Back fatigue

Old July 11th 03, 02:50 AM
Alan McClure

Default Back fatigue

Well, I'm trying to figure out what the likely culprit is because
lately--past week or two--my lower back muscles have been fatiguing fairly
quickly during rides. I first noticed it during the, up to that point, 2nd
longest ride of the season. On that day, I figured it was just a matter of
pushing it more than I had so far, so the next day I rode a shorter distance
( I was able to ride every day for about 3 weeks before this started
happening) and it was still stressed, so the next day I rode even a shorter
distance, etc. until I got to the point where it was feeling okay, but I
wasn't able to ride any more than about 1 hour--not long if you ask me. So
then I started thinking that maybe something else was the issue. I had
changed my saddle from a more cushy gel filled sort like this:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?W26821A35

to a much lighter, stiffer and thinner saddle:
WTB rocket V Race

I love the saddle, and it is not uncomfortable on my arse, but I started
thinking somehow it was so much stiffer, that my back was taking more of a
pounding. So I figured that I would work my way up to riding longer, but it
didn't seem to be working, and I started to wonder if it wasn't something
else. At this point, I got sick and for three days couldn't ride. Today, I
rode just about 40 minutes and felt better than ever in terms of energy and
leg power, etc. So it seems that the rest of my body recovered. However,
by the end of the ride, my back was fatigued again. I don't really know
what the deal is, I am really happy with the way my bike is set up for
riding, I feel like I have the most control possible for technical sections,
uphills, etc. If I change anything, it doesn't climb the way I like, etc.
So, I really don't want to raise the handle bar, etc. I am just trying to
figure out what could be causing this, when I had been riding for over a
month, and at least 3 weeks straight before this happened.

I wonder if anyone might have had a similar experience. As it stands, I'm
just going to keep trying to ride a little longer everyday, but I hope that
I can eventually ride longer than 1 hour, at which point the rest of me is
not even slightly tired. I wonder, does anyone have a photo of good riding
posture. I'm fairly certain that I ride correctly, but maybe not, and I
haven't been able to find a photo specifically for the purpose of showing
good riding posture (for the loser back).

Thanks as always,

Alan McClure
--
Alan McClure

Old July 11th 03, 01:22 PM
Michael Dart

"Alan McClure" wrote in message
[...]

As previously mentioned stretching is always a good idea before and after
riding. You may also consider working the 'front' or abdominal muscles to
help support your torso. These muscles don't get worked at all from cycling
but are very helpful in maintaining good posture on the bike and will take
some of the load off your lower back. Plus a strong core muscle group is
quite helpful in maintaining control of the bike in situations where you
need to pull off a move like a wheelie drop or recovering from a 'tweaked'
(slipped or deflected) wheel. Oh and there is a 'stretch' you can do on
your bike. When the going gets smooth get up off the saddle and bend your
body toward the stem and straighten your arms. It doesn't so much stretch
your back muscles but relieves the tension on them for a bit which seems to
help.

Mike

Old July 11th 03, 02:44 PM
Alan McClure

Thanks for the advice on stretching. Do you think it is at all weird that
it happened after riding quite a bit with no problem, and then after three
days of rest still is fatiguing? It just seems like a weird situation to
me. Also, do you think that slightly (very slightly) shortening my stem
would effect my back positively?

A.

Old July 11th 03, 04:07 PM
Jon Bond

Thanks for the advice on stretching. Do you think it is at all weird that
it happened after riding quite a bit with no problem, and then after three
days of rest still is fatiguing? It just seems like a weird situation to
me. Also, do you think that slightly (very slightly) shortening my stem
would effect my back positively?

A.

My legs and sides are still burning, and I haven't ridden in two days (damn
rain, probably for the best tho...). I did 5 rides in 4 days, plus some
other rides before that. The 10+ mile technical ride, followed a few hours
later by the 45 minute flat-out hammer ride, followed directly by two hours
of competitive ultimate frisbe... I overdid it a bit!

Stretching def would have helped, I should have done it, and i'm sorry I
didn't now. Nice that my muscles are the things that get tired now instead
of my lungs!

Jon Bond

Old July 11th 03, 05:16 PM
Shawn Curry

Michael Dart wrote:
"Alan McClure" wrote in message

Well, I'm trying to figure out what the likely culprit is because
lately--past week or two--my lower back muscles have been fatiguing fairly
quickly during rides. I first noticed it during the, up to that point,

snip

[...]

I've had similar problems. Crunches (situps) helped a lot. A flakey
doctor I went to for back pain once had one good bit of advice and a
demonstration. He said if your abdominal muscles are weak, your body is
only supported along your back (spine). He used a flat piece of paper
as a model-hard to make it stand up vertically, wants to flop over.
Strengthening the abdominal muscles is like taking the paper and rolling
it into a tube-much stronger and able to not only stand up, but
withstand a lot more bending force than the flat sheet.
Do crunches without anyone/thing holding your feet. Otherwise you end
up working muscles that can make things worse. I do these after riding
while everything is still warmed up, it also helps me stretch my lower
back. Don't do 200 the first day and not be able to sneeze for a week
without writhing in agony (don't ask me how I know). Also, when I
stretch before a ride, I'll ride very easily for a few minutes to
warm/loosen things up. I prefer to stretch after riding. Doubt it
matters much as long as you do it some time.

Look at how experienced riders sit on their bikes (the LBS may or may
not help-like usenet). Tune in the Tour coverage to see how they ride.
Copy the average as a good starting point. Take ibuprofen! Makes it
feel better and (according to lots of docs) decreases inflamation
helping healing. Good Luck.

Cheers,
Shawn

Old July 11th 03, 05:33 PM
bruce edge

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:50:54 +0000, Alan McClure wrote:

Well, I'm trying to figure out what the likely culprit is because
lately--past week or two--my lower back muscles have been fatiguing fairly
quickly during rides.

No one mentioned standing up for a bit. If I do a lot of climbing, say
more than a couple of hours seated, my back gives out.
The solution I found was to grab 3 more gears, stand and turn slow steady
RPMs for a while. It uses totally different muscles, your butt, calves and
triceps will bear the brunt of it. You can kind of balance your upper body
on your bars so that your back isn't taking any strain at all except for
terrain adjustment maneuvers. There's a sweet spot in your
forward/backward body position where you can rest while standing a turning
a slow cadence.
Also, when you sit and spin, think about tightening your upper
back/shoulders a bit and leaning forward. At least for me, it seems like I
can work my upper back to take some of the strain off the lower.

YMMV

-Bruce

Old July 11th 03, 06:32 PM
Alan McClure

Thanks guys. I also decided to switch out my flat bar for a riser bar that
I have laying around and ride with that for a few days to see if it makes
any difference. That reminds me, this may be a simple question, but what
the hell difference is there between having a riser bar, or a stem that has
more of an inclined angle to raise the flat bar up? It doesn't seem to me,
that there would be any difference, but I'm sure I'm wrong, or why would
riser bars even exist. Anyway, I'll see if I can work on these stretches
etc. and let you know if it works.

Ooh, by the way, I just got my Thomson seat post today after stripping the
saddle angle adjustment on a simple aluminum post. My LBS subtracted the
price of the original post from the Thomson, so I got it for cheaper. I am
expecting this thing to last mem awhile.

A.

Old July 11th 03, 09:03 PM
Michael Dart

Thanks guys. I also decided to switch out my flat bar for a riser bar

that
I have laying around and ride with that for a few days to see if it makes
any difference. That reminds me, this may be a simple question, but what
the hell difference is there between having a riser bar, or a stem that

has
more of an inclined angle to raise the flat bar up? It doesn't seem to

me,
that there would be any difference, but I'm sure I'm wrong, or why would
riser bars even exist. Anyway, I'll see if I can work on these stretches
etc. and let you know if it works.

No difference other than riser bars look 'Tres Moto'. ;^)

Ooh, by the way, I just got my Thomson seat post today after stripping the
saddle angle adjustment on a simple aluminum post. My LBS subtracted the
price of the original post from the Thomson, so I got it for cheaper. I

am
expecting this thing to last mem awhile.

If you can break a Thomson my helmet's off to ya!

Mike - an that'd be a fullface.

Old July 11th 03, 09:27 PM
Raptor

This is a frequent problem for cyclists. As a roadie who also rides a
mtb, I take 3-4 hour rides with relatively few position changes. My
back bugs me, of course.

I'm not sure if it's muscles in my case, or ligaments. But muscle
strengthening should help either way. Core exercises, back and abs, are
great advice. I've been beating on mine for months but I still have
back pain and stiffness. It's not debillitating so I'm not too concerned.

One other thing, check your hip flexor length. Cyclists frequently have
short/tight hip flexors, which can increase back strain. Lie on the
floor and bring one knee hard to your chest. Your straight leg should
be able to rest completely on the floor unless you hip flexors are tight
(or hamstrings and calves are especially beefy). Mine are border-line.

Stretching can be done by either an extended quadricep stretch (heel to
butt, either standing or lying on your back, watch for knee strain in
extreme positions), or a lunge position with a vertical or leaned-back
torso. You should really feel the stretch in the hip on the side of
your rear leg.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old July 12th 03, 01:38 AM
Slacker

Thanks guys. I also decided to switch out my flat bar for a riser bar
that
I have laying around and ride with that for a few days to see if it makes
any difference. That reminds me, this may be a simple question, but what
the hell difference is there between having a riser bar, or a stem that

has
more of an inclined angle to raise the flat bar up? It doesn't seem to

me,
that there would be any difference, but I'm sure I'm wrong, or why would
riser bars even exist. Anyway, I'll see if I can work on these stretches
etc. and let you know if it works.

No difference other than riser bars look 'Tres Moto'. ;^)

Mike - an that'd be a fullface.

Actually, there is another difference. All the risers I've seen, and currently use, have a sweep to them. So, they're swept back
and down a little. Slight rotations of the bar can help with positioning and provide far more adjustment possibilities than a flat
bar.
--
Slacker - but I do like the Moto look

Hey, what the heck http://cambriabike.com/bars&ends/lp_...n_flat_bar.htm
When did flat stop meaning "flat?"
--
Slacker

RePete is Back...RePete is Back!!! RePete General 1 April 25th 04 03:29 PM
Back on the road! Marlene Blanshay General 8 April 8th 04 04:15 AM
back from Vancouver Claire Petersky General 4 April 6th 04 06:01 AM
exercises for back Matthew General 6 December 15th 03 08:55 PM
Back Pain Chas Williams General 3 August 15th 03 01:57 AM