Racks is racks, right?

Old September 17th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Racks is racks, right?

SMS writes:
Clive George wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message

[...]

Many racks have a mount for a reflector or tail light, though many lack
this feature. It can be quite a pain in the butt to add a reflector/light
bracket so if you need to be mounting a light to the rack don't buy a rack
without this feature.

Not necessarily as important as that - lights can be mounted, though the
proper one is rather nicer than a bodge.

I've made light brackets and they really are a kludge. It's usually not
just a simple L bracket. Since the bends are sharp, you can't use
aluminum flat bar. It end up being bolted on through the top plate, if
there is a top plate, or bend around the rear rail if there is no top
plate. Something so simple to include on a rack should be included. And
of course not many people want to make everything such a big project.

I did find a source for light brackets for racks with top plates, and a
source for racks without top plates and I added them to the web site.
Unfortunately the latter is not sold in the U.S..

I've used a wire rope clamp to attach a piece of bar stock to the
tubular end of the rack. They're available in various sizes at any
reasonable hardware store; around $3 if you want stainless.

Old September 17th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Radey Shouman" wrote in message

I've used a wire rope clamp to attach a piece of bar stock to the
tubular end of the rack. They're available in various sizes at any
reasonable hardware store; around $3 if you want stainless.

Nice - I like it. Pair of little u-bolts holding a plate with a couple of
holes drilled in it at the appropriate point would be quite light I guess.

Old September 17th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 18, 4:03 am, SMS wrote:
landotter wrote:
If I was going into the Hindu Kush--I'd get a cromo rack--but till
then, I'm a Bor Yeuh man, through and through. Especially for $18.

I've had no problems with Bor Yueh, but Nashbar dropped the rack with a
light/reflector bracket
"http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=5278&..."
and now only has one without the bracket.
"http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=60005..."

I think that I was a Bor Yueh man, but that I decided to switch rather
than fight.

My Cateye's mounted securely with a big fat zip tie. Surely you're
familiar with that sort of technology. My front light is attached to
the underside of my Nashbar front rack with JB Weld. These are True
and Manly ways to attach lighting--not by using feminine pre-
configured "brackets"

spit
Old September 17th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Radey Shouman wrote:

I've used a wire rope clamp to attach a piece of bar stock to the
tubular end of the rack. They're available in various sizes at any
reasonable hardware store; around $3 if you want stainless.

Yeah, that's one possibility, though the clamp sticks up above the top
of the rack, and you need a clamp large enough to go around double tubes
which is usually whats at the back of the rack.

The clips at "http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=15494" are
good for racks without a top plate, and the brackets at
"http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RG-RM" are good for racks
with a top plate.

This is how I attached my xenon strobe to a Blackburn rack, see
"http://www.nordicgroup.us/s78/images/strobeattach.jpg" but I don't like
the strobe above the rack.
Old September 17th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

landotter wrote:
On Sep 18, 4:03 am, SMS wrote:
landotter wrote:
[...]

I love zip ties, but only a Republican would use them to attach a rear
light.

"http://www.nordicgroup.us/cageboss/cagebossimages/nocableties.jpg"
"http://www.nordicgroup.us/cageboss/cagebossimages/noclamp.jpg"
Old September 17th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 18, 4:28 am, SMS wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Sep 18, 4:03 am, SMS wrote:
landotter wrote:
[...]

Only a Gyula Gömbös supporter would give up the luxury of Bor Yueh
craftsmanship over the petty details of a light mount!
Old September 17th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On 9/17/2008 12:46 PM SMS wrote:

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
(# 47 in our continuing series of dumb questions)

The lovely and talented Mrs Squirrel has requested that I buy for her
one of Nashbar's Toto Quick Release Front Basket
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=15232 for her cruiser.

I reckon that while I'm ordering from them I might as well get a rear
rack for the low-gear cruiser I'm building up from my old Specialized
Sirrus. Nashbar lists eight or so aluminum rear bike racks from the
likes of Blackburn, Delta, Bor Yeuh, Sunlight, and Ascent.

Is this the old drop bar road bike Sirrus
("http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com/") or the newer flat-bar Sirrus which
is completely different?

Flat bar kind. What's-a the diff?

[snip]

My spousal unit just demanded a QR basket as well, but she didn't like
the wicker, preferring a more modern style,
"http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-TB2001-Front-Bicycle-Basket/dp/B000FIAU3E".

That's the one that the talented and lovely Mrs Squirrel eschewed,
likening it to an office wastebasket. Thus the request for the wicker kind.

I wish there was a handlebar basket that wasn't dorky-looking like the
usual black nylon bag, or sissy-looking like a wicker basket, or
characterless like that metal mesh office wastebasket one. Something retro....

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

Old September 17th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

That's the one that the talented and lovely Mrs Squirrel eschewed,
likening it to an office wastebasket. Thus the request for the wicker kind.

I actually saw the wicker ones is a store last Sunday. Amazing, because
something as tremendously high-tech and complicated as a basket is
something that isn't easy for a bicycle store to have on the shelf. Well
one store I called did have one for $43, but it wasn't really what I wanted.

I wish there was a handlebar basket that wasn't dorky-looking like the
usual black nylon bag, or sissy-looking like a wicker basket, or
characterless like that metal mesh office wastebasket one. Something
retro....

"http://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/baskets.html"

Actually, if you go to most department stores in Asia they have a big
bicycle accessories department with baskets.
Old September 17th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On 9/17/2008 2:28 PM SMS wrote:

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

That's the one that the talented and lovely Mrs Squirrel eschewed,
likening it to an office wastebasket. Thus the request for the wicker kind.

I actually saw the wicker ones is a store last Sunday. Amazing, because
something as tremendously high-tech and complicated as a basket is
something that isn't easy for a bicycle store to have on the shelf. Well
one store I called did have one for $43, but it wasn't really what I wanted.

I wish there was a handlebar basket that wasn't dorky-looking like the
usual black nylon bag, or sissy-looking like a wicker basket, or
characterless like that metal mesh office wastebasket one. Something
retro....

"http://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/baskets.html"

Now yer talkin'!

Actually, if you go to most department stores in Asia they have a big
bicycle accessories department with baskets.

Trip to Asia not in game plan right now.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

Old September 17th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 18, 5:20 am, Mike Rocket J Squirrel

I wish there was a handlebar basket that wasn't dorky-looking like the
usual black nylon bag, or sissy-looking like a wicker basket, or
characterless like that metal mesh office wastebasket one. Something retro....

http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2006...-w-review.html
http://www.velo-orange.com/oshabag.html

Racks...Racks...Who needs a Rack??? [email protected] Racing 8 May 25th 06 07:23 PM
Car Racks Ed_Zep UK 2 April 25th 06 01:02 AM
Racks Sam Salt UK 17 January 24th 04 05:55 PM
Racks? gravelmuncher Australia 10 November 19th 03 03:40 AM
WTB: Front racks Bruce Lange Marketplace 1 July 23rd 03 01:55 AM