A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 28th 04, 03:51 AM
Anonymous
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires

What exactly are we paying for that makes up the enormous difference
in cost/mile between car tires and bicycle tires?
I recently replaced four car tires for about 200 dollars after about
three years. Sometimes I get a glass cut in bicycle tire and only get
one ride!, more typically I might get four months or about 2000 miles.
Even with a *budget* $20 tire this ends up costing me about twice as
much as the automobile tires for the same period. To make bike tires
last longer would require more material and cost performance due to
weight and feel less responsive, but it's kinda funny that the current
highest performance tires have even less material so should be cheaper
in some sense but cost more. Maybe it's just me but I can't tell any
difference between most road tires when riding except for the weight
differences.
  #2  
Old March 28th 04, 04:22 AM
carlfogel
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires

Anonymous wrote:
What exactly are we paying for that makes up the enormous difference in
cost/mile between car tires and bicycle tires? I recently replaced four
car tires for about 200 dollars after about three years. Sometimes I get
a glass cut in bicycle tire and only get one ride!, more typically I
might get four months or about 2000 miles. Even with a *budget* $20 tire
this ends up costing me about twice as much as the automobile tires for
the same period. To make bike tires last longer would require more
material and cost performance due to weight and feel less responsive,
but it's kinda funny that the current highest performance tires have
even less material so should be cheaper in some sense but cost more.
Maybe it's just me but I can't tell any difference between most road
tires when riding except for the weight differences.




Dear Anon,

I understand that, on a weight basis, many of the garments available
from Victoria's Secret are scandalously overpriced and flimsy when
compared to sturdy coveralls.

Equally outraged,

Carl Fogel



--


  #3  
Old March 28th 04, 05:35 AM
Rapunzel
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires

carlfogel wrote:

VS undies vs Overalls, they both have a very different mission in life,
don't they???

Just like car tires and bicycle tires.

Bernice


Dear Anon,

I understand that, on a weight basis, many of the garments available
from Victoria's Secret are scandalously overpriced and flimsy when
compared to sturdy coveralls.

Equally outraged,

Carl Fogel


  #4  
Old March 29th 04, 12:42 AM
carlfogel
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires

Rapunzel wrote:
carlfogel wrote:
VS undies vs Overalls, they both have a very different mission in life,
don't they???
Just like car tires and bicycle tires.
Bernice
Dear Anon,

I understand that, on a weight basis, many of the garments available
from Victoria's Secret are scandalously overpriced and flimsy when
compared to sturdy coveralls.

Equally outraged,

Carl Fogel



Dear Bernice

Alas, the mission is entirely the same from the male perspective. We ar
convinced that that you would look entrancing attired in a gunny-sack

"The creator and arbiter of beauty is the heart; to the male rattlesnak
the female rattlesnake is the loveliest thing in nature.
-- Ambrose Bierc

Your helpless admirer

Carl Foge


-


  #5  
Old March 29th 04, 12:42 AM
carlfogel
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires

Rapunzel wrote:
carlfogel wrote:
VS undies vs Overalls, they both have a very different mission in life,
don't they???
Just like car tires and bicycle tires.
Bernice
Dear Anon,

I understand that, on a weight basis, many of the garments available
from Victoria's Secret are scandalously overpriced and flimsy when
compared to sturdy coveralls.

Equally outraged,

Carl Fogel



Dear Bernice

Alas, the mission is entirely the same from the male perspective. We ar
convinced that that you would look entrancing attired in a gunny-sack

"The creator and arbiter of beauty is the heart; to the male rattlesnak
the female rattlesnake is the loveliest thing in nature.
-- Ambrose Bierc

Your helpless admirer

Carl Foge


-


  #6  
Old March 28th 04, 05:35 AM
Rapunzel
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires

carlfogel wrote:

VS undies vs Overalls, they both have a very different mission in life,
don't they???

Just like car tires and bicycle tires.

Bernice


Dear Anon,

I understand that, on a weight basis, many of the garments available
from Victoria's Secret are scandalously overpriced and flimsy when
compared to sturdy coveralls.

Equally outraged,

Carl Fogel


  #7  
Old March 28th 04, 11:51 PM
Peter Cole
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires

"carlfogel" wrote

Dear Anon,

I understand that, on a weight basis, many of the garments available
from Victoria's Secret are scandalously overpriced and flimsy when
compared to sturdy coveralls.

Equally outraged,

Carl Fogel


I've noticed many older cyclists seem to have replaced women with bikes as
fetish objects. Is it an ED thing?


  #8  
Old March 29th 04, 12:22 AM
carlfogel
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires

Peter Cole wrote:
"carlfogel" wrote
Dear Anon,

I understand that, on a weight basis, many of the garments available
from Victoria's Secret are scandalously overpriced and flimsy when
compared to sturdy coveralls.

Equally outraged,

Carl Fogel

I've noticed many older cyclists seem to have replaced women with bikes
as fetish objects. Is it an ED thing?



Dear Peter

Hmm . . . I see no bicycles in my post

Possibly you treated my salacious maunderings as a Rorschach ink blo
test and read something into it from the depths of your own depraved-

Never mind

Carl Foge


-


  #9  
Old March 29th 04, 02:19 AM
Peter Cole
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires


"carlfogel" wrote in message
.. .
Peter Cole wrote:
"carlfogel" wrote
Dear Anon,

I understand that, on a weight basis, many of the garments available
from Victoria's Secret are scandalously overpriced and flimsy when
compared to sturdy coveralls.

Equally outraged,

Carl Fogel

I've noticed many older cyclists seem to have replaced women with bikes
as fetish objects. Is it an ED thing?




Dear Peter,

Hmm . . . I see no bicycles in my post.

Possibly you treated my salacious maunderings as a Rorschach ink blot
test and read something into it from the depths of your own depraved--

Never mind.

Carl Fogel


Silly me, to have bicycles on my mind instead of underwear. I'm usually not
like that.


  #10  
Old March 29th 04, 02:19 AM
Peter Cole
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires


"carlfogel" wrote in message
.. .
Peter Cole wrote:
"carlfogel" wrote
Dear Anon,

I understand that, on a weight basis, many of the garments available
from Victoria's Secret are scandalously overpriced and flimsy when
compared to sturdy coveralls.

Equally outraged,

Carl Fogel

I've noticed many older cyclists seem to have replaced women with bikes
as fetish objects. Is it an ED thing?




Dear Peter,

Hmm . . . I see no bicycles in my post.

Possibly you treated my salacious maunderings as a Rorschach ink blot
test and read something into it from the depths of your own depraved--

Never mind.

Carl Fogel


Silly me, to have bicycles on my mind instead of underwear. I'm usually not
like that.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.