Shipping Bike to France

Old February 11th 08, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor[_2_]

Default Shipping Bike to France

Has anyone shipped a bike to France and if so can you recommend any
companies? How much did it cost?

I have £206 from TNT which is twice the cost of the bike.

Old February 11th 08, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
citizen142[_2_]

Dont know the details of course or where you want to ship it to in
France but this time of year you can get a Ryanair flight for a song
and pay the £15 to take it on the plane and I'm sure it wouldn't come
to £206. Just a thought.

. com...

Old February 11th 08, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor[_2_]

I'm going on a £10 each way (Stansted to Perpignan) flight in 2 weeks time.
It seems a lot of hassle carrying it on a train from Yorkshire to Kings
Cross then the underground then the Stansted Express. I can't imagine where
on a train you would put it. The would it go in the smallest hire car I have
hired? Do you book them online or just turn up at the check in desk?

Old February 11th 08, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Hearns[_2_]

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 20:34 +0000, Trevor wrote:
I'm going on a 10 each way (Stansted to Perpignan) flight in 2 weeks time.
It seems a lot of hassle carrying it on a train from Yorkshire to Kings
Cross then the underground then the Stansted Express.

Just to cheer you up, as I recall bikes are not allowed on the Stansted
Express - but you should be OK with a bike bag.
http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=394

Are there no direct coach services to Stansted? Surely a bike in a bike
bag would travel happily in the hold of a coach.

Old February 11th 08, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:34:20 -0000, "Trevor"
wrote:

I'm going on a £10 each way (Stansted to Perpignan) flight in 2 weeks time.
It seems a lot of hassle carrying it on a train from Yorkshire to Kings
Cross then the underground then the Stansted Express. I can't imagine where
on a train you would put it. The would it go in the smallest hire car I have
hired? Do you book them online or just turn up at the check in desk?

King's Cross to Liverpool Street is no distance. 15 mins cycle ride
max, provided you can strap your bag to your bike.
Old February 11th 08, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor[_2_]

wrote:

I'm going on a £10 each way (Stansted to Perpignan) flight in 2 weeks
time.
It seems a lot of hassle carrying it on a train from Yorkshire to Kings
Cross then the underground then the Stansted Express. I can't imagine
where
on a train you would put it. The would it go in the smallest hire car I
have
hired? Do you book them online or just turn up at the check in desk?

King's Cross to Liverpool Street is no distance. 15 mins cycle ride
max, provided you can strap your bag to your bike.

Yeh but the biked will be packed in a box ready for the flight

Old February 11th 08, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:27:15 -0000, "Trevor"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I'm going on a £10 each way (Stansted to Perpignan) flight in 2 weeks
time.
It seems a lot of hassle carrying it on a train from Yorkshire to Kings
Cross then the underground then the Stansted Express. I can't imagine
where
on a train you would put it. The would it go in the smallest hire car I
have
hired? Do you book them online or just turn up at the check in desk?

King's Cross to Liverpool Street is no distance. 15 mins cycle ride
max, provided you can strap your bag to your bike.

Yeh but the biked will be packed in a box ready for the flight

In that case, with a distance of about 2 miles, I suggest a black cab.
The cost will be close to the cost of your flight, but I can't see it
being easy to take the bike and your bags on the tube.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/...axis/1140.aspx
Old February 12th 08, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
citizen142[_2_]

Trevor it is a trip that I do twice a year. In the past I have
traveled from South Wales to Stansted then to Perpignan. The truth is
it easier to travel from - Doncaster, East Midlands or indeed any
flight that goes to Girona in Spain. If you have taken your bike
re-assemble it and ride not to Girona but (check this name out on the
Spanish Rail site) Ruidallotts which is only 2 miles away. Get a
ticket to Port Bou (about 3.5 euros) or if you catch the right train
some go under the tunnel to Cebere in France. From there you can catch
a train to Perpignan or indeed ride into Perpignan. Alternatively
spend a night he

http://www.hotelmargarit.com/website/eng/tarifes.asp

and enjoy the 40 mile ride over the border to France.

e-mail me for more info if you wish.

. com...

Old February 12th 08, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor[_2_]

My bags will amount to a small day sac (35 law) rucsac

Old February 12th 08, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Leighton

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:04:05 +0000, John Hearns wrote:
On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 20:34 +0000, Trevor wrote:
I'm going on a 10 each way (Stansted to Perpignan) flight in 2 weeks time.
It seems a lot of hassle carrying it on a train from Yorkshire to Kings
Cross then the underground then the Stansted Express.

Just to cheer you up, as I recall bikes are not allowed on the Stansted
Express - but you should be OK with a bike bag.
http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=394

Are there no direct coach services to Stansted? Surely a bike in a bike
bag would travel happily in the hold of a coach.

Maybe it might be better changing at Peterborough and getting the train
down to Stanstead. That certainly does allow bikes - although I haven't
seen them go all the way to Stanstead.

--
Andy Leighton =
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_