Sore thumb joints - anyone else?

Old July 12th 05, 08:06 PM
Peewiglet

Default Sore thumb joints - anyone else?

I've noticed that both of my thumb joints are really quite sore. I'm
hoping that it's been caused by all the cycling I've been doing lately
i.e. wrapping my thumbs round the underneath of the handlebars, rather
than some sort of arthritis. Has anyone else experienced this?

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old July 12th 05, 08:50 PM
Dan Gregory

Peewiglet wrote:
I've noticed that both of my thumb joints are really quite sore. I'm
hoping that it's been caused by all the cycling I've been doing lately
i.e. wrapping my thumbs round the underneath of the handlebars, rather
than some sort of arthritis. Has anyone else experienced this?

Don't wrap your thumbs underneath the bars. Rest them on the top. It
makes a more relaxed position anyway and your fingers will be strong
enough to cope with emergencies.
All the best
Dan Gregory
Old July 12th 05, 08:58 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Peewiglet wrote:

I've noticed that both of my thumb joints are really quite sore. I'm
hoping that it's been caused by all the cycling I've been doing lately
i.e. wrapping my thumbs round the underneath of the handlebars, rather
than some sort of arthritis. Has anyone else experienced this?

Mitts do that to me, which is why I don't wear them.
Old July 12th 05, 11:20 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Peewiglet
') wrote:

I've noticed that both of my thumb joints are really quite sore. I'm
hoping that it's been caused by all the cycling I've been doing lately
i.e. wrapping my thumbs round the underneath of the handlebars, rather
than some sort of arthritis. Has anyone else experienced this?

Are your hands too small for your brake levers? Brake levers are usually
adjustable for reach, but continually stretching for them can cause this
sort of problem. Adjust them (or get your LBS to adjust them) to give
you more comfortable reach.

;; "If I were a Microsoft Public Relations person, I would probably
;; be sobbing on a desk right now" -- Rob Miller, editor, /.

Old July 13th 05, 06:25 AM
Tony Raven

Peewiglet wrote:
I've noticed that both of my thumb joints are really quite sore. I'm
hoping that it's been caused by all the cycling I've been doing lately
i.e. wrapping my thumbs round the underneath of the handlebars, rather
than some sort of arthritis. Has anyone else experienced this?

Try not wrapping your thumb round the bar but rest you palms on top of
the bars with your thumbs pointing down. There's no need to grip the
bars even off-road and the bike handles better if you don't.

--
Tony

Anon
Old July 13th 05, 07:27 AM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:06:55 +0100, Peewiglet
wrote:

I've noticed that both of my thumb joints are really quite sore. I'm
hoping that it's been caused by all the cycling I've been doing lately
i.e. wrapping my thumbs round the underneath of the handlebars, rather
than some sort of arthritis. Has anyone else experienced this?

Best wishes,

Cycling-related Sore thumb joints have been a constant feature of my
life for about 2 weeks, since I did battle with a pair of Conti sport
contacts and a pair of Mavic 519's. My God, what a fight!

Old July 13th 05, 10:42 AM
dkahn400

Peewiglet wrote:
I've noticed that both of my thumb joints are really quite sore.
I'm hoping that it's been caused by all the cycling I've been
doing lately i.e. wrapping my thumbs round the underneath of the
handlebars, rather than some sort of arthritis. Has anyone else
experienced this?

Take a long critical look at your grip on the bars. Which part of your
thumb is making contact? It should be the fleshy part immediately below
the joint. If you put the tip of the forefinger of your other hand on
this part, then bend your thumb, the top joint should come down to
touch your forefinger and be in line with it. If the pressure is coming
on the side of your thumb then you are stressing the joint in a way it
was not designed for, and setting yourself up for chronic problems.

Another test is to hold your thumb in the other hand and push hard
against the point that makes contact with the bars. You should be able
to resist the push comfortably. If it feels as though you are doing
ju-jitsu on yourself then you are gripping the bars badly. If this is
the case you may need to look at the position of the bars, or even the
type of bars you are using, to enable you to get a more ergonomic grip.
You could also try gripping the bars more loosely, or even gripping
them just with the fingers and resting your thumbs on top except when
on the bumpiest terrain.

--
Dave...

Old July 16th 05, 10:17 PM
Peewiglet

Many thanks to all who replied for the advice on this. I'm trying to
remember to keep my thumbs resting on the handlebars at the moment, to
see whether that makes a difference.

Thanks again.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old July 16th 05, 10:17 PM
Peewiglet

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:20:53 +0100, Simon Brooke
wrote:

Are your hands too small for your brake levers? Brake levers are usually
adjustable for reach, but continually stretching for them can cause this
sort of problem. Adjust them (or get your LBS to adjust them) to give
you more comfortable reach.

I'll look into that - thanks.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

SLOP on a campy record 8sp der!! can this be fixed? & thumb buttons? CLKarr Techniques 4 September 23rd 04 05:24 AM
how to fix seat to accomodate sore butt Dora Smith General 7 August 17th 04 05:32 PM
how to fix seat to accomodate sore butt Dora Smith Techniques 12 August 17th 04 05:32 PM
Sore Knees... McViegh Australia 8 May 2nd 04 08:33 PM
Saddle Sore Question Brandon Sullivan General 4 December 13th 03 09:53 PM