

That's the new T-shirt of a series that could change the world. Well,
first you gotta know who the dinosaur is, but I can tell you he's BIG,
STUPID and REFUSES TO EVOLVE. He may look like this...

http://animals.timduru.org/dirlist/d...nii-Illust.jpg

Or he may look like this...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...Den%26sa %3DN

In any case, you may have decided you had it with the stupid beast,
and you've decided to give a chance to the smart and small, just like
a bike. "Do not feed the dinosaur" seems like a good start.

(T-shirt is at bottom)

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Or you may decide to buy something like a Jetta TDI, but I don't have
a license to sell VW products.

"So you get all the attributes of a commercial truck, but you don't
need a commercial driver's license to drive it.

The legendary International © DT 466 diesel engine provides up to 6
tons of hauling power. The air-ride cab and seats provide an
exceptionally smooth ride. And a spacious and well-appointed interior
ensures automotive-like comfort and convenience. The result of more
than a century of leadership in the truck market, the International
7300 CXT delivers performance. In a big way"

Update to Post Aug 11, 2005
When I initially posted about the biggest suv I owned a Yukon Denali.
After 5 months my wife and I couldn't stand it any longer and decided
to replace it. We ended up bying a diesel powered vehicle but not the
International CXT. Instead we purchased a 2005 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
powered by a 1.9 liter TDI [turbo diesel]. We love it. Going from 13
mpg in the city to 36 mpg in the city is amazing and Shannon can
actually park it. We do miss some of the room we had in the Yukon but
it's totally worth it and I know Shannon would agree. So I'm sorry to
disappoint those of you that thought I love gas guzzling oversized
bloated suvs, I'm really a penny-pincher at heart."

Old February 16th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Mike A Schwab

On Feb 15, 9:20 am, "donquijote1954"
wrote:
That's the new T-shirt of a series that could change the world. Well,
first you gotta know who the dinosaur is, but I can tell you he's BIG,
STUPID and REFUSES TO EVOLVE. He may look like this...

[delete]
How about some cartoon dinos?
http://www.roadkillbill.com/
http://www.roadkillbill.com/G-page.html and click on the 1st part.
Dinos begin on page 2. Set in Minneapolis.

http://www.roadkillbill.com/r80.html CM Kids

Old February 16th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default traffic jams are reaching a boiling point

On Feb 15, 9:06 pm, "Mike A Schwab" wrote:
On Feb 15, 9:20 am, "donquijote1954"
wrote: That's the new T-shirt of a series that could change the world. Well,

How about some cartoon dinos?http://www.roadkillbill.com/http://w...G-page.htmland click on the 1st part.
Dinos begin on page 2. Set in Minneapolis.

http://www.roadkillbill.com/r80.htmlCM Kids

Very interesting. I took the freedom (what a sweet word) to reproduce
this...

Carfree Success Stories
The carfree movement faces huge challenges. Despite climbing gas
prices, daily confirmations of climate change, and the precarious
global petro-political situation, car use continues to reach record
high levels. The world's most profitable corporation is ExxonMobil,
which recently became the first company ever to generate US$1 billion
a day. It seems as if now that people have accepted the reality of
finite oil supplies, paradoxically they are going on a binge to use up
all they can while it's still available.
Car industries spend billions on advertising every year. In
addition to its impact on the mental environment, the clout of car-
related ad expenditures skews editorial content of the media in which
they appear. After all, most media outlets are for-profit businesses
which are reluctant to bite the hand that feeds them by casting a
critical eye on car culture. The glamourisation of automobiles in
popular entertainment continues unabated.
Leaders of industrialised nations are beholden to automobile
interests, whether as payback for campaign contributions or simply out
of the common perception that car manufacture and use are key indices
of economic health. Politicians fear any deviation from the status
quo.
But the good news is the facts are on our side and an ounce of
truth trumps a tonne of lies. Given the choice, most people opt for
carfree experiences: speedy tram trips, vacations in Venice, strolls
to local markets, and public gathering places free from motor
vehicles. The challenge then is to promote existing carfree otions and
to create new ones.
The success stories in this issue (not online) are not intended as
a comprehensive survey of tactics, but are presented to demonstrate
how a variety of strategies at various scales can effect positive
change. We hope they'll inspire you take action where you can.

***

The good news also is that traffic jams are reaching a boiling point,
and overheating is in the horizon...

Traffic congestion in the United States

On Fridays in California, Interstate 5 is often congested as Los
Angeles residents travel north for the weekendIn the United States,
construction of new highway capacity has not kept pace with increases
in population and car use and the resulting increase in demand for
highway travel. Between 1980 and 1999, the total length of highways as
measured by miles increased by only 1.5 percent, while the total
number of miles of vehicle travel increased by 76 percent.

The Texas Transportation Institute estimates that in 2000 the 75
largest metropolitan areas experienced 3.6 billion vehicle-hours of
delay, resulting in 5.7 billion US gallons (21.6 billion liters) in
wasted fuel and $67.5 billion in lost productivity, or about 0.7% of
the nation's GDP. It also estimates that the annual cost of congestion
for each driver is approximately $1,000 in very large cities and $200
in small cities. Traffic congestion is increasing in major cities, and
delays are becoming more frequent in smaller cities and rural areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_congestion

Old February 16th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default "Put the dinosaur on a diet: Ride Public Transportation!"

On Feb 15, 9:06 pm, "Mike A Schwab" wrote:
On Feb 15, 9:20 am, "donquijote1954"
wrote: That's the new T-shirt of a series that could change the world. Well,
first you gotta know who the dinosaur is, but I can tell you he's BIG,
STUPID and REFUSES TO EVOLVE. He may look like this...

[delete]
How about some cartoon dinos?http://www.roadkillbill.com/http://w...G-page.htmland click on the 1st part.
Dinos begin on page 2. Set in Minneapolis.

http://www.roadkillbill.com/r80.htmlCM Kids

This is a variation of the bike shirt. After all, there are many ways
not to feed the dinosaur...

http://www.zazzle.com/product/235622859773439204

Old February 17th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Jack May

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
ps.com...
But the good news is the facts are on our side and an ounce of
truth trumps a tonne of lies. Given the choice, most people opt for
carfree experiences: speedy tram trips, vacations in Venice, strolls
to local markets, and public gathering places free from motor
vehicles. The challenge then is to promote existing carfree otions and
to create new ones.

You really should wait to until you come down from you drug high before
posting insane gibberish

Old February 17th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default cars get the lion's share

On Feb 16, 9:23 pm, "Jack May" wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message

ps.com...

But the good news is the facts are on our side and an ounce of
truth trumps a tonne of lies. Given the choice, most people opt for
carfree experiences: speedy tram trips, vacations in Venice, strolls
to local markets, and public gathering places free from motor
vehicles. The challenge then is to promote existing carfree otions and
to create new ones.

You really should wait to until you come down from you drug high before
posting insane gibberish

You forget two important words: GIVEN THE CHOICE. People often do none
of the above because they don't have a choice. Same thing for riding a
bike...

"The culture is so geared to motor vehicles, it's oppressive," says
Craig Barnes, events coordinator of Transportation Alternatives, the
nonprofit group that organizes Bike Week, with sponsorship from the
city's Department of Transportation. "It's a real catch-22. People say
they'd bike if they saw more infrastructure, like bike lanes, parking,
traffic law enforcement, but city planners and politicians say they
won't give more until they see a need for it. Who's going to make the
first move? We try to link these two things."

You know, cars get the lion's share...

"The skew to cars, despite their disadvantages, is so profound,
politicians and bureaucrats spend entire careers simultaneously trying
to accommodate and tame traffic."

http://www.transalt.org/press/media/...0509voice.html

Old February 17th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

And hence we have a health problem linked to heart disease because people
would rather look like blimps than fight the gov't.
Never mind how many bikers die on the road. What about the no. 1 killer
which would not have happened if we were not this car centric.

Old February 17th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dave Head

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:32:33 GMT, "nash" wrote:

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Two wheels?

I got up and looked at my brand new Radio Shack indoor-outdoor thermometer this
morning, the bottom screen read 72.5 degrees, and the top one read 12.8
degrees.

Now, the damn driveway is a glare of ice, which is negotiated OK by my AWD
Subaru WRX. The roadways are _mostly_ clear of ice, but not parking lots - I
damn near sprained something in the movie parking lot last night after seeing
"Breach".

2 wheeled vehicle? Not on your life. I'd be having to buy a casket, mine. And
short of that, there's frostbite.

Face it, a car is an all-weather solution, or as close as you can get to one
for moving around locally. Even the damn DC Metro, the closes transit to which
I _still_ don't have access, stops when there's a lotta snow. They don't even
try - the snow shorts out the 3rd rail. So much for the exhaulted electric
trains. If they woulda just kept 'em in tunnels, I guess...

Dave Head
Old February 17th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Matthew T. Russotto

In article 5THBh.1017168$1T2.992073@pd7urf2no,
nash wrote:

And hence we have a health problem linked to heart disease because people
would rather look like blimps than fight the gov't.
Never mind how many bikers die on the road. What about the no. 1 killer
which would not have happened if we were not this car centric.

You want to ride your bike in 20 degree temperatures and 20 mile an
hour winds with ice and salty slushy crap all over the roads, you be
my guest. I'll stick with the car; heart disease is the least of my
worries under those conditions.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old February 18th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

You want to ride your bike in 20 degree temperatures and 20 mile an
hour winds with ice and salty slushy crap all over the roads, you be
my guest. I'll stick with the car; heart disease is the least of my
worries under those conditions.
-- ,

I do not think we get heart disease from driving or taking transit in foul
weather. I am talking about over the years 99% of the time drivers could
have walked to the corner grocery and not taken a humvee.
Gov'ts do not want you healthy anyway. It is too lucrative for all the
scientists and car manufacturers, nurses, doctors, and police.