cleaning fun...(not)

Old October 3rd 03, 11:25 AM
gravelmuncher

Default cleaning fun...(not)

Any suggestions on solvents for cleaning the drivetrain, and where
to buy them?

Old October 3rd 03, 12:59 PM
Duncan

"gravelmuncher" wrote in message
Any suggestions on solvents for cleaning the drivetrain, and where
to buy them?

Kerosene, from a supermarket.

Old October 3rd 03, 01:10 PM
Tim Jones

"gravelmuncher" wrote in message
Any suggestions on solvents for cleaning the drivetrain, and where
to buy them?

On the flip side...

Other than expensive bike store lubricant, what do people use for oiling
their chain?

Motorcycle chain oil?

Looking from the perspective of a comuter bike - not a racing bike. So it is
ridden in the rain with lots of crap going onto the drive train without
necessarily very regular cleaning or oiling ;-)

Tim

Old October 3rd 03, 03:09 PM
Steve Reynolds

Any suggestions on solvents for cleaning the drivetrain, and where
to buy them?

Kero or Diggers degreaser

Want to know how to clean your chain see:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

On the flip side...

Other than expensive bike store lubricant, what do people use for oiling
their chain?

Motorcycle chain oil?

Yep works fine

SR

Old October 3rd 03, 10:39 PM
Suzy Jackson

"Tim Jones" wrote in message
. au...
Other than expensive bike store lubricant, what do people use for oiling
their chain?

Motorcycle chain oil?

This is IMHO by far the best stuff to use. It foams when it comes out of
the can, to penetrate in under the rollers, and is a decent weight, so it
stays there. I use motorcycle chain oil on all my bikes (racing and
commuting).

Failing that, ordinary motor oil is good too.

Just don't use wax or white lightning, as its build up is _really_ hard to
remove.

Regards,

Suzy

Old October 4th 03, 12:15 AM
David Trudgett

Suzy Jackson wrote:

"Tim Jones" wrote in message
. au...

Other than expensive bike store lubricant, what do people use for oiling
their chain?

Motorcycle chain oil?

This is IMHO by far the best stuff to use. It foams when it comes out of
the can, to penetrate in under the rollers, and is a decent weight, so it
stays there. I use motorcycle chain oil on all my bikes (racing and
commuting).

Failing that, ordinary motor oil is good too.

Just don't use wax or white lightning, as its build up is _really_ hard to
remove.

I use Singer light machine oil on mine, and it seems to work OK, but
I've never used anything else. so I can't compare it with anything...

David

--

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly