Servicing ergopower

Old January 30th 08, 07:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Default Servicing ergopower

So my 9sp veloce ergopower levers have around
25,000kms into them in all sorts of weather.
Gear shifting has become a bit hit and miss.
Position of rear derailleur depends on whether
the shift is up or down to that cog.

I'm thinking that the lever (RHS) needs taking
apart and cleaning.

Anyone done this? I had a quick look and there
seemed to be lots of little bits that could easily
get lost or go "sproing" upon loosening a nut or
bolt.

Any experiences to share?

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.
Old January 30th 08, 11:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
phillip brown

On Jan 30, 5:22 pm, DeF ""d.farrow\"@your finger.murdoch.edu.au"
wrote:
So my 9sp veloce ergopower levers have around
25,000kms into them in all sorts of weather.
Gear shifting has become a bit hit and miss.
Position of rear derailleur depends on whether
the shift is up or down to that cog.

I'm thinking that the lever (RHS) needs taking
apart and cleaning.

Anyone done this? I had a quick look and there
seemed to be lots of little bits that could easily
get lost or go "sproing" upon loosening a nut or
bolt.

Any experiences to share?

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

Actually, pretty straight forward. I have done it twice. The only
really tricky bit is getting the return spring tensioned when you put
it back in. Sounds like you will need new 'G' springs.

see http://www.campyonly.com/howto/ergotech.html or http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html
for the instructions

phillip brown
Old January 31st 08, 01:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for those tips Phillip, I've ordered some parts from Branford
Bike and will have a go at pulling it apart when they arrive.

There's actually quite an amazing wealth of info (that I should have
looked for first) including a couple of youtube videos showing
assembly and disassembly of ergolevers.

DeF

Old January 31st 08, 03:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
not all there

wrote:
[...]

What they don't show is a nice flat well lit work surface with no
crevices for small parts ot sproing out into and be lost until you've
given up looking for them (then they magically appear), *good* tools,
i.e. needle nose pliers with accurate jaws, a good set of pin punches,
and a lot of patience and a good frame of mind. The patience is
especially useful when you're learning.

MH
Old January 31st 08, 04:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

wrote:
[...]

I think I cover all those bases except the pin punches. I guess that is
for removing the brake lever. I might invest in that and a set of ring
clip pliers as per youtube video.

So far, all the things I've taken apart to investigate or fix have not
ended up being *more* broken than they were before. Some of them have
even ended up fixed or working better!

DeF

Old February 1st 08, 12:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj[_21_]

In addition to worn out g-springs, some of the older nine speed levers
(mine are the '98 model) had weak g-spring carriers. A post broke off
mine after a few thousand kilometres.

Luckily Branford had a replacement (and a reinforced one to boot) for
bugger-all money.

I love my old Campy levers. I've worn out a couple of sets of springs
in them (and the carrier) and after half an hours work, they're good as
new.

--
suzyj

Old February 1st 08, 02:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

suzyj wrote:
In addition to worn out g-springs, some of the older nine speed levers
(mine are the '98 model) had weak g-spring carriers. A post broke off
mine after a few thousand kilometres.

Luckily Branford had a replacement (and a reinforced one to boot) for
bugger-all money.

I love my old Campy levers. I've worn out a couple of sets of springs
in them (and the carrier) and after half an hours work, they're good as
new.

Yep, I like my 9-speed. Chains and sprockets last longer and I have
been hoovering up cheap 9sp cassettes so have a few spares that should
last a few years. I didn't think of the carrier - and haven't ordered
one. Hope mine is OK - I'll find out when it's all pulled apart.

DeF.

Old February 9th 08, 09:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Gemma_k

"DeF" ""d.farrow\"@your finger.murdoch.edu.au" wrote in message
suzyj wrote:
In addition to worn out g-springs, some of the older nine speed levers
(mine are the '98 model) had weak g-spring carriers. A post broke off
mine after a few thousand kilometres.

Luckily Branford had a replacement (and a reinforced one to boot) for
bugger-all money.

I love my old Campy levers. I've worn out a couple of sets of springs
in them (and the carrier) and after half an hours work, they're good as
new.

Yep, I like my 9-speed. Chains and sprockets last longer and I have
been hoovering up cheap 9sp cassettes so have a few spares that should
last a few years. I didn't think of the carrier - and haven't ordered
one. Hope mine is OK - I'll find out when it's all pulled apart.

DeF.

I actually took apart one (RH 10sp Chorus Carbon) has weekend, put in it new
G-Springs and main spring. Good as new. Didn't go back together exactly
like the you-tube video though, I had to use my chin and big screwdriver to
hold the central bolt down and then pre-tension the clock-spring using the
end of a sharpened spoke. All you need is allen keys, big flat screwdriver
,a hammer and a big nail (I didn't have a pin punch either :-)
Easy peasy.

Gemm

Old February 10th 08, 12:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Andrew Price[_3_]

Gemma_k put it thus -

I actually took apart one (RH 10sp Chorus Carbon) has weekend, put in it new
G-Springs and main spring. Good as new.

It seems to me this ability is the only real world difference between C and
S group sets.

Wear out the return spring in one Shimano lever (as you surely will) and
prepare to get hot under the collar about having to replace both *SETS* of
levers.

Worst example of price gouging I have ever experienced, and the automotive
spare part manufacturers are bad* but that silly spring fiasco is the all
time world champion.

best, Andrew

*[warning 4 wheel bit follows- block the kiddies eyes and ears-
Replacement brake master cylinder set for a lexus $2450 plus gst
Same part, under a different number for a Toyota Camry - $258
Be nice to the guy behind the parts counter, he may have valuable wisdom]

Old February 10th 08, 07:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
barry taylor

"Andrew Price" wrote in message
| Gemma_k put it thus -
|
| I actually took apart one (RH 10sp Chorus Carbon) has weekend, put in
it new
| G-Springs and main spring. Good as new.
|

| It seems to me this ability is the only real world difference between C
and
| S group sets.
|
| Wear out the return spring in one Shimano lever (as you surely will) and
| prepare to get hot under the collar about having to replace both *SETS*
of
| levers.

not necessarily so

| Worst example of price gouging I have ever experienced, and the
automotive
| spare part manufacturers are bad* but that silly spring fiasco is the
all
| time world champion.

I have just been quoted $4-500 for the replacement of my Shimano levers
after my recent gravel gathering exercise -" you can't replace one they only
come in pairs"
not necessarilly so as I discovered by going online and exploring Chain
Reaction , Pro Bike Kit, Parker International and Pedal On
first up it is possible to purchase LHS levers for some Shimano lever sets
e.g. Shimano 105 STi 10 Sp 5600 $147.86 - $184.88 for the set - so replace
the set while you're at it
secondly the various lever sets I looked at - all Shimano - ranged from
$184Aus to $287Aus

--
a friendly growl from the bear on the Zephyr that roars

__ __ __ _ __
/__/ / /__/ /_ /_\ /_ /
/_ / _ / /__/ /__ / \ / \ ....Kawasaki Zephyr

barry j taylor
Skype: ursus_australis

~~~ ~ _@
~~ (*)/ (*) . . . bjbear on his treadly

Servicing Peter UK 11 October 31st 06 01:24 AM
Servicing Saxman UK 7 March 15th 06 07:17 PM
servicing spd 535 pedals eflayer2 Techniques 4 May 29th 05 02:39 AM
Servicing New Bike Sammy General 2 February 4th 05 07:05 AM
Bike servicing phenian UK 3 March 31st 04 10:05 PM