Bunch ride 5

Old July 18th 04, 10:43 AM
Geoff

Default Bunch ride 5

"jazmo" wrote in message

Geoff Wrote:

My stats.
Minimum Temperature 1 degree
Max Temp 12 degrees
Average Temp 6 degrees
Average Heart Rate 160 bpm
Maximum Heart Rate 187 bpm
Average Speed 26.0 km/h
Maximum Speed 76.7 km/h
Distance 115.8 km
Average Cadence 83 rpm
Maximum Cadence 122 rpm

Total Ascent 1125 m

Nice stats. What are you using to collect them?

--
jazmo

Polar 720i with Cadence Sensor.
The stats above are only a subset of the total available stats.
All data except for the Max, Min and Avg Temperatures can be uploaded to a
PC for further graphical analysis. On the PC displayed temperature data is
that which is recorded when the user manually marks a lap or waypoint during
the course of a ride.

Geoff

Old July 18th 04, 11:15 AM
DaveB

What time did you leave at. We left Westfield Doncaster at 7:30. We waited
a little longer just in case Tony was running late.

I left at 7:30 from Bulleen. The route I took to K Ground was about was
about 4km less than you guys so I probably only missed you by 5 mins or so.

Cold!!! Check my reply to flyingdutch if you want to know how cold it was.
I suppose we should be grateful we live in Melbourne not Canberra.

1 degree, yikes!! 5 degrees is usually my limit before I need to cover
the arms and legs so I figured it must have been something like that.

btw. How did the new shoes and pedals go?

They went well. My arches were aching a bit but I think that was just my
(lack of) pedalling style. Once I started thinking about pulling up on
the pedals on the upstroke the aching went away. Guess it will take a
couple of weeks to get used to. But what a difference on the uphill,
especially when I stand up on the pedals.

DaveB

Old July 18th 04, 07:36 PM
DRS

"flyingdutch" wrote
in message
perhaps everyones aim (beside Geoff and I. we are now wearing the
smug' jersey :-) ) should have been to GET OUT OF BED!!!
so it rained overnight! not a drop this morning

I was actually out of bed at 7:30 that morning. I was surprised at how good
the weather was, and how light it was (then again, we are past the winter
solstice). No way I'm going to do an 80km ride at that time of day though.
Fortunately it's all too far away from St Kilda.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 18th 04, 09:42 PM
flyingdutch

DRS Wrote:

I was actually out of bed at 7:30 that morning. I was surprised at how
good
the weather was, and how light it was (then again, we are past the
winter
solstice). No way I'm going to do an 80km ride at that time of day
though.
Fortunately it's all too far away from St Kilda.
[/color]

as we were freezing in a valley out there, i was vagueing off wondering
whether it would be warmer along beach rd. the only thing that seems to
make it REALLY cold down there is wind...

--
flyingdutch

Old July 18th 04, 10:39 PM
DRS

"flyingdutch" wrote
in message
DRS Wrote:

I was actually out of bed at 7:30 that morning. I was surprised at
how good
the weather was, and how light it was (then again, we are past the
winter
solstice). No way I'm going to do an 80km ride at that time of day
though.
Fortunately it's all too far away from St Kilda.

as we were freezing in a valley out there, i was vagueing off
wondering whether it would be warmer along beach rd. the only thing
that seems to make it REALLY cold down there is wind...
[/color]

Maybe, maybe not. The beach is usually a degree or so cooler than inland (a
modest boon in summer). Southerly winds are always a bitch in winter no
matter where you are.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 19th 04, 03:22 AM
kyra

sorry lads... i was in a bad state on both friday and slightly better on
saturday night, but in no shape to ride on sunday.. hope the ride went
well... i too tried to post but it was playing up.

i'll try and make it for this weekend, but yeah, looking like another
write-off!

Geoff, can you recommend a place to get the S720? I have seen them on
ebay for 410AUD with the s520 going for 385AUD. My nike triax is giving
me f' all info compared to you guys!

thanks,
Bill

--
kyra
Old July 19th 04, 05:22 AM
tonykara

bill,

ive got a web site that has them cheap. i will check it out and post it
tonight

--
tonykara
Old July 19th 04, 11:38 AM
tonykara

the site is www.scalesgalore.com
their price is AUD $448 delivered from the US. this is more than ebay
but is the one you saw brand new?

--
tonykara
Old July 19th 04, 12:50 PM
Geoff

Geoff, can you recommend a place to get the S720? I have seen them on
ebay for 410AUD with the s520 going for 385AUD. My nike triax is giving
me f' all info compared to you guys!

thanks,
Bill

--
kyra

I can't really recommend anywhere in particular because I'm a little out of
touch with the current prices for these things. Once you have one you tend
to stop shopping around. I got mine from www.dickinson.com.au who are in
Fitzroy. My guess is the price of the 720i will start to drop as the new
model, 725i, starts to replace it so there should be some good prices
starting to appear.
Before you buy from OS you might want to check if the warranty will still be
honoured here in Aust. just in case you require it.
Also to complete the package you will want to get yourself the infra-red
gizmo for uploading your data to a PC and a Cadence Sensor Kit. (and if you
really really want the "power output sensor kit")

I would never class the 720i as a replacement for a wired cycle computer as
it, being wireless, can sometimes give incorrect readings when riding
anywhere near HT powerlines or Trams. I use it to complement the data from
the wired computer and record the ride data for later analysis. I also find
the delay in displaying Cadence info slightly annoying on the 720i so I
generally use the wired computer for this as it gives realtime info.

Geoff

Old July 19th 04, 01:03 PM
hippy

"flyingdutch" wrote

Hippy was obviously off marshalling (or recovering from Saturday's
antarctic marshalling session) and Tony and Kyra. well...

Yeah.. all day Saturday AND Sunday... was gonna post my
ride apologies but didn't have time. Next week I should be
all clear for a bunch thang.

My new loop takes in Stage 1 of the DeBortoli Yarra Valley tour:
http://db-tour.bl.echidna.id.au/perl/stages.pl?stage=1

hippy

Bunch ride 3 flyingdutch Australia 111 July 14th 04 04:56 AM
Bunch ride tonykara Australia 44 July 1st 04 01:10 PM
Another interminable write up of a ride Mikefule Unicycling 9 April 1st 04 05:15 AM
2003 Illinois AITC ride report(long) harryo Recumbent Biking 14 September 9th 03 01:01 AM
2003 RSVP (post ride ramblings) William Higley, Sr. Recumbent Biking 0 August 11th 03 02:07 AM