Government Bicycle Program News

Old June 28th 20, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Government Bicycle Program News

On 6/27/2020 6:53 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 16:16:33 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

What part do you object to? Like it or not, I have a reputation for
competence. Village cops know me. Many village and city residents know
of me. I've been the subject of several articles and interviews in local
media. I've served on quite a few relevant committees, taught classes,
written articles, etc.

Does all that offend you?

Oh My God! We hadn't been advised that you were such a famous person.

Sorry if it bothers you, John. But after decades of work on local bike
issues, I'm well known in the area. I'm fairly well known at the state
level as well.

FWIW, Jay is also pretty well known, but IIRC it's for significant
bicycle legal work he did decades ago. I don't know if he's been active
in these issues since.

How interesting, though, that "no good deed goes unpunished." Even by
fellow cyclists.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 28th 20, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/27/2020 7:13 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, 27 June 2020 18:53:25 UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 16:16:33 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/27/2020 11:06 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 12:56:20 AM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Frank ever asked yourself why you provoke this kind of posts again and again?
From another thread:

'I hadn't noticed that not far behind him was one of our village cops!
I'm sure he saw the whole thing, and I'm sure it enhanced my reputation
for competence.'

Geezz....

What part do you object to? Like it or not, I have a reputation for
competence. Village cops know me. Many village and city residents know
of me. I've been the subject of several articles and interviews in local
media. I've served on quite a few relevant committees, taught classes,
written articles, etc.

Does all that offend you?

Oh My God! We hadn't been advised that you were such a famous person.

Thank you for letting us know so we can, from now on, treat you in the
manner in which you have been accustomed.

Will a simple inclination of the head be sufficient or will we have to
be on one knee in order to kiss the ring?
--
cheers,

John B.

He's omnipotent too. After all he can tell from Ohio what drivers in Ontario Canada will or will not do in a given situation and then will mock you if you bail onto the shoulder of the road to avoid being run down from behind by a transport truck. He'll call you a scardy cat and say you shouldn't be riding on the road. He can also see whether or not your head would hit the pavement in a high speed crash if you are wearing a helmet. His stance is that if you weren't wearing the helmet your head would not have hit the pavement.

I could look up the relevant posts but I'm not going to bother just to argue with a Troll.

Sir, you're doing what Scharf does. You're re-writing an old argument so
you can pretend you won. I never said what you implied above.

If you want a more accurate version of what I really said about both
your truck incident and head hitting, I can tell you. Or you can look it
up yourself to try to prove me wrong.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 28th 20, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/27/2020 7:10 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 1:55:48 PM UTC-7, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:

When I cycle to the nearby bathing lake, I wear something different than
when I drive a few broken roof tiles to the garbage dump and again
something else when I ride to the opera on the utility bike. On sunny
summer days, I see young girls in airy summer dresses driving by on
their bikes. From time to time, a teenager rides here for sports, in a
judo suit, by bicycle. Same with football clothing.

We wear tweed. http://tweedpdx.net/ Or nothing at all.

If I rode to the opera in a suit, I'd have to do 500 feet of climbing to get home -- in a suit. Just riding a few miles in my work clothes to run errands at lunch or go to the doctor, I get back to the office, and I'm a sweaty wreck or rain soaked. I had one job where I rode to work in my nice slacks, and I wore holes in them. Waste of good slacks. I wear normal clothes to run over to the store, assuming I don't walk or drive. But anything more than three or four miles, I wear cycling clothes.

That's fine. I've done 20 miles in ordinary clothes many times, but I'll
usually use bike shorts, at least, if it's longer than 10 miles.
The bike you made fun of ("looks like a dumpster find") by looking at a
photo taken in autumn 2007 didn't have a hub generator then, because
head- and taillight where driven by a lead/acid battery, so the bottle
dynamo just served as a somewhat unreliable backup.

Wow, you were really hurt. I'm sorry. If somebody told me my commuter looked like POS. I'd just go "meh" and not be emotionally upset.

But why say such a thing in the first place? And how ironic that you did
that, while claiming I'm the elitist or intolerant one.

On one hand, not all cyclists are equally competent, or dedicated, or
safe, or skilled, or fast, or stylish, or practical, or young or
whatever. We should be able to discuss those differences.

But we shouldn't feel a need to insult people for those differences.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 28th 20, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/27/2020 7:20 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 2:06:57 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 11:56:04 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

Just the other day, one of our members showed up on his $10K carbon fiber racing bike with step in pedals -- wearing all lycra and a garish jersey -- and his handlebars were on backwards! I had to fix that for him. Pfff. I am astounded by these sport cyclists.

-- Jay Beattie.

Handlebars on backwards? Please provide some more details. Did he have the bars on so the ends were pointed toward the front wheel, but still have the tops on top, and the hooks on the bottom? Just turn the bars 180 degrees left to right.

It was a riff on Franks numerous comments about his mechanically incompetent club cohorts. But in my imagination, they were backwards and upside down.

I guess I should apologize for fixing other people's bikes? Maybe I
should try to quit that? (I'm off to a good start. I haven't fixed one
for almost 24 hours.)

It's a fact that this is a discussion group purportedly about bike
technology. I think most here are far better than average bike
mechanics. Am I really not supposed to allude to that fact?

(Ask about what I fixed yesterday. You'll love the answer.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 28th 20, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 15:55:33 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 6/27/2020 3:53 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

Oh My God! We hadn't been advised that you were such a famous person.

Thank you for letting us know so we can, from now on, treat you in the
manner in which you have been accustomed.

Will a simple inclination of the head be sufficient or will we have to
be on one knee in order to kiss the ring?

Well you could at least address him as "your majesty."

I had assumed that "Your Eminence" was the correct address, but
perhaps "Majesty"? If he really is really majestic?

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 28th 20, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 19:53:11 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/27/2020 6:53 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 16:16:33 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

What part do you object to? Like it or not, I have a reputation for
competence. Village cops know me. Many village and city residents know
of me. I've been the subject of several articles and interviews in local
media. I've served on quite a few relevant committees, taught classes,
written articles, etc.

Does all that offend you?

Oh My God! We hadn't been advised that you were such a famous person.

Sorry if it bothers you, John. But after decades of work on local bike
issues, I'm well known in the area. I'm fairly well known at the state
level as well.

As I said, "We hadn't been advised that you were such a famous person"
and so, perhaps, viewed you in a somewhat disparaging manner but I
can assure you that now we have been advised of your eminence that we
will "bend the knee" and your slightest utterance will be greeted
with cry's of amazement and veneration.

FWIW, Jay is also pretty well known, but IIRC it's for significant
bicycle legal work he did decades ago. I don't know if he's been active
in these issues since.

How interesting, though, that "no good deed goes unpunished." Even by
fellow cyclists.

"Look Ma! I'm Wonderful!"
Good deed? Or self glorification?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 28th 20, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 4:53:15 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

No, I took my Alice B. Toeclips Award and retired, except for working on statutes or weighing-in on statutes. I've drafted a MHL that only applies to you when you visit the state. It's called "Frank's Law." Its currently in House Stupid Laws Committee. The last thing I worked on was purely selfish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPCSl0w_rtU They wanted to mow down our neighborhood forest and put in a subdivision. We won . . . for now. BTW, my roof is the best one in the video. That white rectangular building is, of all things, a mausoleum. My neighborhood is littered with cemeteries. After all these years of living in this neighborhood, my wife and I recently stumbled onto a little Jewish cemetery that we hadn't seen befo https://images.findagrave.com/photos...1034264909.jpg It was at the top of a steep little road we never go up. Regrettably, this part of town is also where businesses go to die. We just lost the neat little supermarket four blocks from our house. I'm hoping our neighborhood Mexican restaurant doesn't go under because of COVID. It seems the weed shop is still doing well.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 28th 20, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 5:06:17 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

WTF? This is a bicycle tech group. If somebody posts a picture of bike in obvious need of TLC, this is exactly the place where it will draw a comment. Who knew Wolfgang was so attached to the thing.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 28th 20, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 16:02:47 +0700, John B. wrote:

Rationalize it any way that you want to but my guess is that if the
state were to promulgate a helmet law, and enforce it, that the numbers
of bicyclists would remain about the same.

Or are you telling us that if you were forced to wear a helmet you would
give up bicycles?

Err, John, your head is in the clouds and you are looking at the area of
smallest impact.

First point is that over here, the biggest market for bicycles are kids
bicycles and adding the price of a compulsory helmet to the purchase on
the bicycle can start at an extra 25% cost on purchase. It has a big
impact for some families on weather kids get bicycles or not.

Old June 28th 20, 07:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 04:44:42 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 16:02:47 +0700, John B. wrote:

Rationalize it any way that you want to but my guess is that if the
state were to promulgate a helmet law, and enforce it, that the numbers
of bicyclists would remain about the same.

Or are you telling us that if you were forced to wear a helmet you would
give up bicycles?

Err, John, your head is in the clouds and you are looking at the area of
smallest impact.

First point is that over here, the biggest market for bicycles are kids
bicycles and adding the price of a compulsory helmet to the purchase on
the bicycle can start at an extra 25% cost on purchase. It has a big
impact for some families on weather kids get bicycles or not.

The actual cost of a bicycle helmet is in the very low dollar range. I
see them every time I go to Lotus-Tesco or any of the large stores
here. And no, they don't have an approval sticker inside from some
approval agency or another but they are indicative of the actual cost
of making a Styrofoam Bennie.

Take a look
Complete with an approval sticker they are really expensive...
https://tinyurl.com/y92vrq7q
All of US$ 1.29 or A$1.87
--
cheers,

John B.

General Bicycle News jbeattie Techniques 2 February 23rd 20 10:33 PM
Bicycle News [email protected] Techniques 0 November 10th 14 04:17 AM
Chinese bicycle news AMuzi Techniques 5 March 1st 13 02:48 PM
Bikeability Toolkit: free seminars for Bicycle User Groups & local government cfsmtb Australia 0 October 5th 06 08:30 AM
California: Bicycle Recycling Program proposed by assemblywoman Ken Marcet General 17 March 22nd 05 10:28 PM