road bike / race bike / hybrid / touring / fitness bike - which one

Old September 20th 06, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default road bike / race bike / hybrid / touring / fitness bike - which one

In article
Peter Clinch wrote:
Simon Brooke wrote:

You don't need to get it cut, just move spacers from below the stem to
above it. However I'm not at all convinced with this idea that more
upright = more comfortable.

It's more that since everyone is different the best way to get optimum
comfort is empirically, and with a long stem to start with you can at
least experiment in both directions.

Long steerer, surely?
Old September 20th 06, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Simon Brooke said the following on 20/09/2006 12:40:

You don't need to get it cut, just move spacers from below the stem to
above it. However I'm not at all convinced with this idea that more
upright = more comfortable.

I think "more upright = number arse" might sum it up :-) That's "number"
as in "more numb", not 1,2,3,4 etc. Isn't the English language wonderful??

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old September 20th 06, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Paul Boyd wrote:

I think "more upright = number arse" might sum it up :-) That's "number"
as in "more numb", not 1,2,3,4 etc. Isn't the English language wonderful??

And less numbsome wrists/elbows/neck. You choose, you lose!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old September 20th 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Maurice Wibblington

On 20 Sep 2006 03:54:52 -0700, "POHB" wrote:

Maurice Wibblington wrote:
I'm clear that what I want is to

- go faster on the country roads in north Essex (a few occasional
uphill bits, but its probably as flat as anywhere in England) and
never want to go off road on it

- no need for mudguards, panniers or any of that palaver

Are you just going to be using it on dry sunny days for recreational
rides, or are you going to be out in all weathers commuting, shopping,
trailing kids and going to the pub?

definitely just on the roads, mostly in the dry - nb see new thread...
Old September 20th 06, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andrew Price

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:20:32 +0100, Simon Brooke
wrote:

[---]

If you don't want to carry luggage, you don't want a tourer. You're looking
for either a conventional race bike or a 'flat bar racer', and I really
would advise the race bike.

I've come to the same conclusion - the only thing putting me off at
the moment is the issue of mudguards. I want a bike which I can use
throughout the winter, not just when the sun shines. Just how
difficult is it to fit them to a racer?
Old September 20th 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Andrew Price
') wrote:

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:20:32 +0100, Simon Brooke
wrote:

[---]

If you don't want to carry luggage, you don't want a tourer. You're
looking for either a conventional race bike or a 'flat bar racer', and I
really would advise the race bike.

I've come to the same conclusion - the only thing putting me off at
the moment is the issue of mudguards. I want a bike which I can use
throughout the winter, not just when the sun shines. Just how
difficult is it to fit them to a racer?

I use SKS Race Blades on my winter bike. They fit OK on frames without
mudguard clearance, and don't interfere with the brakes; but despite this
are adequately effective. They're very quick and easy to get off and on. I
wouldn't advise them on a really nice bike, as the rubber belts which hold
them in place tend to mark the paint.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5300005894

;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
;; education and catastrophe.
H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"
Old September 20th 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Peter Clinch
') wrote:

Paul Boyd wrote:

I think "more upright = number arse" might sum it up :-) That's "number"
as in "more numb", not 1,2,3,4 etc. Isn't the English language
wonderful??

And less numbsome wrists/elbows/neck. You choose, you lose!

I just don't agree at all. Obviously to some extent it's personal, but I
think for almost anyone it's possible to set a bike up so you just slouch
comfortably over it.

,/| _.--''^``-...___.._.,;
/, \'. _-' ,--,,,--'''
{ \ `_-'' ' /
`;;' ; ; ;
._..--'' ._,,, _..' .;.'
(,_....----''' (,..--''

Old September 20th 06, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Eilbeck

John Hearns writes:

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:56:25 +0100, Nigel Cliffe wrote:

are three on the top, with lots of small shifts between (same height as
flat bars): on the straight bit, hands outside the curve, on the brake
hoods.

Backing up what Nigel says.
To explain to Maurice - if you have dropped bars, most of the time
spent riding is with the hands on top of the brake hoods. Notice
these are made of rubber, and the forefinger and thumb wrap easily
round them. They are used somewhat like bar ends on a mountain
bike.

Except you have your hands on the controls rather than away from them
like on a MTB. IMO this is one of the biggest arguments for drops
rather than straight bars with bar-ends for general use - having your
hands on the hoods/bar-ends is a much more natural position.

So when sizing at the shop put your hands there, not on the dropped
part. (I never use my drops that way). Also you can unloosen the
bars and rotate them so the brake hoods point up a bit more, to the
angle which suits you. Mine are pointed up a bit. (Read that tip in
a magazine article on Paris-Roubaix I think).

Mine too but found out by fiddling rather than research ;o)

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
Old September 21st 06, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Simon Brooke wrote:

I just don't agree at all. Obviously to some extent it's personal, but I
think for almost anyone it's possible to set a bike up so you just slouch
comfortably over it.

I could slouch comfortably over my old drop bar tourer... for quite a
while. But after 60 miles I was really wanting to get off it and my
arms and neck were the problem points. The Brom is quite a bit more
upright, never get aches in my upper body on that, but my bum's had
enough after about 30-40 miles.

On the recumbent I can keep rolling until my legs have had enough.

Pete.
Old September 21st 06, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Peter Clinch
') wrote:

Paul Boyd wrote:

I think "more upright = number arse" might sum it up :-) That's
"number" as in "more numb", not 1,2,3,4 etc. Isn't the English
language wonderful??

And less numbsome wrists/elbows/neck. You choose, you lose!

I just don't agree at all. Obviously to some extent it's personal,
but I think for almost anyone it's possible to set a bike up so you
just slouch comfortably over it.

I think some of it is to do with how much weight or force you put through
the pedals. Less there = more weight on the hands and upper body.

Personally, I'm more comfortable in the long run with a more upright
position than a racing cyclist would use, even on a bike that is basically a
racing machine. And I experimented a lot with different positions, missus.

~PB