A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Mountain Biking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

WHOOPS! A Rotorua man smashed his chest against a log while mountainbiking (New Zealand)

Old June 7th 13, 04:02 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default WHOOPS! A Rotorua man smashed his chest against a log while mountainbiking (New Zealand)

Evolution in action!

Mike

http://www.rotoruadailypost.co.nz/ne...er-72/1895333/

72-year-old injured while mountain biking

Alison King
5th Jun 2013 7:59 AM

A man was taken to hospital after crashing his bike on the Creek track in Rotorua File

A Rotorua man smashed his chest against a log while mountain biking, and in hospital asked when he would be allowed to go windsurfing again.

Ian Horlor, 72, windsurfs every day and is also a member of the weekly Wise Riding group. The group is for mountain bikers aged over 60 and meets every Tuesday at the Waipa Car Park. Yesterday he was riding with his daughter, Lisa, who leads the group, and fellow mountain biker Bryan Eckersley when he crashed on the Creek track.

Miss Horlor has praised the actions of Mountain Bike Rotorua, who came to her father's aid after she dialled 111.

"I'm usually good in situations like that but I was a complete wombat because it was my dad," Miss Horlor said.

"I just panicked I guess. They did everything they could, if I didn't have them I would have felt very much on my own."

After she made her 111 call, a call was then put through to Mountain Bike Rotorua to get into the forest to stabilise Mr Horlor while the ambulance was on its way. Tuhua Mutu helped Mr Horlor while Brad O'Malley guided the ambulance in.

"I work in the forest, my job is to coach and guide and that crew is always first on the scene," Miss Horlor said.

"They're highly-trained. They were with dad for an hour. At the end of the day they have a business to run but they dropped everything."

Mr Horlor was taken to Rotorua Hospital and treated for hypothermia as well as chest injuries.

"He's super, super fit. The first thing he asked was when he can go windsurfing again. We know he'll get better really fast."

Mr Eckersley said they were only 20 minutes into their ride when his friend slipped and crashed.

"We were having a good ride," he said.

"We went down onto Creek track and there's a wooden bridge at the bottom. I don't know if his wheel slipped but he went off the side and landed with his chest against the log. He's got the skills but it's just one of those things. It was a bit slippery - you need to get that bit right."
Ads
Old June 9th 13, 10:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
I love Mike
external usenet poster

Default WHOOPS! A Rotorua man smashed his chest against a log whilemountain biking (New Zealand)

On Friday, June 7, 2013 3:02:54 PM UTC+12, Mike Vandeman wrote:
Evolution in action!

Mike

Alison King

A man was taken to hospital after crashing his bike on the Creek track in Rotorua File

A Rotorua man smashed his chest against a log while mountain biking, and in hospital asked when he would be allowed to go windsurfing again.

Ian Horlor, 72, windsurfs every day and is also a member of the weekly Wise Riding group. The group is for mountain bikers aged over 60 and meets every Tuesday at the Waipa Car Park. Yesterday he was riding with his daughter, Lisa, who leads the group, and fellow mountain biker Bryan Eckersley when he crashed on the Creek track.

Miss Horlor has praised the actions of Mountain Bike Rotorua, who came to her father's aid after she dialled 111.

"I'm usually good in situations like that but I was a complete wombat because it was my dad," Miss Horlor said.

"I just panicked I guess. They did everything they could, if I didn't have them I would have felt very much on my own."

After she made her 111 call, a call was then put through to Mountain Bike Rotorua to get into the forest to stabilise Mr Horlor while the ambulance was on its way. Tuhua Mutu helped Mr Horlor while Brad O'Malley guided the ambulance in.

"I work in the forest, my job is to coach and guide and that crew is always first on the scene," Miss Horlor said.

"They're highly-trained. They were with dad for an hour. At the end of the day they have a business to run but they dropped everything."

Mr Horlor was taken to Rotorua Hospital and treated for hypothermia as well as chest injuries.

"He's super, super fit. The first thing he asked was when he can go windsurfing again. We know he'll get better really fast."

Mr Eckersley said they were only 20 minutes into their ride when his friend slipped and crashed.

"We went down onto Creek track and there's a wooden bridge at the bottom. I don't know if his wheel slipped but he went off the side and landed with his chest against the log. He's got the skills but it's just one of those things. It was a bit slippery - you need to get that bit right."

I don't know what your PR strategy is but it sure isn't intelligent. Gloating about the injuries suffered to mountain bikers just makes you look like a nutcase.
Old June 9th 13, 03:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default WHOOPS! A Rotorua man smashed his chest against a log whilemountain biking (New Zealand)

On Sunday, June 9, 2013 2:11:46 AM UTC-7, I love Mike wrote:

Evolution in action!

Mike

Alison King

I don't know what your PR strategy is but it sure isn't intelligent. Gloating about the injuries suffered to mountain bikers just makes you look like a nutcase.

You are LYING. Where do you see "gloating"? I just tell the truth. Mountain bikers HATE that. They have no idea what it means.
Old June 9th 13, 06:05 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Blackblade
external usenet poster

You are LYING. Where do you see "gloating"? I just tell the truth. Mountain bikers HATE that. They have no idea what it means.

To Gloat; to observe or think about something with triumphant and often malicious satisfaction, gratification, or delight gloat over an enemy's misfortune (Ref: Webster Merriam)

So, if you had written ... "Another unfortunate and tragic incident ... think carefully about whether you really want to take up mountainbiking ..." ... then, just maybe, you could claim not to be gloating.

But, you didn't, you wrote ... "Evolution in action!" ... thereby gloating over another's misfortuntes.

If you don't want to be accused of gloating ... then don't do it. Simple.
Old June 9th 13, 07:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, June 9, 2013 10:05:26 AM UTC-7, Blackblade wrote:

To Gloat; to observe or think about something with triumphant and often malicious satisfaction, gratification, or delight gloat over an enemy's misfortune (Ref: Webster Merriam)

So, if you had written ... "Another unfortunate and tragic incident ... think carefully about whether you really want to take up mountainbiking ..." ... then, just maybe, you could claim not to be gloating.

But, you didn't, you wrote ... "Evolution in action!" ... thereby gloating over another's misfortuntes.

You couldn't think your way out of a paper bag. "Evolution in action!" is a purely factual statement, and one you ought to think about, before you also become a statistic (if you haven't already). Mountain biking proves that the mentally and physically unfit are at a disadvantage.

If you don't want to be accused of gloating ... then don't do it. Simple..

I don't need to gloat. The article speaks for itself.
Old June 10th 13, 02:43 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
I love Mike
external usenet poster

On Monday, June 10, 2013 6:47:52 AM UTC+12, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Sunday, June 9, 2013 10:05:26 AM UTC-7, Blackblade wrote:

So, if you had written ... "Another unfortunate and tragic incident ... think carefully about whether you really want to take up mountainbiking ...." ... then, just maybe, you could claim not to be gloating.

You couldn't think your way out of a paper bag. "Evolution in action!" is a purely factual statement, and one you ought to think about, before you also become a statistic (if you haven't already). Mountain biking proves that the mentally and physically unfit are at a disadvantage.

If you don't want to be accused of gloating ... then don't do it. Simple.

I don't need to gloat. The article speaks for itself.

You really are a complete moron. I say this is for two reasons.First you fail to realise that you are promoting the benefits of mountain biking at redwoods in NZ through your ignorant emails which have been posted on their facebook page. Secondly, your approach will only serve to get people (including environmentalists) offside with your so called cause. No likes anyone who promotes other peoples pain and suffering despite.
Old June 10th 13, 02:52 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
I love Mike
external usenet poster

On Monday, June 10, 2013 2:47:17 AM UTC+12, Mike Vandeman wrote:

Evolution in action!

Mike

Alison King

Funny you mean the truth. You emails to the Rotorua district council show complete ignorance. You present no scientific evidence showing mountain biking is damaging anyone else's recreational experience in the area or the physical environment itself. Furthermore your emails show complete ignorance of New Zealand's environmental issues or the way the area is being managed. Maybe you should do your homework before writing your emails?
Old June 10th 13, 06:43 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
I love Mike
external usenet poster

You really are a complete moron. I say this is for two reasons.First you fail to realise that you are promoting the benefits of mountain biking at redwoods in NZ through your ignorant emails which have been posted on their facebook page. Secondly, your approach will only serve to get people (including environmentalists) offside with your so called cause. No likes anyone who promotes other peoples pain and suffering despite what you may think.
Old June 10th 13, 06:58 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
I love Mike
external usenet poster

Proves? You have not proven bugger all old chap. The only thing you have proved is that you a

1) mentally imbalanced,

2) don't understand science and

3) a first class Internet troll who tries to promote other people's suffering as a means to validate an ill thought cause.

I look forward to your delightful response with capital letters.
Old June 10th 13, 07:07 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Bozo
external usenet poster

Default WHOOPS! A Rotorua man smashed his chest against a log while mountain biking (New Zealand)

I love Mike wrote:

On Monday, June 10, 2013 2:47:17 AM UTC+12, Mike Vandeman wrote:

Evolution in action!

Mike

Alison King

A man was taken to hospital after crashing his bike on the Creek
track in Rotorua File

A Rotorua man smashed his chest against a log while mountain biking,
and in hospital asked when he would be allowed to go windsurfing
again.

Ian Horlor, 72, windsurfs every day and is also a member of the
weekly Wise Riding group. The group is for mountain bikers aged over
60 and meets every Tuesday at the Waipa Car Park. Yesterday he was
riding with his daughter, Lisa, who leads the group, and fellow
mountain biker Bryan Eckersley when he crashed on the Creek track.

Miss Horlor has praised the actions of Mountain Bike Rotorua, who
came to her father's aid after she dialled 111.

"I'm usually good in situations like that but I was a complete wombat
because it was my dad," Miss Horlor said.

"I just panicked I guess. They did everything they could, if I didn't
have them I would have felt very much on my own."

After she made her 111 call, a call was then put through to Mountain
Bike Rotorua to get into the forest to stabilise Mr Horlor while the
ambulance was on its way. Tuhua Mutu helped Mr Horlor while Brad
O'Malley guided the ambulance in.

"I work in the forest, my job is to coach and guide and that crew is
always first on the scene," Miss Horlor said.

"They're highly-trained. They were with dad for an hour. At the end
of the day they have a business to run but they dropped everything."

Mr Horlor was taken to Rotorua Hospital and treated for hypothermia
as well as chest injuries.

"He's super, super fit. The first thing he asked was when he can go
windsurfing again. We know he'll get better really fast."

Mr Eckersley said they were only 20 minutes into their ride when his
friend slipped and crashed.

"We went down onto Creek track and there's a wooden bridge at the
bottom. I don't know if his wheel slipped but he went off the side
and landed with his chest against the log. He's got the skills but
it's just one of those things. It was a bit slippery - you need to
get that bit right."

I don't know what your PR strategy is but it sure isn't intelligent.
Gloating about the injuries suffered to mountain bikers just makes you
look like a nutcase.

You are LYING. Where do you see "gloating"? I just tell the truth.
Mountain bikers HATE that. They have no idea what it means.

Funny you mean the truth. You emails to the Rotorua district council show
complete ignorance. You present no scientific evidence showing mountain
biking is damaging anyone else's recreational experience in the area or
the physical environment itself. Furthermore your emails show complete
ignorance of New Zealand's environmental issues or the way the area is
being managed. Maybe you should do your homework before writing your
emails?

He doesn't need to do research -- he claims to have a P, H, D !!
If so, why isn't he busy writing articles, researching and/or teaching in a
college or university? Or even a high school?
I truly doubt he has a terminal degree of any kind from a university of any
accreditation. And it doesn;t take long to realize he's obviously unable to
have any reasonable discourse of ideas.

MV has been ranting on the internet for close to 2 decades now and has even
been noted and cited in mainstream publications. He probably thinks he's a
hero saving mankind -- certainly a legend in his own mind. I personally feel
bad for this guy as he's likely a bomb waiting to go off. The internet keeps
him from doing that, I hope. As long as he remains behind the keyboard, the
world's a better place, but...

I only hope he doesn't turn his misguided anger into an attack on some poor
woman or child some day, which is a distinct possibility and like all of his
deranged postings, very sad when you think about it. Although he makes