so you want to be a pro?

Old May 17th 11, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

Default so you want to be a pro?

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
"Steve Freides" wrote:

Scott wrote:
I'm always amazed by the folks who plug away their entire 20's,
chasing that elusive pro contract, thinking that if they just get
that one opportunity they'll make it big. All they need is someone
to notice them and it's on like donkey kong. The sad thing is,
most of those in this situation must be delusional, as it's not a
case of not being noticed, it's probably a case of just not having
the talent (are you reading this, Mike?).

Here's a case of what happens when you actually have the goods:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...-clercq_172960

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Great line: "Riders should attack a little bit more, they sometimes
look too much to each other. If you feel good, you always need to
try to attack."

I don't know that it's actually good advice. One could argue -
pretty convincingly, IMHO - that the reason he stayed away is
because no one thought a no-name-newbie was capable of staying away
for that long. The interesting thing to watch is whether he wins
more or is a one-trick wonder who had beginner's - and unknown
rider's - luck.

Of course, I apologize for actually discussing the race. I know
on-topic posting aren't allowed and we're supposed to **** and moan
about doping, old riders in old races, and our own never-realized
dreams. Again, my apologies -- I'll try not to let it happen again.

Is that sarcasm?

Nah ...

Well the last paragraph is sarcasm, not what preceded it. I actually
wouldn't mind discussing what I said that was on-topic - curious to know
if such "beginner's luck" happens in pro bike races. I don't think this
is the first time it's happened.

-S-

Old May 17th 11, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 17, 12:02*pm, "Steve Freides" wrote:

Well the last paragraph is sarcasm, not what preceded it. *I actually
wouldn't mind discussing what I said that was on-topic - curious to know
if such "beginner's luck" happens in pro bike races. *I don't think this
is the first time it's happened.

It doesn't matter how many years he has in the saddle, de Clercq rode
well any way you look at it. Scarponi on the other hand, as even
Gogulski mentioned as it was unfolding, was waiting for the exact
right moment to launch his attack and catch de C. He underestimated
de C by what appeared to be two or three watts.

Old May 17th 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
"Steve Freides" wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
"Steve Freides" wrote:

Scott wrote:
[...]

That's sarcasm, right? I'm just learning.
http://www.sarcasmsociety.com/sarcasm/howtobesarcastic/lessontwo

Well the last paragraph is sarcasm, not what preceded it.

Thanks.

I actually
wouldn't mind discussing what I said that was on-topic - curious to know
if such "beginner's luck" happens in pro bike races. I don't think this
is the first time it's happened.

I expect riders attack about as much as they can get away with,
and without burning more energy than it is worth.

--
Michael Press
Old May 17th 11, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On May 17, 10:02*am, "Steve Freides" wrote:
Michael Press wrote:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...-stage-winner-....

[...]

You guys are focused on the wrong aspect of the story. It's not that
he won, but rather someone noticed his obvious talent and brought him
up through a development system. He didn' spend years sleeping in his
Yugo and eating pb&j waiting for the big break that was never going to
come.
Old May 18th 11, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

Michael Press wrote:
I expect riders attack about as much as they can get away with,
and without burning more energy than it is worth.

Right, but that's my question - did he get away with what he did because
he was an unknown? My suspicion is that another rider of his abilities
having an equally good day (I know ...) might not have been allowed to
do it because at least some of the peleton would have reacted stronger,
sooner.

-S-