question: mixing 7 speed sprockets

Old April 4th 04, 05:30 PM
Kyle.B.H

Default question: mixing 7 speed sprockets

I have an old 7 spd 13-23, and an old 7 spd 11-28. Alas, I'd like to have
an old 13-28. I have the sprockets to do it, and I just need to drill out
the rivets holding most of the sprockets on these cassettes together.
However, this page from Sheldon Brown gives me pause:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#7cassettes

He claims that "Sprockets shown in color are interchangeable with other
same-size sprockets shown in the same color." Well, the sprockets listed
for the 13-23 "I" cassette are all red and green, and the sprockets listed
on the 11-28 "ac/aj" cassette are all black! What does this mean, and will
it prevent me from acheiving my 13-28 goal?

Thanks,

Kyle

Old April 4th 04, 05:59 PM
Sheldon Brown

Kyle.B.H wrote:

I have an old 7 spd 13-23, and an old 7 spd 11-28. Alas, I'd like to have
an old 13-28. I have the sprockets to do it, and I just need to drill out
the rivets holding most of the sprockets on these cassettes together.
However, this page from Sheldon Brown gives me pause:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#7cassettes

He claims that "Sprockets shown in color are interchangeable with other
same-size sprockets shown in the same color." Well, the sprockets listed
for the 13-23 "I" cassette are all red and green, and the sprockets listed
on the 11-28 "ac/aj" cassette are all black! What does this mean, and will
it prevent me from acheiving my 13-28 goal?

If you want a 13-28, why not just buy an "M" cassette? That's one of
the standard combinations.

The business with matching the colors is if you want to preservee the
silent Hyperglide shifting functionality.

You can freely mix and match to make custom cassettes, but if you break
the prescribed sequence, the shifting may be a teensy weensy bit slower
and may make a tiny bit of noise (still be way better than anything Eddy
Merckx ever raced on!)

If you're trying to put together some unusal internal jumps between the
13 and 28, note that the 11-28 cassette is available both as IG and an
HG version. It will simplify things if you work with the HG version.

Sheldon "K7" Brown
| People who go broke in a big way never miss any meals. |
| It is the poor jerk who is shy half a slug |
| who must tighten his belt. --Robert A. Heinlein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old April 5th 04, 09:34 AM
Benjamin Weiner

Kyle.B.H wrote:
I have an old 7 spd 13-23, and an old 7 spd 11-28. Alas, I'd like to have
an old 13-28. I have the sprockets to do it, and I just need to drill out
the rivets holding most of the sprockets on these cassettes together.
However, this page from Sheldon Brown gives me pause:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#7cassettes

He claims that "Sprockets shown in color are interchangeable with other
same-size sprockets shown in the same color." Well, the sprockets listed
for the 13-23 "I" cassette are all red and green, and the sprockets listed
on the 11-28 "ac/aj" cassette are all black! What does this mean, and will
it prevent me from acheiving my 13-28 goal?

It means that the Hyperglide ramps only line up exactly right
if you interchange a red for red sprocket, etc. In your case,
when you take the 13-23, remove the 14 and 23, and add the 24
and 28 from the other cassette, shifting on two shifts (13-15
and 21-24) will be degraded by precisely 0.074 SSU (Shimano
Shifting Units). May the Lord have mercy on your soul.

Old April 5th 04, 12:25 PM
Kyle.B.H

"Kyle.B.H" wrote in message
I have an old 7 spd 13-23, and an old 7 spd 11-28. Alas, I'd like to have
an old 13-28. I have the sprockets to do it, and I just need to drill out
the rivets holding most of the sprockets on these cassettes together.
However, this page from Sheldon Brown gives me pause:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#7cassettes

He claims that "Sprockets shown in color are interchangeable with other
same-size sprockets shown in the same color." Well, the sprockets listed
for the 13-23 "I" cassette are all red and green, and the sprockets listed
on the 11-28 "ac/aj" cassette are all black! What does this mean, and

will
it prevent me from acheiving my 13-28 goal?

Thanks. I can't for the life of me get those damn rivets out. I don't have
a good enough drill bit, nor a grinding wheel/dremel to at least get the
tops off.

hx,

Kyle

Old April 5th 04, 11:06 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

And another person discovers the REAL reason behind the creation of
"Hype"glide! LOL!!

I have heard, that you can mix sprockets that do not 'metch", however,
you will lose shifting performance. Unless someone says otherwise, try
it. You already own all the sprockets, you can't lose anything but your
time.

Let me know if it works, will you?

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old April 7th 04, 08:15 PM
Rudge

I used an angle grinder to remove the rivet heads.
Shifting is OK.