A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Social Issues
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Euphemism for Illegal Mountain Bike Trails: "Gray Trails"



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old June 5th 07, 04:02 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
userfriendly
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 48
Default Euphemism for Illegal Mountain Bike Trails: "Gray Trails"

"Bill Z." wrote in message
...
: "userfriendly" writes:
:
: Global warming (hoax)
:
: Not a hoax. The first time I heard about it (in any form) was in
: a physics course, were we estimated the surface temperature of the
: earth treating it as black body (perfect absorber, perfect emitter).
: The temperature turned out too low - the oceans should have been
: frozen. The reason was the "greenhouse" effect of CO2 and other
: gasses naturally occuring in the atmosphere.
:
: This was well before there was any politics involved and nobody said
: the sky was falling. It was simply an explanation of why an overly
: simplified calculation didn't get the right answer (but it's not like
: the oversimplified one was off by a factor of 2 either).
:
: We need some global warming (the naturally occuring amount). It's just
: that unpredicable, and possibly very disruptive, things might happen
: if we change the composition of the atmosphere too much.
:
And the first time I heard about it, it was called Global Winter and we were
all gonna freeze to death. That was just 30 years ago. Now we're all gonna
fry?

Natural global warming IS occurring. There is NO DATA to show anything but
natural warming is occurring. We haven't been measuring long enough to
know.


Ads
  #62  
Old June 5th 07, 05:30 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Wolf Leverich
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default Euphemism for Illegal Mountain Bike Trails: "Gray Trails"

On 2007-06-05, userfriendly wrote:

http://www.michaelcrichton.com/speec...omplexity.html

Enjoy the education...



Quoting Michael Crichton about science is absurd.

He was a pre-med majoring in Anthropology at Harvard. That
probably doesn't mean anything to an average Joe, but to any
Harvard graduate that pretty well tells you he's a guy who
wanted to make it to med school but couldn't cut it in the
hard sciences.

If you're going to quote someone about science, at least try to
find a guy who made it past "Physics for Poets".

Cheers, Wolf SB/SM '78
(in Engineering and Applied Physics, with Departmental Honors)


--
Dr. Brian Leverich Co-moderator, soc.genealogy.methods/GENMTD-L
Angeles Chapter LTC Admin Chair http://angeles.sierraclub.org/ltc/
P.O. Box 6831, Frazier Park, CA 93222-6831
  #63  
Old June 5th 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
userfriendly
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 48
Default Euphemism for Illegal Mountain Bike Trails: "Gray Trails"

"Wolf Leverich" wrote in message
...
: On 2007-06-05, userfriendly wrote:
:
: http://www.michaelcrichton.com/speec...omplexity.html
:
: Enjoy the education...
:
:
: Quoting Michael Crichton about science is absurd.
:
: He was a pre-med majoring in Anthropology at Harvard. That
: probably doesn't mean anything to an average Joe, but to any
: Harvard graduate that pretty well tells you he's a guy who
: wanted to make it to med school but couldn't cut it in the
: hard sciences.
:
: If you're going to quote someone about science, at least try to
: find a guy who made it past "Physics for Poets".
:
Aaaahhh- attack the source because you can't deal with the facts. Shame-
that one doesn't work on me.



  #64  
Old June 5th 07, 09:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Wolf Leverich
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default Euphemism for Illegal Mountain Bike Trails: "Gray Trails"

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.backcountry.]
On 2007-06-05, userfriendly wrote:
"Wolf Leverich" wrote in message
...
: On 2007-06-05, userfriendly wrote:
:
: http://www.michaelcrichton.com/speec...omplexity.html
:
: Enjoy the education...
:
:
: Quoting Michael Crichton about science is absurd.
:
: He was a pre-med majoring in Anthropology at Harvard. That
: probably doesn't mean anything to an average Joe, but to any
: Harvard graduate that pretty well tells you he's a guy who
: wanted to make it to med school but couldn't cut it in the
: hard sciences.
:
: If you're going to quote someone about science, at least try to
: find a guy who made it past "Physics for Poets".
:
Aaaahhh- attack the source because you can't deal with the facts. Shame-
that one doesn't work on me.



Which facts? Apart from "A linear system is a rocket flying to
Mars", I'm not sure I recognized a lot of useful facts in that
piece of fluff.

Crichton's a novelist with a political agenda. Good for him.
May he live long and prosper. The important point is that he
should never be confused with a scientist, because at best he
only plays one on TV.

No training, no experience, and no reason to value his opinion
any more than that of your Aunt Mabel or the guy who picks up
your trash.

Cheers, Wolf.


--
Dr. Brian Leverich Co-moderator, soc.genealogy.methods/GENMTD-L
Angeles Chapter LTC Admin Chair http://angeles.sierraclub.org/ltc/
P.O. Box 6831, Frazier Park, CA 93222-6831
  #65  
Old June 5th 07, 10:16 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
y_p_w
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 102
Default Euphemism for Illegal Mountain Bike Trails: "Gray Trails"

On Jun 5, 9:30 am, "Wolf Leverich" wrote:
On 2007-06-05, userfriendly wrote:

http://www.michaelcrichton.com/speec...omplexity.html


Enjoy the education...


Quoting Michael Crichton about science is absurd.

He was a pre-med majoring in Anthropology at Harvard. That
probably doesn't mean anything to an average Joe, but to any
Harvard graduate that pretty well tells you he's a guy who
wanted to make it to med school but couldn't cut it in the
hard sciences.


Crichton is a Harvard Med School graduate. That being said, his
politics seems to trump any really scientific basis for his claims on
global warming.

  #66  
Old June 6th 07, 12:26 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,680
Default Euphemism for Illegal Mountain Bike Trails: "Gray Trails"

y_p_w wrote:
On Jun 5, 9:30 am, "Wolf Leverich" wrote:
On 2007-06-05, userfriendly wrote:

http://www.michaelcrichton.com/speec...omplexity.html
Enjoy the education...

Quoting Michael Crichton about science is absurd.

He was a pre-med majoring in Anthropology at Harvard. That
probably doesn't mean anything to an average Joe, but to any
Harvard graduate that pretty well tells you he's a guy who
wanted to make it to med school but couldn't cut it in the
hard sciences.


Crichton is a Harvard Med School graduate. That being said, his
politics seems to trump any really scientific basis for his claims on
global warming.

At what point did this go to quoting Crichton or anyone else?
Trails....
I ride them when I find them and do so non-destructively, often
following a deer path in the deep woods.
How does anyone find this to be destructive?
If I am correct this was Vandeman's excuse for ragging on mountain
motorcycle riders, which then spilled over to include bicycle riders.
What next, illegal trail walking?
There is a big difference between bicycle trail riders who respect the
land they are riding on and the motorcycle set, most of whom could care
less about any damage they do.
Make that distinction and this might be a worthwhile thread.
Bill (pedal powered) Baka
  #67  
Old June 6th 07, 02:57 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,798
Default Euphemism for Illegal Mountain Bike Trails: "Gray Trails"

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 10:45:30 -0400, "userfriendly"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
news : userfriendly wrote:
: "Bill" wrote in message
: et...
: : userfriendly wrote:
: : "Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
: : news : : : Destructive according to who?
: : :
: : : Where have you been? On Mars? Everyone else knows that humans are
the
: : : most destructive species on the Earth.
: :
: : Prove it.
: :
: :
: :
: : Look around. If it doesn't serve 'our' purpose we cut it down,
bulldoze
: : it, or whatever to destroy nature and build our stuff on it.
: : We are now responsible for the greatest extinction rate since the
: : dinosaurs. Global warming gets all the press because it will affect
the
: : ever so precious HUMAN race, and very little ever gets talked about as
: : to how we are destroying nature globally. We are just another animal
: : species, albeit one with just enough smarts to make tools to eradicate
: : much of nature. We are just a small blip on the radar of global time
but
: : making one hell of a dent in the state of the planet.
: : Bill Baka
:
: What's wrong with making the earth serve our purpose? I don't belong to
: this earth, it belongs to me. And I don't apologize for that.
:
: We're not a blip- we ARE what this world is about. Global warming is
junk
: science. Get your head out of the sand.
:
:
: Out of 4.5 BILLION years we have been around for maybe 10,000 years, and
: that is a blip in time. Does your definition of making the earth serve
: our purpose include mass destruction of habitat, extinction of species,
: and eventual destruction of the earth's ability to support life?
: Get YOUR head out of your ass.
: Bill Baka

http://www.michaelcrichton.com/speec...omplexity.html

Enjoy the education...


Michael Crichton is a known crackpot, not a scientist.
--
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
  #68  
Old June 6th 07, 02:59 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,798
Default Euphemism for Illegal Mountain Bike Trails: "Gray Trails"

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 13:56:25 -0400, "userfriendly"
wrote:

"Wolf Leverich" wrote in message
...
: On 2007-06-05, userfriendly wrote:
:
: http://www.michaelcrichton.com/speec...omplexity.html
:
: Enjoy the education...
:
:
: Quoting Michael Crichton about science is absurd.
:
: He was a pre-med majoring in Anthropology at Harvard. That
: probably doesn't mean anything to an average Joe, but to any
: Harvard graduate that pretty well tells you he's a guy who
: wanted to make it to med school but couldn't cut it in the
: hard sciences.
:
: If you're going to quote someone about science, at least try to
: find a guy who made it past "Physics for Poets".
:
Aaaahhh- attack the source because you can't deal with the facts. Shame-
that one doesn't work on me.


Maybe if you COULD find a reliable source, there might be a reason to
listen. Apparently, you COULDN'T, so you used Michael Crichton
instead.
--
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
  #69  
Old June 6th 07, 03:02 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,798
Default Euphemism for Illegal Mountain Bike Trails: "Gray Trails"

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 23:26:57 GMT, Bill wrote:

y_p_w wrote:
On Jun 5, 9:30 am, "Wolf Leverich" wrote:
On 2007-06-05, userfriendly wrote:

http://www.michaelcrichton.com/speec...omplexity.html
Enjoy the education...
Quoting Michael Crichton about science is absurd.

He was a pre-med majoring in Anthropology at Harvard. That
probably doesn't mean anything to an average Joe, but to any
Harvard graduate that pretty well tells you he's a guy who
wanted to make it to med school but couldn't cut it in the
hard sciences.


Crichton is a Harvard Med School graduate. That being said, his
politics seems to trump any really scientific basis for his claims on
global warming.

At what point did this go to quoting Crichton or anyone else?
Trails....
I ride them when I find them and do so non-destructively, often
following a deer path in the deep woods.
How does anyone find this to be destructive?


The science says it is: http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb7. That's
one reason that riding "deer trails" is illegal.

If I am correct this was Vandeman's excuse for ragging on mountain
motorcycle riders, which then spilled over to include bicycle riders.
What next, illegal trail walking?
There is a big difference between bicycle trail riders who respect the
land they are riding on and the motorcycle set, most of whom could care
less about any damage they do.
Make that distinction and this might be a worthwhile thread.
Bill (pedal powered) Baka


Why are you talking about motorcyclists? We are talking about mountain
bikers. There's no disagreement on motorcycling being harmful.
--
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
  #70  
Old June 6th 07, 03:52 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,680
Default Euphemism for Illegal Mountain Bike Trails: "Gray Trails"

Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 23:26:57 GMT, Bill wrote:

y_p_w wrote:
On Jun 5, 9:30 am, "Wolf Leverich" wrote:
On 2007-06-05, userfriendly wrote:

http://www.michaelcrichton.com/speec...omplexity.html
Enjoy the education...
Quoting Michael Crichton about science is absurd.

He was a pre-med majoring in Anthropology at Harvard. That
probably doesn't mean anything to an average Joe, but to any
Harvard graduate that pretty well tells you he's a guy who
wanted to make it to med school but couldn't cut it in the
hard sciences.
Crichton is a Harvard Med School graduate. That being said, his
politics seems to trump any really scientific basis for his claims on
global warming.

At what point did this go to quoting Crichton or anyone else?
Trails....
I ride them when I find them and do so non-destructively, often
following a deer path in the deep woods.
How does anyone find this to be destructive?


The science says it is: http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb7. That's
one reason that riding "deer trails" is illegal.


I read a fair part of that and it referred to the haul ass and skid kind
of riding that teenagers and a few twenty somethings do. My riding is to
not only respect the land but to explore, and I definitely pack out
whatever I take in with me, even to the point of taking out other
people's junk.

If I am correct this was Vandeman's excuse for ragging on mountain
motorcycle riders, which then spilled over to include bicycle riders.
What next, illegal trail walking?
There is a big difference between bicycle trail riders who respect the
land they are riding on and the motorcycle set, most of whom could care
less about any damage they do.
Make that distinction and this might be a worthwhile thread.
Bill (pedal powered) Baka


Why are you talking about motorcyclists? We are talking about mountain
bikers. There's no disagreement on motorcycling being harmful.


I agree with you there since I have been (rarely) passed by motorcycles
on trails where they were definitely illegal. As I mentioned above I am
a passive mountain biker out to enjoy nature, not to trample it. I might
get to the point of picking a fight if I found somebody carelessly
tossing beer cans around the trails. I may be in the minority, but if it
is worth the effort to ride to once I would like it to be in the same
condition the next time I go there. That is my personal sanctuary from
the overcrowding of the city/town environment. The worst I have done is
to scare a bear and we both took off in opposite directions, fast.
Bill Baka
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Euphemism for Illegal Mountain Bike Trails: "Gray Trails" Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 88 June 10th 07 10:48 PM
VIC: Lysterfield Park "No Bikes" Trails snozza[_2_] Australia 0 February 27th 07 01:26 AM
"A Comparative Study of Impacts to Mountain Bike Trails in Five Common Ecological Regions of the Southwestern U.S." Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 52 September 1st 06 05:21 PM
"A Comparative Study of Impacts to Mountain Bike Trails in Five Common Ecological Regions of the Southwestern U.S." Mike Vandeman Social Issues 31 September 1st 06 05:21 PM
24" trails trials_uni Unicycling 0 April 2nd 06 03:37 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.