Derailleur hanger

Old October 27th 03, 02:26 PM
Colin Blackburn

Default Derailleur hanger

I have an old bike with 5-speed SIS mech. The frame doesn't have a
derailleur hanger, instead the SIS derailleur has its own hanger attached
and just bolts into the rear drop-outs. Is is possible to get one of these
little hanger doobries onto which I can attach a derailleur would normally
attach to the frame's hanger? If so do they have a name?

Colin
Old October 27th 03, 02:37 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:32:02 -0000, Frank X wrote:

Aluminium frames use replaceable dropouts.

Here are some pictures.

http://www.betd.co.uk/website/DROPOUTS.HTM

Cheers. Shows how many aluminium bikes I have! So, all I need to do now is
work out which one I need.

Colin
Old October 27th 03, 03:30 PM
Richard Bates

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:37:14 -0000, Colin Blackburn
in
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:32:02 -0000, Frank X wrote:

Aluminium frames use replaceable dropouts.

Here are some pictures.

http://www.betd.co.uk/website/DROPOUTS.HTM

Cheers. Shows how many aluminium bikes I have! So, all I need to do now is
work out which one I need.

Colin

You need the one that comes "free" with a cheapo 5 speed SIS from
Halfords. It was years ago when I bought one but it did indeed come
with a bracket such as you describe. Buying the whole mech may well be
less than paying for a CNC'd part ??

Love and thoughts from Rich x

--
"Netiquette" states that
a signature should be
Old October 27th 03, 03:39 PM
Peter Amey

Colin Blackburn wrote:

I have an old bike with 5-speed SIS mech. The frame doesn't have a
derailleur hanger, instead the SIS derailleur has its own hanger
attached and just bolts into the rear drop-outs. Is is possible to get
one of these little hanger doobries onto which I can attach a derailleur
would normally attach to the frame's hanger? If so do they have a name?

Colin

There is a Shimano part which is exactly like the top part of the SIS
changer but has a threaded hole for mounting a more expensive changer.
Your LBS will deny all knowledge but press them to ring the Shimano
importer (who's name escapes me). They are about £2.70.

(Special footnote for Colin: I know this because I have just bought one
to upgrade the Dutch Speed Bike from SIS to Deore).

Peter

Old October 27th 03, 03:44 PM
Richard Bates

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:39:58 +0000, Peter Amey
in
wrote:

Your LBS will deny all knowledge but press them to ring the Shimano
importer (who's name escapes me). They are about £2.70.

Madison
--
"Netiquette" states that
a signature should be
Old October 27th 03, 03:46 PM
Richard Bates

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:30:26 +0000, Richard Bates
SPAM.TRAP.put.only.the.word.richard.before.the.at
in wrote:
You need the one that comes "free" with a cheapo 5 speed SIS from

Actually, it might have been from the "tourney" mech. But it's equally
as cheap (if it isn't the same).

If anybody understands what I have said, please explain it to me ;-)

--
"Netiquette" states that
a signature should be
Old October 27th 03, 03:49 PM
Colin Blackburn

wrote:

There is a Shimano part which is exactly like the top part of the SIS
changer but has a threaded hole for mounting a more expensive changer.
Your LBS will deny all knowledge but press them to ring the Shimano
importer (who's name escapes me). They are about £2.70.

Thanks. I will be visiting my LBS later this week. He is already trying to
obtain several knowledge-denied products from various importers!

(Special footnote for Colin: I know this because I have just bought one
to upgrade the Dutch Speed Bike from SIS to Deore).

Yes, almost there now. I knew I should have taken the easy route rather
than trying to switch various bits between three bicycles.

Colin
Old October 27th 03, 04:19 PM
Peter Amey

wrote:

There is a Shimano part which is exactly like the top part of the SIS
changer but has a threaded hole for mounting a more expensive changer.
Your LBS will deny all knowledge but press them to ring the Shimano
importer (who's name escapes me). They are about £2.70.

Thanks. I will be visiting my LBS later this week. He is already trying
to obtain several knowledge-denied products from various importers!

See also the "adaptor claw" on
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html
which is exactly what the thing I bought looks like.

Peter

Old October 28th 03, 06:34 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Colin Blackburn wrote:

I have an old bike with 5-speed SIS mech. The frame doesn't have a
derailleur hanger, instead the SIS derailleur has its own hanger
attached and just bolts into the rear drop-outs. Is is possible to get
one of these little hanger doobries onto which I can attach a derailleur
would normally attach to the frame's hanger? If so do they have a name?

I had "proper" dropouts brazed on. Didn't cost much, but now I'm
converting the bike to fixed so the hanger will be a useless appendage.